New Guy needing Freq's and a Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

angus0429

New Jersey, Ocean County

Countywide Fire and EMS
Ocean Township (Waretown)

Im just getting into radio. I want to get started in HAM and monitoring so i can stay ahead of getting paged out for fire calls and start out in amatuer radio for a hobby.

Note: Could someone recommend me a radio to start out with? I would greatly appreciate it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As to the frequencies - go to the blue toolbar under the site title, and you'll see a link called Databases Float your mouse over it, and select Frequency Database Click on NJ on the map or use the various pulldowns to get to Ocean County NJ's listings.

best regards..Mike

WAScanMan

The frequencies for your county can be found here:
Ocean County, New Jersey (NJ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Looks like there's some digital and trunking system there so I'd advise you to get a digital(Apco-25) capable scanner. Radio Shack has their Pro-106 on sale still for I believe $299.99. If you get a USB cord, programming software, and a RR premium subscription it's almost too easy to program.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
New Jersey, Ocean County

Countywide Fire and EMS
Ocean Township (Waretown)

Im just getting into radio. I want to get started in HAM and monitoring so i can stay ahead of getting paged out for fire calls and start out in amatuer radio for a hobby.

Note: Could someone recommend me a radio to start out with? I would greatly appreciate it.

It looks like that town use's a digital trunked radio system so you would need a digital capable scanner like the Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT or the GRE PSR-600.

Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT Police Scanner Radio

GRE PSR-600 Police Scanner Radio

If you want to get into HAM radio you could ask about it in the Amateur radio section of the fourm.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
And if you are wanting to buy a radio that will work on that system well you will have to talk to the company that sells radios to the fire department and look to pay $1500.00 or more and you will need a letter from the fire chief stating they can sell you the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.