New Haven PD Repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

PD47JD

Premium Subscriber
As of late it appears that the Sector repeater(s) for 460.500 are putting out a very weak signal, at times barely readable from Amity Road at the Woodbridge Town Line. In Woodbridge itself, closer to 67 & 63, even with a house roof mount antenna, the signal comes in very scratchy w/audio distortion.
Whereas, the sector repeater(s) for 460.450 are coming in 5/5, even on #67 at the Seymour Town line on a hand held unit. Historically that's a weaker signal.
Anyone hear of any repeater problems/issues with NHPD?

900mhz

As of late it appears that the Sector repeater(s) for 460.500 are putting out a very weak signal, at times barely readable from Amity Road at the Woodbridge Town Line. In Woodbridge itself, closer to 67 & 63, even with a house roof mount antenna, the signal comes in very scratchy w/audio distortion.
Whereas, the sector repeater(s) for 460.450 are coming in 5/5, even on #67 at the Seymour Town line on a hand held unit. Historically that's a weaker signal.
Anyone hear of any repeater problems/issues with NHPD?
I am observing the same changes that you have notated. Historically for me, 460.500 always had a better signal level than 460.450. Levels look flip-flopped when I compare them to my notes from a year or so ago.

CentracomGold

Premium Subscriber
460.450 (F2) was always atop East Rock Park & 460.100 (F1) & 460.500 (F3) were mostly line of sight microwave from the 23rd fl window atop the K of C building aimed directly at the roof at 1 Union Ave. The F1 signal has degraded over the last 2 years & now I am hearing that F3 is also the weakest of the 3 channels. Utilility Com was working on F3 today

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
When they patch 2 & 3 together they get all types of noise over the system also. I was going to put them up on Broadcastify but with all the noise and mis -matched receivers with different audio I think I would get to many complaints.
I would love for them to go digital but with that they would probably go encrypted :(

leadjammer

NHPD reception as been really poor the last couple of months here in Hamden. Scratchy, noisy and fading in an out. They were working on the system today but it seems worse tonight. 460.5 was always the strongest but its all been pretty bad lately.

CentracomGold

Premium Subscriber
Nobody in their PSAP has any technical radio knowledge, even those who manage their PSAP do not know what a PL code is or what is a repeater/microwave/duplex, simplex etc. Many features on their consoles that are unused because the operators are not trained properly & the operators have no idea about RF, uhf, vhf, 800, conventional, trunk, analog, digital etc... One dispatcher constantly announces the incorrrect radio license ID "KRF-574" & even "KRF-584" a few times after broadcasting a police broadcast.

900mhz

The call sign for the PD is KRF539...been that since I was a teenager and i am now close to 60 years old.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
The call sign for the PD is KRF539...been that since I was a teenager and i am now close to 60 years old.
Yes same here. Mom got me a multi-band tuneable ( that's all there was back then ) radio growing up in Hamden. The first thing I heard was New Haven PD. Was it 38.1 Mhz or 37.1 Mhz? But I definitely remember "KRF-539 New Haven". I still have an audio cassette with some recordings somewhere lol. I'll have to find a cassette player though lol. I have a few years on you @900mhz. That was in 1967 during some rioting in the city. Long story short and way off topic, that radio ended up going on the blink as they said back then. I was determined to get it working again so I took it apart and that started my interest in the Electronic field. :coffee: :sleep: :)

900mhz

Yes same here. Mom got me a multi-band tuneable ( that's all there was back then ) radio growing up in Hamden. The first thing I heard was New Haven PD. Was it 38.1 Mhz or 37.1 Mhz? But I definitely remember "KRF-539 New Haven". I still have an audio cassette with some recordings somewhere lol. I'll have to find a cassette player though lol. I have a few years on you @900mhz. That was in 1967 during some rioting in the city. Long story short and way off topic, that radio ended up going on the blink as they said back then. I was determined to get it working again so I took it apart and that started my interest in the Electronic field. :coffee: :sleep: :)
I have an old Pathfinder in my second driveway that believe it or not still has a factory cassette player in it. Those riots were the reason my parents decided to ditch Morris Cove and build a new house in North Branford. My sister and I were just at the age to start school and my folks did not want us going to New Haven schools.

CentracomGold

Premium Subscriber
Yes & prior to morris code coding the radio ID, we were required to announce that with the time on the hour, each hour

pro961

Then you got a big tennelec handheld. 4 or 6 channel crystal. That thing was huge. Don't forget "Issicowa" (Spelling. The dispatcher. He was good!!

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Then you got a big tennelec handheld. 4 or 6 channel crystal. That thing was huge. Don't forget "Issicowa" (Spelling. The dispatcher. He was good!!
Lol you seriously have an exceptional memory! Yeah boy that Tenelec...4 channel scanner!! The ultimate at the time! I think I saved it in a box somewhere. Just couldn't throw it out lol. And how the heck do you still remember that dispatchers name. What a voice on that man. He was in the wrong business lol. What was that like 50 years ago :p

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Kazutami Ishikawa NHPD. My mentor. There was also a Housing Authority dispatcher who always imitated Ish
I remember that housing dispatcher lol. He had suck a low low voice. Always sounded so serious. I think they were on 453.800 or something like that. Good stuff.
Ish passed a few years ago. Served in the military too.

Status
Not open for further replies.