New here! Had a couple questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swasp049

So to start off my name is Swasp and I'm new to this forum and I wanted to ask a couple of questions related to radios and things similar.

So I understand that using certain low frequency radios requires a licence and I wanted to know how do you obtain one?

Second question: If I wanted to transmit a message on frequencies between 30-100 KHz, what equipment would I need to do that?

Third question, can anybody figure out how far a low frequency travels or can be received?

If anyone can answer at least one of these questions I would be thankful. And I'd like to apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this, if I should post these questions somewhere else then please notify me amd I will move this thread onto a different forum.

~Swasp

Swasp049

Found out I need a low frequency amateur radio and need to take a class to obtain the licence I want. Bummer

bob550

Premium Subscriber
According to the FCC Frequency Table of April 2017, VLF frequencies are mainly assigned to navigational beacons and Maritime Mobile uses. (I understand the Navy uses VLF for submarine communications.) While I'm not a Ham, I'm not aware of any Amateur Radio bands at these frequencies. What is your purpose to transmitting messages on VLF frequencies?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Low frequency is 30 kHz to 300 kHz. There is a ham band there at 135.7 kHz.. But what you can do is very restricted. Out of interest, why do you want to transmit down there.. It's very hard to build an efficient antenna system.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Your spelling of licence/license indicates you probably live across the pond. Now and in the future, you might mention your location or post it somewhere in your information because I believe most of your responses are going to come from left side of the water.

Swasp049

Your spelling of licence/license indicates you probably live across the pond. Now and in the future, you might mention your location or post it somewhere in your information because I believe most of your responses are going to come from left side of the water.
I appreciate your help!

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
Swasp049 - I Recommend you Contact your Local Amatuer Radio Group to see about Lisensing and Options in your Area, Least in America we have HAM clubs that have Exam Materiels and Practice Tests, this may be the same for your Area as well.
After you get your License then you can Think about getting a LW/HF Radio.

W5lz

Swasp,
If you want an amateur license you will have to take and pass an examination. I'm not familiar with Canadian requirements so can't tell you about them. You don't have to take any classes, but it does make it easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.