New guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

scojac

Hi, just signed up with RadioReference and just purchased my first scanner. It is a Uniden BCT 15. I installed it as a mobile in my truck. Also I installed an external mirror mount antenna. Now comes the problem, being a newbie I don't have a clue how to program new freq. into the scanner. Just going through the manual for programming seems a bit complicated. The software available for programming looks a bit easier than manual. Also where can I find the freq. needed for Nova Scotia? I live in Cape Breton but I am not sure how far the scanner will receive signals from the Nova Scotia mainland. Maybe there are plenty freq. in the Cape Breton area to provide coverage. Hopefully someone out there may have some suggestions for me. If I could contact someone in my area to program it for me that would be great. Thanks for now and I would appreciate any input on the subject.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
Hi, just signed up with RadioReference and just purchased my first scanner. It is a Uniden BCT 15. I installed it as a mobile in my truck. Also I installed an external mirror mount antenna. Now comes the problem, being a newbie I don't have a clue how to program new freq. into the scanner. Just going through the manual for programming seems a bit complicated. The software available for programming looks a bit easier than manual. Also where can I find the freq. needed for Nova Scotia? I live in Cape Breton but I am not sure how far the scanner will receive signals from the Nova Scotia mainland. Maybe there are plenty freq. in the Cape Breton area to provide coverage. Hopefully someone out there may have some suggestions for me. If I could contact someone in my area to program it for me that would be great. Thanks for now and I would appreciate any input on the subject.
This is the TMR in Nova Scotia:

Scanner Frequencies: Aliant Trunked Mobile Radio (TMR) Trunking System, Province-Wide, Multi-State

There should be at least a site or two near you that you can hear. You will be SOL for the RCMP as they are digital but if you look under the "Mode" column the ones that are "A" (analog) you will be able to hear. Also check under your county for some more local stuff.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=107

Scroll to the bottom of the page that I linked to above and you will see two links to local Maritime sites. Some of it is a bit out fo date but lots of it is good.

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Welcome to RadioReference! I don't think there is a lot of frequently updated data for your area (not much discussion at least) so maybe you can be the guinea pig :)

I'm sure you will enjoy your BCT-15, and you are correct that programming via software is much easier than by hand. It's nice to know how to do things by hand though (especially when you are out and about and you need to change something). There are a few software packages that you can check out. Unidens own USAD software, ARC15 from Butel and FreeScan all come to mind. The Arc software is pretty popular and I believe comes with a free trial. FreeScan on the other hand is, well... free. And seems to work quite well. Maybe give those a try and see what you like best, and the links above will get you started with some frequency information. Don't forget the BCT-15 has the ever handy Close Call feature that will help you turn up all sorts of active frequencies around you. So will just spending a little time and searching thru the bands manually (careful, it gets addictive though! :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.