New Here, A Couple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

marineswarm

Premium Subscriber
I have looked at, and followed this forum, Enjoy reading the information.

My questions probably have been answered by other posts so maybe a link to them

1. I talked to a local Sheriff Yesterday and was talking to him about how i want a scanner but he advised that they are digital and even if got a digital scanner its encrypted and still probably wouldn't be able to hear whats going on. Is this accurate? If not point me to the scanner i need.

2. In reference to above. I live in a rural county Of Ohio, Noble County, and there's no live feeds and would like to participate in the live feed if possible due to above. I have read all over the WIKI and still dont really understand. I know about a sound card and all that but what connector to the sound card, What type of sound card. Exact model names so i can look up on newegg. And the best type of scanner, To do above if possible, to be able to do a live feed.

I am sorry if lot of reading. I Hope the digital isn't going to stop from listening in. I told the deputy that i found the codes, but he said they are old, i am not ignorant about technology just unsure about the new stuff. Thank you for your service.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
It looks like your sheriff system might be digital,but its not encrypted.You could get the GRE PSR-600 scanner or the Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT scanner.

As for making a online scanner setup,someone else would have to answer that,as I don't know how to do that.

eagleswings01

Thumbs up for the GRE scanners! My PSR-310 won't pick up digital stuff, but I have been very impressed in comparing my GRE to a friend's Radio Shack scanner.

Good luck!

I have looked at, and followed this forum, Enjoy reading the information.

My questions probably have been answered by other posts so maybe a link to them

1. I talked to a local Sheriff Yesterday and was talking to him about how i want a scanner but he advised that they are digital and even if got a digital scanner its encrypted and still probably wouldn't be able to hear whats going on. Is this accurate? If not point me to the scanner i need.

2. In reference to above. I live in a rural county Of Ohio, Noble County, and there's no live feeds and would like to participate in the live feed if possible due to above. I have read all over the WIKI and still dont really understand. I know about a sound card and all that but what connector to the sound card, What type of sound card. Exact model names so i can look up on newegg. And the best type of scanner, To do above if possible, to be able to do a live feed.

I am sorry if lot of reading. I Hope the digital isn't going to stop from listening in. I told the deputy that i found the codes, but he said they are old, i am not ignorant about technology just unsure about the new stuff. Thank you for your service.

It looks like your Sheriff still uses conventional frequencies but they do have a talkgroup on the Ohio Marcs digital side.

marineswarm

Premium Subscriber
Thank you guys so much for Answering, In between Time getting this post approved i did even more poking around the forum and wiki trying my best to comprehend what i am reading. I am sorry for the ridiculous questions that you probably have to answer. But once i get some time under my belt, I will pass on the same gratitude you all have sowed me.

Semper Fi,

DickH

Thank you guys so much for Answering, In between Time getting this post approved i did even more poking around the forum and wiki trying my best to comprehend what i am reading. I am sorry for the ridiculous questions that you probably have to answer. But once i get some time under my belt, I will pass on the same gratitude you all have sowed me.

Semper Fi,

Just a word of advise. It sounds as if you know the Sheriff. When you get your scanner, don't tell him you can hear them. Then he might really encrypt it and that will screw it up for everyone.
It sounds as if he thinks it is encrypted now. Ignorance is bliss. :).

marineswarm

Premium Subscriber
Just a word of advise. It sounds as if you know the Sheriff. When you get your scanner, don't tell him you can hear them. Then he might really encrypt it and that will screw it up for everyone.
It sounds as if he thinks it is encrypted now. Ignorance is bliss. :).

Oh yes sir.....

russellmaher

KC1ANC

Semper Fi,

You don't have to worry about your questions sounding ridiculous since the members here will always give you any help they can. Just remember this....we all started out in this hobby with very little or no knowledge, so we can relate to how you're feeling. Being a "newbie" is not a disease, just a temporary state of mind.

Welcome aboard Marine, and Thank You for your service!

Russell

scannerboy01

Welcome to the Radio Reference forums, marineswarm:)
I would recommend either the GRECOM PSR-500 or PSR-600. The PSR-600 is more of a base or mobile scanner and the PSR-500 is a portable, but it can be used for all purposes. The reason I suggest getting the advance type of scanner is because, even though the radios that the Sheriff's department uses are conventional, they could be digital, so it would be good to be prepared. In my case, I bought the PSR-500 even though the frequencies I monitor are conventional, I know that there will be a digital system coming in my province in a few years.

marineswarm

Premium Subscriber
You don't have to worry about your questions sounding ridiculous since the members here will always give you any help they can. Just remember this....we all started out in this hobby with very little or no knowledge, so we can relate to how you're feeling. Being a "newbie" is not a disease, just a temporary state of mind.

Welcome aboard Marine, and Thank You for your service!

Russell

Thank you so much for making me feel welcome, goes to everyone else with kind words. Thank you all for your service as well. Military or civilian. Feel free you guys to add me to Skype or yahoo messenger. I enjoy talking to to people and pick there minds, so to speak about knowledge or opinions. I have not learned as much form schooling than i have from other people. Add to face book also that would be cool, my Name is Beau Davis, From Ohio, Coolville is what is says on FB.

marineswarm

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the Radio Reference forums, marineswarm:)
I would recommend either the GRECOM PSR-500 or PSR-600. The PSR-600 is more of a base or mobile scanner and the PSR-500 is a portable, but it can be used for all purposes. The reason I suggest getting the advance type of scanner is because, even though the radios that the Sheriff's department uses are conventional, they could be digital, so it would be good to be prepared. In my case, I bought the PSR-500 even though the frequencies I monitor are conventional, I know that there will be a digital system coming in my province in a few years.

Thank you sir, I am lookign to to them scanners you mentioned, My goal is do do the live feed thing, since i have a smart phone i can stream anywhere, so there for wouldnt need a portable one. So my delima is what scanner and how to hook that scanner to my computer to stream. Really just want the easiest way. Cost anit an issue. I have been looking on ebay and listing on here for a complete setup, but buying used, i allways leary.

Status
Not open for further replies.