New guy needs a little help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narpho

Looking for some advice on a mobile antenna setup. I’m looking for a setup that would allow me to participate in the local drive time rag chew on 2m/70cm and provide for some reach when taking a road trip. I read through other threads here and some suggest drilling holes and installing an NMO mount. Which I understand and have no problem with. Here’s my problem; I park in a parking deck everyday. I only have inches of clearance from the top of my full-size SUV. I thought about a motorized mount attached to my roof rack, but there are few on the market and running the cable through a door jam did not sound like a good long term solution. Maybe a bumper or under the bumper mount with an antenna that extend a few inches above the top of the vehicle? Again, I would have to figure out how to run the coax. Maybe the Larsen glass mount? I understand the results of the Larsen will be mixed but it may be the best option. I also thought about two antennas, one for local use (maybe the glass mount) and another much better taller mag mount I put on for road trips. Any thoughts?

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a dual band that is 1/2 wave at VHF, mounted on am "L" bracket in the hood gap is your best option. That design is usually 5/8 over 5/8 on UHF, so lots of gain. Larsen NMO 2/70 is about the toughest out there.

Diamond NR770 would work, and Comet makes something similar.

Narpho

Thank you for the ideas! The NMO 2/70 looks great and I'll probably pick one up. I've also thought about a lip mount like this one to be attached vertical on the rear hatch -Diamond Antenna K400 Series Trunk and Hatchback Mounts. If the cable is thin I may be able to route it without causing too much wear and tear.

Status
Not open for further replies.