New guy with a Grundig 450dlx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycnewbee

I just purchased a new (from EBay) Grundig 450dlx. Sound and performance seem just fine but I did have one concern. If I look at the LCD head on even with eye level the screen is not very clear, but if I look at it slightly upwards or downwards its crystal clear. (does that make sense Is that normal? Has anyone else experienced this and should I send it back?

Any insight is truly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

ermin

I just purchased a new (from EBay) Grundig 450dlx. Sound and performance seem just fine but I did have one concern. If I look at the LCD head on even with eye level the screen is not very clear, but if I look at it slightly upwards or downwards its crystal clear. (does that make sense Is that normal? Has anyone else experienced this and should I send it back?

Any insight is truly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Send it back. The first time I changed batteries in mine it changed the FM reception coverage to 100 to 118. new batteries and many many resets will not put it back, Volume knob very very noisy after first year.

Good Luck

Ermin

nycnewbee

Thank you so much for let me know. I see you had some troubles.
It's definitely odd.... It I angle it slightly its fine. Then I found this product while googling my issue and it made it seem as if it was normal.

Radio Stand Large

As in that was a resolution to a normally bad screen.

mainetrunk

I just got a Grundig 450dlx, I almost regret it. Thats why I'm aiming for an Alinco. The dlx only searches for radio stations, you want to hear ANYTHING else than a radio, you will be turning that knob for hours. Real good for the shoulders.. My opinion.

nycnewbee

I really did get it for AM/FM/SW so I really cant complain about that. I used to have a Grundig 350 so I new what I was getting into.

nycnewbee

But how is your LCD? If you look it dead on..... It looks faded and not sharp. If I angle id down or up a little its sharp.

RC286

Ahh, 10-4..I didn't. But, yeah it receives AM/FM/SW really well. 1270 WTSN is 7 miles from me, as the crow flies. Enjoy

7 miles isnt much for AM. I can easily receive 920 KFRY from portage la prairie here in winnipeg in my
basement with a small 2xAA powered 4 transistor radio. (approx 50+ Km or 30+ miles)

I almost considered buying that rig, but after reading reviews, and then the fact that the G3 went on sale
for near 50% off, i opted for that. The SSB feature on the G3 that the 450 doesn't have is nice if your
interested in copying any of the different amateur modes.

G3 is also a hit and miss radio from what I have heard, I guess I was a lucky one. Never had a problem
with mine. Thing is very sensitive, even with the telescoping whip. If I plug in my loop or
a longwire, its sensitivity is awesome.

nycnewbee

Emailed the folks at Eton and they said it was probably a misaligned LCD and it definitely needs to go back.... We shall see how the next one works.

Thanks for the input!

nanZor

Was it nearly unusably bad, or just *slightly* faded head on? I have that issue on my 450, but it is not out of spec really.

Without an adjustable contrast control, many engineers avoid the "head on" angle for clarity. They prefer to adjust lcd contrast just a little bit angled to help avoid reflections from the display when viewed head-on.

nycnewbee

Looked almost powered off while eye level. If I held it in lower or higher it was tack sharp. Sounds like quality control is kind if shotty. Hope the new one isn't worse off.

nycnewbee

Second Grundig 450 just as bad and scratched screen so it just went back for refund. Any idea if quality control is better on a Grundig 750 Satellite radio?

majoco

Stirrer
I'm still very happy with my Degen 1103 after 5 years despite its strange ergonomics - once you get used to them, it's a damn good receiver - and it's less than $100!

nycnewbee

I actually have a tecsun 660 on the way. I have a tecsun 380 which is fine for what it is but the sound is too tinny to leave on too long with out headphones. I was hoping to get a decent fm radio with some warm tones. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.