New Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
i see in the database new hartford is switching to Nexedge, taking after rome. soon the entire county will be unscannable i guess

c0untyb0y

if the database shows true and correct, it's only New Hartford Fire. why is anyone's guess. it's their home alert channel plus two firegrounds. must be they only want to talk to just their selves and no one else. maybe they'll keep the home alert NEXEDGE patched to the EDACS talk group so you and NHPD will be able to hear them.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
i did some reasearch and theres a new hartford in leitchfeild county, conneticut that has moved to nexedge, so im wondering if information got mixed up somewheres in the submission process...not shure maybe an admin will read this and look into it. and i believe they still have their vhf patch too, so if i was that interested in it, id just put their recive frequency in my portable and listen to them

gregman44

Feed Provider
New Hartford has been on their "New" Home Alert channel for a while now. It is Nexedge capable and is run in the analog mode most of the time. They can switch to Nexedge mode when they want to talk securely. It isn't trunked just switches to digital. Been that way for 6 months or longer.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Home Alert channel is used for a few things including rebroadcasting the dispatch when the tones are activated, then when they are dispatched they use the channel for talking unit to unit for cordination, and now they are nexedge capable wich means they can tune the public out whenever they feel like it

c0untyb0y

New Hartford has been on their "New" Home Alert channel for a while now. It is Nexedge capable and is run in the analog mode most of the time. They can switch to Nexedge mode when they want to talk securely. It isn't trunked just switches to digital. Been that way for 6 months or longer.

Probably for the Fire Truck Spectacular!

tbski100

Premium Subscriber
I can assure you there is presently no overt intent to tune the public out, fire truck show or otherwise. ( thank you c0untyb0y )

Kenwood nexedge being used on a limited trial basis at this time.

c0untyb0y

I can assure you there is presently no overt intent to tune the public out, fire truck show or otherwise. ( thank you c0untyb0y )

Kenwood nexedge being used on a limited trial basis at this time.

I like going to the Fire Truck Spectacular. it's a good time and my son loves it! just like all the parades of apparatus during the holidays when they're all decorated up.

would NHFD have tried NEXEDGE if Central Dispatch stayed on the air?

tbski100

Premium Subscriber
would NHFD have tried NEXEDGE if Central Dispatch stayed on the air?

I would speculate so. Central would've adjusted accordingly to whatever the agencies they served operated on; much like the PD with EDACS. Its as simple as adding a Nexedge receiver into the console.

Nexedge seems like a decent platform. But for full usage in the volunteer fire service there are some issues to overcome. Interop is one of course, but the radios do a mixed mode which can basically run both. A dept could have 12.5 analog channels as well as 6.25 NXDN digital channels for themselves. Talking to neighbors running analog could simply be on the 12.5 channels that are availible for such. Nobody is running P25 in this county in the fire service so competing digital standards are not an issue. Big concern at this time would be paging on the home alert channel(s). Volunteers- at least in this county, still rely on analog voice pagers for primary alerting. There is no digtial voice pagers; with no plans in sight for any. Even with P25 being the "standard" its such a limited market. Voice paging is a limited product for most manufacturers and it effects our options. This is much like the situation with trunked networks and how to tone out calls on them; you have to still simulcast on an analog conventional channel. Much the same is a problem as we move towards digital. Carrying an actual radio around all day as opposed to a pager has been met with resistance and is not a practical option at this time.

Obviously there are different standards for digital: P25, Mototrbo, Nexedge etc. Everyone has there own opinion and choice. For the features, value to scale, and local dealer services offered, we are currently using Nexedge. Its fully acknowledged that the feds have been pushin P25. Its also no great secret that in return the manufacturers have priced P25 out of sight of most small public safety agencies and markets. If P25 becomes county standard someday, Nexedge equipement can be one time permantly flashed to do P25.

There has been talk on here about nexedge enabling people to go into steath mode and all this kind of stuff. This was the case when our first EDACS smr went in locally. That may be the case for some, but as far as this thread topic is concerned - analog will be primary for quite some time in the future. Digital will remain to be tested and used on a limited basis only in anticipation of the FCC mandating 6.25 frequency structure down the road. The investment has been made previously in 12.5 compliant analog portables and pagers currently in service. Nexedge portables are in limited issuance at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.