New Guy..Scanner advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

adevine

Hello all, Im thinking about purchasing a scanner. Im out in west county near Six Flags.
My questions are simple I think.

1) Is the county going encrypted? Is there much to listen to?
2) Do I need digital to listen to basic police and fire?
3) What scanners to stay away from, and maybe a model or two you all would suggest with price range...

Thanks for reading and any help is greatly appreciated.

teufler

OK, where in Missouri because some counties and cities are still analog, though the state is digital. If you arfe on a budget, and your area is heavy analog, there are less expensive scanners that would get you going. As Gonefishin states, Uniden makes good scanners and the three he listed are analog and digital.. Whistler is making competing models. Not real familar with the Proiscan software, Butel makes good software. Really all the software is about the same, the "look" is different and each has alittle difference from others. Welcome to the hobby.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Really all the software is about the same, the "look" is different and each has alittle difference from others.

That's not really accurate. Consider also what each software package has to offer such as Find & Replace, Find Duplicates, Text Justify, Sort options, Upload only channels that's been changed, Copy & Paste and Drag & Drop nodes to other instances and systems, changing system type, Import and Export various formats, database options, Google Maps, etc.

Last edited:

djm448

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, Im thinking about purchasing a scanner. Im out in west county near Six Flags.
My questions are simple I think.

1) Is the county going encrypted? Is there much to listen to?
2) Do I need digital to listen to basic police and fire?
3) What scanners to stay away from, and maybe a model or two you all would suggest with price range...

Thanks for reading and any help is greatly appreciated.

1. Law Enforcement in St. Louis County is all encrypted. Fire/EMS is not at this time, with exception of a couple of dedicated TAC channels that are encrypted if needed.

2. A digital scanner is needed to listen to the SLATER system. However, Fire/EMS dispatching also is broadcasted on VHF channels still, due to station alerting.

3. A dual-band scanner gives you opportunity to listen to both conventional & digital radio systems. My only experience is with the Uniden BCD996P2. That will run you about $350 or so. Others hopefully will chime in and offer feedback on this topic.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.