new headphone issue after recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEvil

Thanks for Upman and uniden for doing their best to address the issues of the 536 for us early adopters in the best way possible.

I receive my replacement 536 back this week but am still having some issues with the headphone jack. Aside from incredible noise (I got past that using a ground loop isolator) I've now noticed that there is a "pop" at the end of all transmissions received.

This doesn't happen when using the rear audio out, only the headphone jack. You can hear the noise I'm speaking of by monitoring my feed, you'll hear a small but sharp "pop" at the end of all transmissions (also at
the start of many).

LAPD - Citywide Dispatch and Hot Shots/Code 3

Any help? advice?
most recent firmware installed.

I'm just about ready to throw my hands up :-(

Thanks much

SCPD

QRT
I used stereo headphones and mine didnt make any hiss/ noise,are you using Mono?or an adapter?

BigEvil

No adapters other than the suggested radio shack ground loop isolator (which has stereo connections)

BigEvil

There's a plethora of posts as to why this isn't a good idea, most having to do with the rear output being designed to drive speakers only and not for connecting to a soundcard etc. Also, the sound I get that way is more muffled, bassy, and also comes in only on one side (which is fine for broadcasting since my feed is mono, but not optimal since it's clearly not working correctly...)

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
There's a plethora of posts as to why this isn't a good idea, most having to do with the rear output being designed to drive speakers only and not for connecting to a soundcard etc. Also, the sound I get that way is more muffled, bassy, and also comes in only on one side (which is fine for broadcasting since my feed is mono, but not optimal since it's clearly not working correctly...)

OK, that makes sense.

Well, if it were me I'd send it back then. No sense in keeping a unit that's still broken. Make 'em give you a new one. Again. And again if you have to. After all, we're talking about a radio that cost you $600, and that's not chump change for any budget. They should (and I'm confident they will) make it right for you. Especially since you run one of the most popular feeds on this site. If they don't make this right for you, they're blowing a prime chance for free advertising of their product.

-AZ

BigEvil

OK, that makes sense.

Well, if it were me I'd send it back then. No sense in keeping a unit that's still broken. Make 'em give you a new one. Again. And again if you have to. After all, we're talking about a radio that cost you $600, and that's not chump change for any budget. They should (and I'm confident they will) make it right for you. Especially since you run one of the most popular feeds on this site. If they don't make this right for you, they're blowing a prime chance for free advertising of their product.

-AZ

I can't disagree with the sentiment there, it's been a frustrating process to be a early adopter on the 536 but I stand by Uniden and more specifically UPman for how they conduct themselves with respect to their customers and this forum.

That said, I would really like to put this to bed so I can just keep my feed running without issue and support their new line of products without hesitation.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else have any ideas?!

Some possibilities to explore:

1. Do other 536 or 436 radios do this too?
Perhaps only your particular radio has this problem.

2. Why do you need to use a ground loop isolator?
I too have had to use ground loop isolators but I eventually found the problem and fixed it (this is not always possible apparently however) and I now have two different ground loop isolators that are not being used. However, as mentioned with the design of the new audio amps it may not be possible to do this.

3. Have you tried a different brand ground loop isolator?
The two different ones I have are fairly different in the quality of audio they produce and one is Radio Shack's.

4. Have you tried the "attenuation cable" from Radio Shack but from your Speaker out on your 536?
You will have to adjust the volume to properly match the degree of attenuation in the Radio Shack cable but it may help or solve the problem.

5. I have used an in-line volume control for headphones to adjust the level of outputs from some of my scanner to better match the input requirements of a number of different digital recorders and it really helped to improve the audio recordings.

BigEvil

These are indeed great troubleshooting questions.
I'll dive into this monday when i'm back at my computer. The reason for the Ground Loop Isolator is that the scanner produces a incredible amount of noise/hum without it unfortunately.

mrkelso

So then Uniden didn't correct the problem? I still haven't sent mine in.

Status
Not open for further replies.