New Haven Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX7500X2

Anyone listening to the radio test this morning?
Sounds like they have mobile repeaters in the trucks now, Very low and poor audio.
I have worked with mobile repeaters before (Many years ago) and it is a skill to get them set up correctly and operating good enough to be used in life and death operations, I hope they are using simplex on the fire-ground with the repeaters set up to take that audio and put it over the repeated channel like Greenwich and Stamford do...That's the proper way

Mr_Boh

I mean there's tons of "proper ways" to do it. The problem typically more is the level of technology involved with the mobile repeater, but yes there is skill involved with the setup. A $30k + DVRS setup on a P25 trunked system sounds REALLY good in comparison with something like a RICK or cheapo "interoperability devices" that are just pumping audio between two devices and proving the mantra "garbage in, garbage out".

Would be nice to know what they are using.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Most audio problems I hear are user error. Users have a mic clipped to their shoulder or shirt, face toward it, face away from it etc. Those in cars will leave the mic in the clip, others will talk into it, others across it. No training or ignored training. If all the same model radios are deployed and programmed from the same template/code plug, in theory, the audio settings should be the same between like models. If so, why do they sound so different? The user!

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
Sitting in New Haven right now, they aren’t digital. Listening to them it seems like the mobile repeaters are active a long squelch tone behind each transmission. Does anyone else hear that ?

N1GTL

Database Admin
Portable radios send PRE-MDC tone. Vehicles (with and without repeaters) send POST-MDC. If a portable is talking through a vehicle repeater, the first MDC burst dispatch will see is the portable ID. When the portable de-keys, the mobile radio will send it's POST-MDC. Not sure if that is what you are detecting.

APX7500X2

Portable radios send PRE-MDC tone. Vehicles (with and without repeaters) send POST-MDC. If a portable is talking through a vehicle repeater, the first MDC burst dispatch will see is the portable ID. When the portable de-keys, the mobile radio will send it's POST-MDC. Not sure if that is what you are detecting.
Sometimes......Many departments ( I Know Bridgeport does) Sends pre and post MDC so they get the end chirp on the radios like FDNY, its very popular now and works great for reducing people walking over each other, I was in derby a month ago and their radios were also doing it.
But I do think Trumbull does it the old way, portable first mobile last.
Take Stamford also, They use the pre and post on the analog fire-ground and the DVRS changes the hex MDC to a digital ID to go over the trunk system so dispatch can decode MDC over the P25 trunk system and understand Emergency coming from an analog subscriber.
I can't take credit for the above info, I know an expert on the futurcom DVRS systems :)

Status
Not open for further replies.