New Here

Dewey509A

Hello all! I am new to this forum. Stopping by to say hello from Spokane.

I currently use a TRX1 alongside my Uniden BCD536hp. I ordered a new BCD436hp yesterday from Scanner Master and had them program it for me. I am getting lost in all the jargon however but trying to learn.
I miss the days when you could just program in a frequency and listen. The reason I bought the 436 is that my TRX is not picking up a lot of the police frequencies at all??? It does pick up a lot though and I still like it. When side by side with the Uniden, the uniden wins with me hands down. There is a trunked system near me and I have all the frequencies which are not in the rr database yet. I have no knowledge if they can be entered into any of my scanners manually but if they can and anyone can share a step by step (layman's terms) process for doing so would be greatly appreciated. Or at least point a newbie like me in the right direction. Anyway, enough for now and happy scanning everyone!

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Have they shipped the 436 yet?
I'd cancel and get an SDS100 if I were you. Lot's of simulcast in WA/Spokane....
And, if you have a 536 already, why not just use Sentinel/ProScan to bring the programming over to the new radio?

Apologies... I don't ever see why anyone would pay someone to program any radio. The RR database access is included in the price of the radio and any data a dealer would use is readily available to you already....

What trunking system that you have all the frequencies for are you referring to that isn't in the database?

Oh... I do hate to be the bearer of bad news.
Lots of DE for law enforcement there.
NO RADIO will enable you to listen to those (many) TGs that are encrypted.

Last edited:

Dewey509A

I do believe its been shipped already. My 536 is picking up the Spokane pd great. The TRX1 is only picking up pd south and county sherriff.

I believe the trunked system is phase 1 p25 wpgq514 is the call sign. The newest frequencies are not in the database but the reason I know them is that I worked there for 32 years. However, I can understand why the frequencies are so secretive because in the end its public safety. I used to listen to them all the time before they changed their system. The reason I used their program service was in hopes they could include those frequencies in their programming. I was told they cannot because its not in the database. I submitted the frequencies so I will have to wait and see. Not sure even using the software for any of my units are capable to put them in or not. If they are, I haven't figured them out yet.
I am also looking at getting the SDS200. Possibly in a couple months. Im in the City of Spokane Valley. The pd here comes in as Spokane County Sherrif since the city incorporated. I'm also 12 miles from the Idaho border so Im picking up all kinds of stuff from over there too so plenty to listen to.

Last edited:

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I believe the trunked system is phase 1 p25 wpgq514 is the call sign. The newest frequencies are not in the database but the reason I know them is that I worked there for 32 years. However, I can understand why the frequencies are so secretive because in the end its public safety.

WPGQ514 is Airway Heights Correction Center Gate Tower
Airway Heights Corrections Center Site: Gate Tower

System is:
Airway Heights Corrections Center
Airway Heights Corrections Center Trunking System, Various, Washington

FCC Callsign WPGQ514 (WASHINGTON, STATE OF: DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS)

Are the freq in question shown on that last link?

Last edited:

Dewey509A

Yes on the FCC site then scrolled down and the frequencies are all there. Almost exactly like in my older Radio Shack scanner I used to listen to them on until they changed. WPGQ514 is used specifically to Airway Base/ Master Control.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Yes on the FCC site then scrolled down and the frequencies are all there. Almost exactly like in my older Radio Shack scanner I used to listen to them on until they changed. WPGQ514 is used specifically to Airway Base/ Master Control.

Remember, when monitoring trunking with (Uniden anyway) radios, you only need the control channels.
852.7625c854.7125c856.5125c
ALL the rest of those frequencies are assigned when a channel grant is transmitted on the control frequency.
Nothing secret about them.....

You posted about "they changed"....
What changed?

Dewey509A

Oh, they changed when they went from analog to digital is what I meant.

So these control channels can be entered into the scanner 536 and/or TRX1? Thats promising to know just that I am not sure how to do that part. I appreciate the info about that part. Learn something new each day! :)

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Oh, they changed when they went from analog to digital is what I meant.

So these control channels can be entered into the scanner 536 and/or TRX1? Thats promising to know just that I am not sure how to do that part. I appreciate the info about that part. Learn something new each day! :)

Just append them to a favorites list in Sentinel (or make a new one).
Open Sentinel
USA/WA/Spokane
Under county systems see Airway Heights Corrections Center?
Just right click on it.
Click on append to favorites list
Add to existing - or click new favorites list at the bottom

It'll get added and everything you need will automatically be added as well (GPS/range/sites/control channels)
The only thing you'd maybe need to do is edit the favorite list to add a quick key

Dewey509A

Excellent thank you! I had to add a favorites list item which I did. I think I have the main control channels in there. I used the list to add and then found the favorites list item on it and clicked to monitor it. Now I'm scanning it. Haven't heard anything on it yet. So, the first time it's used, does it add all the non-control channels? Also, I dont understand the quick key thing yet. You can tell I'm learning. Thanks so much for the help you gave so far. Thats a long way from where I am at.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
So, the first time it's used, does it add all the non-control channels?

Again, all you need are control channels.
I'd strongly recommend you learn more about trunking. It'll really help you to understand what you are trying to do.

Basically, all of the user radios 'listen' to the control channel. When there is a transmission (someone keys a radio), the control channel does a "channel grant". This tells the radio(s) which voice channel to tune to and the transmission happens.

A trunking scanner also 'listens' to these control channels and when a channel grant happens, it 'tunes' to the voice channel, just like a user's radio does. The channel grant has all the freq. information that is needed - THERE IS NO NEED TO HAVE THE VOICE CHANNELS programmed.

Homework:
Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki
Trunked Radio Systems - The RadioReference Wiki.

Dewey509A

Thank you K5MPH!

Nessnet, Thank you for all your help! Although I got those control channels into the scanner, I haven't heard anything on them yet. I'm thinking about driving up there today and listening for a bit. It might be an antenna issue there. I also need to figure out how to get them into the TRX1 so Im going to mess with that for a while today. Strange how different the Uniden and Whistler scanners are. I will always miss the direct entry programmable scanners!

Now to my homework :)