New here, NC, PRO-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikemancs

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I'm new to this whole scanning thing but I'm willing to learn. I'm having a slight problem reading through all the forums since I recently had PRK laser eye surgery and they are still adjusting to reading on a screen.

That being said, here's what I'm working with, and what I know:
* I have a PRS-197 scanner from Radio shack that I got in trade from a friend up in Minnesota.
* I am currently in North Carolina.
* I am a Premium Subscriber,
* I have the USB Cable,
* I have installed the WIN500 freeware/software, but this is where I'm stuck.
* I already have a list of frequencies I am looking to scan. initially in the 42 range and then in the 154-156 range.
* I can't pick up one of my local PDs due to them being on the VIPER (sp?) system. However, I should be able to scan County, fire and EMS.

I know I'm probably glossing over something or missing something pretty basic, if someone would be willing to help me, please let me know!

Thanks

bikemancs

bikemancs

Premium Subscriber
I just tried downloading Ft. Bragg/Pope since I honestly don't know what'll work with the VIPER system.

However, my problem does not seem to be there with a bit more messing around. Seems that The scanner is not communicating with the computer, and vice versa. When I hit the "upload to scanner" I get an error saying it can't communicate with the USB device. So, I'm guessing my issue is laying there.

Unable to open " USB <-> Radio Scanner Cable' Device

bikemancs

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to Swells, now at least the radio is communicating with the Computer! Messing around with the programs for the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.