New ham IRLP help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kd9bku

Ok yes I'm new and still trying to figure things out. There are a couple of repeaters in my area and I hear one that locals use and go to other repeaters in different states. Do they just type in the code from their radio to make that happen?
2 part question, another repeater seems to be hooked up to the Winn (?) system a lot of the time. I listen in and it's all west coast people talking. Can jump in on that or do I need to code or computer program to make that happen?
Thanks for any advise!

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
Ok yes I'm new and still trying to figure things out. There are a couple of repeaters in my area and I hear one that locals use and go to other repeaters in different states. Do they just type in the code from their radio to make that happen?

More or less. Most transceivers will transmit telephone tones (DTMF) and that's what usually used. For instance on my local repeater I just turn on the transmitter and type in the pound key followed by the four digit node number to connect that repeater to another one that has that other node number. This is called "IRLP" and is basically just using the internet to connect two repeaters

2 part question, another repeater seems to be hooked up to the Winn (?) system a lot of the time. I listen in and it's all west coast people talking. Can jump in on that or do I need to code or computer program to make that happen?
Thanks for any advise!

If they are using IRLP you can just join in. Once the two repeaters are connected anyone can talk over the connection until the connection is turned off. There are also "reflectors" that can connect up a whole network of repeaters. Our Monday night net uses node 9005 and any repeater anywhere in the world that has an IRPL connection can connect to it. Although having a whole bunch of nodes connected can cause quite a bit of confusion.

rapidcharger

You should ask the repeater owner if the node is open for anyone to control.
Most repeaters around here that have/had IRLP required users to be a member of the club to get access codes. So you might have to do that. Then again, maybe not. It's an e-mail.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
You should ask the repeater owner if the node is open for anyone to control.
Most repeaters around here that have/had IRLP required users to be a member of the club to get access codes. So you might have to do that. Then again, maybe not. It's an e-mail.

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Also, it's not really good manners to tie up a repeater with an IRLP connection for long periods of time. It sort of makes it unavailable for other users who just want to make local calls.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If it's the K9DC repeaters (147.315 and 443.425) that the OP is referring to, the web site listed below should answer some of your questions. And, yes, Dave would prefer that you register with him before using his repeaters for linking.

K9IP - DREGS.US

Status
Not open for further replies.