New Hanover County Trunking System

16b

Premium Subscriber
If the system ID mysteriously changed I would wonder if the WACN maybe changed, too.
I’m planning to be in the Carolina beach area soon, too, and planning to bring my G5, so I appreciate the research. For now I programmed the system using wildcard (all Fs) for the system ID, WACN, RFSSS, and site number. I am also planning to bring an SDR to look at the system with in case somebody doesn’t figure out the issue before then.

RadioComm

Premium Subscriber
RFSS and Site ID the same?
If the system ID mysteriously changed I would wonder if the WACN maybe changed, too.
I’m planning to be in the Carolina beach area soon, too, and planning to bring my G5, so I appreciate the research. For now I programmed the system using wildcard (all Fs) for the system ID, WACN, RFSSS, and site number. I am also planning to bring an SDR to look at the system with in case somebody doesn’t figure out the issue before then.

Currently displayed on the SDS100:

SYS ID 1B9
Site ID 2
WACN BEE00h
NAC 1B0h

Reactions: 16b

16b

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the detailed information and the detective work! I suspected it was not a “Unication problem” as someone earlier suggested.

trumpetman

Database Admin
This has been updated in the database. Thanks for figuring that out.

A quick suggestion I've learned the hard way with using a Unication, for the single zone systems I'm unfamiliar with/haven't verified information personally, I recommend leaving the site & RFSS as a wildcard. The typical upgrade path for a system these days is to split the system and change site numbers.

For example a 12 channel system will split 6 channels into a new "site" with new/upgraded equipment and convert users over and then bring the remaining six channels over to the "new" site. Nothing has really changed but the hardware and the site number. This explains why most systems, particually Motorola are now using site numbers 2, 3, 10, etc even for a single zone system. If it's a single zone system, you don't need to worry about having the site number narrowed down anyways since roaming isn't a concern as long as the system ID is accurate.

kg4pbd

This has been updated in the database. Thanks for figuring that out.

A quick suggestion I've learned the hard way with using a Unication, for the single zone systems I'm unfamiliar with/haven't verified information personally, I recommend leaving the site & RFSS as a wildcard. The typical upgrade path for a system these days is to split the system and change site numbers.

For example a 12 channel system will split 6 channels into a new "site" with new/upgraded equipment and convert users over and then bring the remaining six channels over to the "new" site. Nothing has really changed but the hardware and the site number. This explains why most systems, particually Motorola are now using site numbers 2, 3, 10, etc even for a single zone system. If it's a single zone system, you don't need to worry about having the site number narrowed down anyways since roaming isn't a concern as long as the system ID is accurate.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is the wildcard "FF" for both site & RFSS?

trumpetman

Database Admin
Thanks for the suggestion. Is the wildcard "FF" for both site & RFSS?

Correct. And just to clarify, this only works in single site/zone systems (Asheville, York, Pitt, NHC, etc) where there isn't any adjacent sites to roam to.

Multizone systems like Charlotte UASI, Greensboro/Thomasville, Cary/Wake, etc will cause undesired roaming and traffic will be missed. Like I said, this is for unknown places I travel to. For known and confirmed stuff I put that actual site numbers in. I follow a similar strategy with full spectrum CC, as long as I have an accurate system ID then the pager will always find the system.

kg4pbd

Correct. And just to clarify, this only works in single site/zone systems (Asheville, York, Pitt, NHC, etc) where there isn't any adjacent sites to roam to.

Multizone systems like Charlotte UASI, Greensboro/Thomasville, Cary/Wake, etc will cause undesired roaming and traffic will be missed. Like I said, this is for unknown places I travel to. For known and confirmed stuff I put that actual site numbers in. I follow a similar strategy with full spectrum CC, as long as I have an accurate system ID then the pager will always find the system.
Thank you! I’m doing some traveling and I’ll give this a try.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
I have a question about the New Hanover TRS. I will be traveling there for a week beginning this Monday. I noticed, while programming my scanner, that one of the frequencies is listed twice: once in red as a control channel and then again in black. None of the other frequencies do this. I also have never seen this that I can recall in any other TRS that I have ever programmed over the years. Is that a typo? I suspect it is. If it isn't can someone please explain to me why I would need to program in the same frequency twice in a TRS? I've doing this for a while and am not a "newbie" by any means. The frequency in question is: 860.2375. Listed first in red as a control channel and then right after again in black as a regular channel. Thanks in advance!

Tobydog

Just Program the control channels and open talkgroups and you will be fine. At this time local fire and ems is dispatched on PS2 and some ems calls on emsdispatch. Unless there have been changes in last month you should get all emergency services. FD for county uses station numbers and no names

spencerwww

Just Program the control channels and open talkgroups and you will be fine. At this time local fire and ems is dispatched on PS2 and some ems calls on emsdispatch. Unless there have been changes in last month you should get all emergency services. FD for county uses station numbers and no names
Whats ps2 is that a ems channel they use. I'm going there to and hope and enjoy ur trip I love the cost of north carolina

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply, guys! I hope it's mostly broadcasting in ps1, because I'm still using my trusty, rusty Uniden BC396T! I'm also bringing my Yaesu HT for some repeater rag chewing and I may or may not bring my Icom 7300 and SuperAntenna MP-1, as the condo balcony faces the beach! Meanwhile, Spencerwww, enjoy your trip there, as well! This will be my first time at any of the NC beaches and I am really looking forward to it.

fredva

Feed Provider
I'm assuming PS 2 refers to a specific talkgroup listed under Public Safety in the database. PS would be Public Safety. If I'm correct, it's not the digital radio format P25 Phase 2. It's just the name of a Public Safety talkgroup, along with PS 3, PS 4, PS 5, etc.

Tobydog

For The record, if you read the current New Hanover county(not Viper) radio system list PS 2 is one of the channels in the dispatch list and was still used last week when I was down for hurricane response. So, for those who are going down just use the list of talk group IDs and you will be good. No

Tobydog

Just an update for those going to Wilmington soon. Trunk system is alive and well. County has hired the lovely Lucretia for dispatch voice and all services are using their respective talkgroups at this time. There are still live voice dispatches on some calls. No plan on going Phase 2 for the present, from radio shop today

ID2345

K4SVT yet again
Banned
Is Carolina Beach PD encrypted now? I have my G4 down here and sucks most law is encrypted.

Last edited:

spencerwww

Just an update for those going to Wilmington soon. Trunk system is alive and well. County has hired the lovely Lucretia for dispatch voice and all services are using their respective talkgroups at this time. There are still live voice dispatches on some calls. No plan on going Phase 2 for the present, from radio shop today
Don't they don't they talk.live when the dispatchers tlwk on ops are the second dispatch channel when they check in only the dispatch to them is computer usually whe check in they talk to fire fighters and ems once the computer dispatches

kg4pbd

Is Carolina Beach PD encrypted now? I have my G4 down here and sucks most law is encrypted.
I was just there down there over the weekend. EMS dispatch and PS2 for fire, both active. All law talk groups including Carolina Beach and Kure Beach are encrypted.

ID2345

K4SVT yet again
Banned
I was just there down there over the weekend. EMS dispatch and PS2 for fire, both active. All law talk groups including Carolina Beach and Kure Beach are encrypted.
Thank you I was getting all FD/EMS but dsdplus was showing encryption on most law enforcement.