• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Guy needing BASIC help with programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodyschassis

First off, I'm new. Just joined a few minutes ago. Second, I'm not a radio guy. I use my radios in my race car, and for my volunteer fire dept. Third, I'm hopefully not asking any question that I'm not supposed to according to the rules.
There thats out of the way....what I need help with.
As I said I use my radios to race with. When we go from sanctioning body to sanctioning body, everyone's got their own frequency. Some times its not so bad cause there'll be a radio guy there that can change it for me. Sometimes tho, there is no guy, and I get stuck leaving my radios in the trailer cause there on the wrong frequency, and have to rent from the sanctioning body.
The other scenario is, I use them for volunteering at my local fire department. Well, if another department switches frequencies....I'm off to the radio shop and dropping 15-20 bucks a pop.
Is there anyway, anywhere that I can buy the stuf to change the frequencies myself? Thus saving myself in the long run. Any frequency I would be programming into my radio; I have permission to be on.
I own Radius SP50 by Motorola radios. I own 3 of them. They are currently set us as 2 channel radios, but I was poking around some gadget website and it said that the 2 channel radios could be programmed with 10 channels by simply adding the channels through programming, and changing the 2 channel knob to a 10 channel knob. Well, I lifted my knob slightly, and sure enough, there are 10 detents in the switch. The knob however has a lock out section on it that only allows it to be in 2 positions. Is it really that simple to turn my 2 channel radios into 10 channel radios??

I really could use some guidance.....can I make or buy something to do what I wanting, or is this way over my head and I need to go to my local radio guy?
Thanks for your imput, Sonny

aaronp

In order to do what you want to do, you'll need:
1- A computer (duh, right?). Some of the older software REQUIRES an older computer (we're talking 386 and 486 processors here). I'm not sure if the SP50's fall in that range.
2- A RIB. That's short for Radio Interface Box. It connects from the serial port on your computer to a special cable made to connect to the radio. It converts the serial signal to one the radio can handle (ttl). One RIB can program most of the programmable radios, with the right cable. Usually costs $100-$300
3- The specific interface cable for your model radio. Some are cables, some are programming stands, I beleive the SP50 uses a drop in stand that looks like the charger, but has some extra pins. Costs - the straight cable ones are usually 20-50 bucks the drop in stands, probably a little more.

Those were the easy parts to get, now the tough one.
4 - The software. Also known as RSS (Radio System Software?). This is made by Motorola, and sold by Motorola. It's almost impossible for a normal person to just buy it from motorola. This means you need to find another way to obtain the software. Motorola has, in the past, taken legal action against anyone that even hints that they will give, or sell you the software, so it is usually a HUGE NO NO to ask for it online. Doing so can get you kicked off of many forum sites.

Converting a 2ch SP50 to 16ch is pretty easy. Modify the channel selector, and load the appropriate software. They'll even do scan.

Batwing Laboratories has more details on the nitty-gritty of mods and programming.

colby4601

It's almost impossible for a normal person to just buy it from motorola. This means you need to find another way to obtain the software.

Not true at all. You need a MOL account and then Motorola will contact you with your intents and then they'll give you access to the software, which you have to pay for.

In no way is it impossible or even almost impossible.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
If the SP-50s work good, ya hate to toss them. However in you case, you'll have to spend big $$$ and the headache of getting your own programming setup. SP50s use a DOS program so an older computer is in order (search threads).

I don't know what the shop charges you to reprogram, but if you have to go back to reprogram for different races, it adds up.

My suggestion is bite the bullet and get new radios that are FIELD PROGRAMMABLE! Not only do they have hundreds of channels now, but if something comes up you can add a channel without all the computer/cable crap.

woodyschassis

Thanks for the help guys, or gals, whichever the case maybe. I appreciate the quick response. I took all of your advise and found a local radio guy that is gonna take care of it for me. He's already got the whatever to do it, and has agreed to charge me a FAIR price. So, he's got the work....Thanks again!!!
Sonny
p.s. Field Programmable radios are on the want list as of now!

Status
Not open for further replies.