New Guy with a Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JusticeSRQ

Hey folks my name is Phil i am from Sarasota, Fl
Now imagine that a new guy with a question, sorry i can't be more original guys but im new. Im new to using scanners in general and so forth. I am and have been big into CB radios, thats somewhat of where my curiosity for getting a scanner spawned off of. Also I found a scanner that looked like a pretty good deal on craigslist. I just picked up a RadioShack Pro-94 handheld (1000 Channel w/ dual Trunking) the guy also gave me a inch thick book called "Radio Shack Police Call Frequency Guide *Codes*Maps*Trunking". It was only 35 bux for the book and the scanner and the scanner works. Seem like a good deal? So far i think im getting a lil familiar with it, I found a good site with programming procedures etc. I dont know if the freq in this book are still up to date around here or not I don't seem to be recieving much other than common weather channels. I'm in Sarasota, Florida (Sarasota County). Is anyone else in the forum local or nearby me? Thanks Guys Look forward to learning and sharing with you.

~Phil

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

jleverin

Welcome the great world of scanning! You will find this website a great reference for learning about your scanner and how to get the most out of it. I came here a little over a year ago after buying my first scanner since age 15(about 30 years), practically everything I know about scanning came from here. You will find that once you figure that radio out, you will have a blast with it! I find myself more and more with the scanner on either at home or in the car, scanning is like a whole other world out there that most people don't even realize what's happening every day all around them! I am officially hooked on the darned thing and am starting to get my husband hooked as well as I sometimes listen it to it in the evening when were sitting around in the family room and he's surfing the web. He's starting to notice it's kind of fun. I am waiting for the day he decides he wants one of his own.....

JusticeSRQ

Looks like i should be able to pick up those frequencies if i have trunking on my radio set to EADCS mode correct?? if you look, on the list for FL it says Fruitville and thats here.

n4yek

Looks like i should be able to pick up those frequencies if i have trunking on my radio set to EADCS mode correct?? if you look, on the list for FL it says Fruitville and thats here.

You will be able to pick up the freqs, but as MrRevesz has already stated, you won't hear too much.
Most of your county is Digital, the Pro 94 is not a digital scanner.
It looks like you will hear Emergency Management and maybe the Fire Department tone outs, but not much
more than that.

JusticeSRQ

http://www.tampascanner.info/fl/sara.htm

Check this site out, ive found some channels that say they run on the motorola type II trunking. I do get some sort of wierd noises and squealing etc. Someone like you would when ya call someone who has dial up and is online. Any ideas Im wondering if im just missing something in the procedure of entering a channel

JusticeSRQ

Ok so i guess what you guys are getting at is i purchased something that was ancient technology as far as scanners go? Just wondering if I wasted my money or if there are any other things airports etc that I should be able to listen to or if analog trunking is pretty much phased out? Like I said i dont really know much about using a scanner so I thought i was getting a good deal but it seems im not able to pick anything other than WX channels in the area. Sorry if im sounding a little whiney but im a bit frustrated because ive spent a couple hours learning how to program this thing and haven't seen any fruits of my labor yet. :(

N8IAA

http://www.tampascanner.info/fl/sara.htmCheck this site out, ive found some channels that say they run on the motorola type II trunking. I do get some sort of wierd noises and squealing etc. Someone like you would when ya call someone who has dial up and is online. Any ideas Im wondering if im just missing something in the procedure of entering a channel

The frequency link doesn't let you know that your county is DIGITAL as a couple of people have said in the above posts. The 94 that you bought is good for analog trunktracking and conventional (VHF/UHF) frequencies. You will need a newer digital scanner to listen to your FD, PD, SO, etc.. Pro-96/2096, Uniden 396/996, GRE 500/600. All fall into the $350-$500 range. Most of Florida is digital. 30 years is a long time in scanner years:) A lot has changed in the hobby and the scanners that are now available. It has changed drastically in the last 5 years. Don't let this be a hindrance in enjoying the hobby. Ask in the Florida forum for what you can listen to in analog. Trains, VHF air, are a couple of things that come to mind. If you live near the coast: USCG and marine traffic would make for interesting listening. Definitely ham radio in the 145-148Mhz and 440-448Mhz range when weather is a concern.
Larry

Last edited:

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
Ok so i guess what you guys are getting at is i purchased something that was ancient technology as far as scanners go? Just wondering if I wasted my money or if there are any other things airports etc that I should be able to listen to or if analog trunking is pretty much phased out? Like I said i dont really know much about using a scanner so I thought i was getting a good deal but it seems im not able to pick anything other than WX channels in the area. Sorry if im sounding a little whiney but im a bit frustrated because ive spent a couple hours learning how to program this thing and haven't seen any fruits of my labor yet. :(

A 35$ piece of equipment that works my friend, is never a waste of money! There's plenty of stuff you can listen to on your scanner besides the trunked system, if you click on the link I sent you in the above post, and scroll to the bottom you'll see a link to click for the airport. That'll give you frequencies for your local airport...

Also, your county may be digital, but think about when you go on vacation and what not, there's bound to be some interesting stuff to listen to then!

JusticeSRQ

Well im starting to feel better because i got my pro94 and this huge book for 35$ and they radios seem to bring 80$ or so on ebay. Thanks for your help ive asked for local freq help in the FL forum and appreciate your input. Sorry for the venting just seemed like i was gonna have to turn around and spend 300bux or better to hear anything good. Is there such a thing as upgrading or updating a radio to digital or no??

MrRevesz

Premium Subscriber
There is, but on certain radios. Yours unfortunately isn't one of them. But cheer up, i'm sure in a few days you'll be hearing stuff that gets you on the edge of your chair

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Phil and welcome,

You're off to a bang up start but don't be so quick to upgrade before you find your way around the hobby. That's the real waste of money, having brand new gear and not really knowing what to do with it. There's plenty more to listen to than the local po-lice and county mounties so just experiment using the book as a guide. Of course we're here to help and don't forget the database and Wiki. The trouble with print media is some information may be out of date at the time of publication in this fast paced world of communications and that's what we're all about here constantly updating the files and posting in the forums.

Since you're new here's a bit of advice about posting on this or any related forum; there is no such thing as a stupid question, only one that is phrased stupidly. (If I see an LOL in the header I skip that thread, it's "stupid" and the poster knows it.) Every question you are about to ask has already been answered one way or another, all you need to do is LOOK for the answer.

1) Seek the information on your own and most likely you'll find it in the database, Wiki or an archived thread and we have a search engine for that.

2) Failing that ask where the information may be found.

3) If all else fails (and I mean that, don't give up so easy) ask the question directly.

The whole point is learning how do do your own homework, use your mind and think rather than relying on others for the simple solution. This builds character and teaches you self reliance and independence which will make you a leader rather than a follower, a ram rather than a sheep. OK Dan'l Boone, have at 'em! (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.