New Hanover County

Status
Not open for further replies.

central_il

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

As expected, New Hanover Sheriff went full encryption on ALL talk groups this morning (May 1st, 2014). To sum things up, ALL Wilmington Police and New Hanover Sheriff talk groups are now fully encrypted. All other talk groups are in the clear except w/ State Port rentacops who occasionally use encryption (when there not randomly fingering thru talk groups looking for conversation.)

Hope this clears up all questions what is/isnt encrypted.

Central_IL

"You sound like you're mad"

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
It is a sign of things to come.

I figure eventually all scanners will be obsolete.

And the hobby of scanning will be a thing of the past.

David

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Well, there's aviation, mil. air, MURS/FRS, GMRS, amateur radio, fire department/rescue, etc. FWIW I've been monitoring HF aviation as well as broadcast shortwave listening. I am currently in an apartment and my antenna (AOR SA7000) is sitting on a box in the corner of the living room. Yes, scanning has changed and will probably never return to un-encrypted transmissions, but there is still a lot to monitor.
John

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I forgot AIS and GMDSS. I know it takes more work, but sometimes it's the hunt and fine tuning that can be exciting.
John

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
yeah, Lenoir County has new radios ordered and are planing to go P-25 by the fall. i suspect at least some of the talk groups will be scrambled.

and yes, there is always the air band, i love mil air. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.