New guy needs pointed in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

THEnewbie

Hey yall, I have been searching around the sight for a few days but cant seem to find an answer so I made an account so i could ask. I have a Uniden trunktrackerIII the BCT15X model and I dont know where to look on here for help on updating it. The frequencies where i live have changed and my scanner wont pick up anything. Can someone point me where i should look because I am a complete newb at all of this.EDIT: just saw the requirements oops haha i live in person county nc. Thanx for reading.

Last edited:

THEnewbie

I dont know how i missed that when i was reading on the uniden site but i guess im blind. Thanx for the help i will try that out as soon as i can.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Since you mentioned that you need to find new frequencies, the link given earlier won't help - but this will -

Programming Your Uniden Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Anything in blue in the article above is a link. You will need to do some reading (and look in our database to see if we have the new freqs you need), so get comfortable, you're going to be here awhile;

a. Go to the Easier to Read homepage and download the manual for the BCT15X. Scanner Master also sells a printed version. Before you go any further, read this - discard the manual the scanner came with.

b. Our Uniden DMA FAQ will fill you in on many topics the Easer to Read manual doesn't. It also has a brief article explaining systems, sites, groups and quick keys - key concepts to understanding how to program these DMA based radios

c. To program this with software, you will first need a USB-serial converted. While Scanner Master sells the USB-1, there are several other off the shelf ones that are known to work. See the Connecting scanners via USB article for a list of examples, along with an explanation on how to use Windoze Device Manager to diagnose connection issues.

d. There are 4 packages that will program this radio - ProScan, ARC-XT, FreeScan and BcTool. Probably the most popular one is FreeScan, as its name implies, it's freeware. The User Guide for FreeScan is linked in the above article - the DMA Scanner Software Support article at the bottom has the links for all 4 of these packages.

e. Lastly you need data. If you purchase a premium subscription you can download data from our database (all 4 packages are compatible with the web service, although BcTool requires purchase of the Pro version for this). Alternately you can go to our NC Forum and ask for a file. Note that FreeScan can import Butel ARC and UASD files directly.

That's a lot, I know - take it one step at a time, ask lots of questions. That's what we're here for...Mike

THEnewbie

oh my gosh! haha yeah there will be plenty of questions to ask. I read all of that twice and it sounds like a foreign language to me. Hopefully i can figure this out without the need of an aspirin lolz. thanx for all the input.

THEnewbie

i cant seem to find the easier to read homepage where can i find this? I am not real good with computers or scanners so there will be plenty of dumb questions like this one.

THEnewbie

Yeah i found it right after i posted that. After reading all my brain can handle ive come up with a few questions. In the scripture of this easy to read manual what is the icon that has a black square with a white circle in it? Also the previously mentioned article about connecting scanners via usb, is that in its own area or is it like a sub category?

N8IAA

scripture of this easy to read manual what is the icon that has a black square with a white circle in it? Also the previously mentioned article about connecting scanners via usb, is that in its own area or is it like a sub category?
That is the big knob on the right of the scanner. That is the button you push to scroll through the Menu of the scanner.
The scanner should have come with a serial/db9 to a mini connector that goes into the front of the radio. There is also a USB to mini connector that Uniden sells. Using either connector is how you connect to the software programs, and the internet to upload updates to the scanner.
HTH,
Larry

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah i found it right after i posted that. After reading all my brain can handle ive come up with a few questions. In the scripture of this easy to read manual what is the icon that has a black square with a white circle in it? Also the previously mentioned article about connecting scanners via usb, is that in its own area or is it like a sub category?

Just click on the link - they're always in blue, both here and in the wiki - I gave earlier. The USB article is linked right at the top, last paragraph in the top box

Mike

THEnewbie

Thanks guys, its gonna be real slow goin for me but I will get the hang of this eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.