New haven ham repeater.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9WG

Don't know about your specific area but it seems that except for some "popular" repeaters most are under-utilized. Might check with some of the local clubs to see if there is some interest.

73 - K9WG

N1GTL

Database Admin
Monitor the existing ones and see how much activity there is.

hint: not much

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Well in my area,I will sometimes scan the UHF ham bands and I never hear anything.

N1TGE

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I would use it too. Thanks for proposing the idea.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
There are already a lot of VHF and UHF repeaters that have good coverage throughout Metro New Haven. Also you have to make sure you go through the CT Spectrum committee for proper co-ordination.

There are UHF repeaters in Woodbridge, Ansonia, Milford, and Branford that have good coverage throughout New Haven. Some of the upper Fairfield and Middlesex County UHF repeaters also provide coverage to the area as well. Same for all the VHF repeaters throughout the area. There are a lot of repeaters that are under used already and adding another may cause interference with the others or another repeater on the same frequency set elsewhere.

I have a lot of repeater frequencies in my rig and only a few are actually used quite often. The others are dormant or used on a secondary basis.

N1TGE

Banned
There are a good amount of repeaters in the area as Joe said. CSMA is a good resource but they dont list uncoordinated repeaters (CT Spectrum Management Association). Legally as long as you have a technician or higher license you don't HAVE to do anything except make sure the frequencies used are in band segments authorized for repeater use.

The smart thing to do is get the frequencies coordinated and listen for a bit to make sure you dont interfere with an uncoordinated repeater. I'm sure the guys over at CSMA are aware of the uncoordinated ones as well.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I for one would use it,
Bridgeport lost theirs during one of the big storms last fall (i forget if it was the hurricane in august or snowtober)

Joe, I think you're talking about the 441.700 N1KGM repeater that used to be on top of EELs Hill in Milford. Irene did some nasty damage. That repeater had some excellent coverage in New Haven and Fairfield counties. Here is a link to the pictures:
Damage from Irene

There is talk of it going back up but this time on top of Bridgeport hospital.

Manny

Last edited:

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Joe, I think you're talking about the 441.700 N1KGM repeater that used to be on top of EELs Hill in Milford. Irene did some nasty damage. That repeater had some excellent coverage in New Haven and Fairfield counties. Here is a link to the pictures:
Damage from Irene

There is talk of it going back up but this time on top of Bridgeport hospital.

Manny

I think that is the one he is thinking of too. Unfortunately that one I believe is back up in B-port now since most of the club members are down that way. That repeater had some good coverage while in Milford but I do not believe the repeater is back up online yet. I may be wrong. I believe the 443.550 on Eels Hill is still online since that one was not on the tower if I am not mistaking. The 442.500 repeater in Woodbridge has excellent coverage throughout New Haven and since its location is near West Rock, you can talk on it while in the tunnel too.

All together there are 9 open UHF repeaters listed in NH county already that are operating. If you got to any of the repeater directories online, they have a list of what is on or off line.

Last edited:

N1TGE

Banned
If you have the time, money, and willpower then do it! I will be more than happy to help out.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I think that is the one he is thinking of too. Unfortunately that one I believe is back up in B-port now since most of the club members are down that way. That repeater had some good coverage while in Milford but I do not believe the repeater is back up online yet. I may be wrong. I believe the 443.550 on Eels Hill is still online since that one was not on the tower if I am not mistaking. The 442.500 repeater in Woodbridge has excellent coverage throughout New Haven and since its location is near West Rock, you can talk on it while in the tunnel too.

All together there are 9 open UHF repeaters listed in NH county already that are operating. If you got to any of the repeater directories online, they have a list of what is on or off line.

I have not talked to Kevin-N1KGM in a while. I'll shoot him an email and ask about the status of the repeater. He took a BIG hit with Irene! I hate looking at those pictures! I got my Ham ticket back in 1994 with the club that hangs out at the eel's hill location. That was when that repeater was used by them back then. That was the first repeater I hit with my Icom IC-W2A when I first got my license. That site has some good memories.....

Manny

Last edited:

darrowloucks

Without even thinking too hard, I can think of UHF repeaters in Guilford, Branford and Hamden that get very little use. In the 1990s the 449.475 repeater in Guilford was very active but not anymore.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Without even thinking too hard, I can think of UHF repeaters in Guilford, Branford and Hamden that get very little use. In the 1990s the 449.475 repeater in Guilford was very active but not anymore.

The Hamden repeater is off right now temporarily. There were some "problems" with some people using it illegally aka unlicensed users fooling around. It should be back up soon if its not already.

NECW4

Well I have a repeater and duplexer that I would be more then happy turning in to a ham repeater. Anyone know of a place I could put it that will have good covrage for us? Thanks

msingewald

Premium Subscriber
Well I have a repeater and duplexer that I would be more then happy turning in to a ham repeater. Anyone know of a place I could put it that will have good covrage for us? Thanks

That is the million dollar question. The equipment is easy, finding a location is tough.

Not to hijack your thread, but the 441.700 is all installed and waiting for some programming to fire it up. It was off so long, the controller programming seems to have evaporated. Hopefully, within the next week. It is now on the Bridgeport Hospital. It will be interesting to see what the new pattern is like.

cralt

Program in the already listed repeaters and check out how much use they get.. Here's a good DB.. New England Repeater Directory
Other then a handfull of regulars using few of them during rush hour they are pretty much a ghost town. I think there are more repeaters now then repeater users.

I for one would use it,
Bridgeports lost theirs during one of the big storms last fall (i forget if it was the hurricane in august or snowtober)

You have the big 147.18 w1hdn machine in prosepct which is on a state wide network. You also have the WARC machine at your firehouse. How often do you use them or hear traffic on them?

joehawth

KB1RRG
You have the big 147.18 w1hdn machine in prosepct which is on a state wide network. You also have the WARC machine at your firehouse. How often do you use them or hear traffic on them?

i'm on the 147.180 on occasion, i monitor it a lot, it gets a fair amount of activity, as far as the club's repeater on the firehouse goes i havent signed on in a very long time, and im not sure how much activity it gets

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
i'm on the 147.180 on occasion, i monitor it a lot, it gets a fair amount of activity, as far as the club's repeater on the firehouse goes i havent signed on in a very long time, and im not sure how much activity it gets

What freq is that repeater on that firehouse? And what is the PL?

Status
Not open for further replies.