New High In U.S. Prison Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nec208

More than one in 100 adults in the United States is in jail or prison, an all-time high that is costing state governments nearly $50 billion a year and the federal government $5 billion more, according to a report released yesterday.

With more than 2.3 million people behind bars, the United States leads the world in both the number and percentage of residents it incarcerates, leaving far-more-populous China a distant second, according to a study by the nonpartisan Pew Center on the States.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/28/AR2008022801704.html?hpid=topnews

Croaker90

Staticstics show America has more prisoners that all the other countries COMBINED....

That is sad.... Bring back Electric Chair, and toss out these stupid "rights"

Pyr8

Croaker90 said:
Staticstics show America has more prisoners that all the other countries COMBINED....

That is sad.... Bring back Electric Chair, and toss out these stupid "rights"
lol.....you wouldn't be saying that if you were sitting on death row for a crime you dint commit and had no rights...lol

I have an idea for the US government....it just might work.....take all the money you spend on Iraq and Afganistan......and put it towards social programs and health care in the US. You might be amazed at what you see.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
In the words of Jimmy Walker in his guest shot on All In The Family, "I think we have a lee-burr-aal."

Thanks to uncontrolled immigration and the abolition of the death penalty the US has become a haven for the world's criminal gangs. You with more toys, what the heck do you think they come here for???

bpckty1

OK, so there are more prisoners in ghe Good Old USA.

Now, what is the crime rate in the states with the most number of criminals in prison? Has it gone up, or down, since there are more people living in "protective custody".

This may be anecdotal, but when Texas had the early release/parole system because of prison overcrowding (thanks, Willie Wayne, the Justice, who didn't want anything related to prison/parole/probation near his Tyler neighborhood, but OK in yours) the crime rates in major cities went up. When more prison space was built for the miscreants, the crime rate, especially burglaries, thefts, and homicides, went down.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Some of our prisoners should be sent to Iraq, so that some of our law respecting citizens can come back home to their families!

Pyr8

kb2vxa said:
In the words of Jimmy Walker in his guest shot on All In The Family, "I think we have a lee-burr-aal."

Thanks to uncontrolled immigration and the abolition of the death penalty the US has become a haven for the world's criminal gangs. You with more toys, what the heck do you think they come here for???

Kill em all and let God sort em out...eh! ;)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Think back to when alcohol was illegal (OK before most of us were here), and consider how many would be in prison right now for possession of alcohol. I'd like to know the statistics for percentage of people in prison for ONLY possession drug "crimes". De-criminalize "controlled substances", make all the drugs worth NOTHING overnight, put the DEA/etc to work on other crimes like auto theft, and put $$$ currently going to the "war on drugs" into EDUCATION.

N

nec208

Most of those people in jail are in for petty crimes like theft, fraud,stealing,DUi,car theft and drugs.

Its just they lock them up do to strict laws.

RC54730

Croaker90 said:
Hey! America's number one at something again! Woo hoo!

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
If our prisons actually punished criminals, instead of being training schools (with internet, TV's and weight benches) for the bad guys, then criminals would think twice before committing a crime. As it stands now, there is little deterrent because the bad guys know that they will do less than a third of their time and get a good education in how to better commit the crime next time. For the true die hards, going to prison is a right of passage and worn like a badge of honor when among their peers.
Do aways with the phones, internet, weight benches, exercise yards, TV's, and all contact with fellow prisoners, then THAT would be a deterrent. Let them out once a day for an hour, for organized calisthenics, and the rest of the time they spend in their cells...they can even eat in their cells.

But we know the bleeding hearts will never let that happen, will they?

RC54730

Tim-in-TX said:
If our prisons actually punished criminals, instead of being training schools (with internet, TV's and weight benches) for the bad guys, then criminals would think twice before committing a crime. As it stands now, there is little deterrent because the bad guys know that they will do less than a third of their time and get a good education in how to better commit the crime next time. For the true die hards, going to prison is a right of passage and worn like a badge of honor when among their peers.
Do aways with the phones, internet, weight benches, exercise yards, TV's, and all contact with fellow prisoners, then THAT would be a deterrent. Let them out once a day for an hour, for organized calisthenics, and the rest of the time they spend in their cells...they can even eat in their cells.

But we know the bleeding hearts will never let that happen, will they?
Well, I certainly don't want to see prisoners not have access to telephones or the internet, they have a right to research legal issues for their defense, to communicate with family members and their attorneys, etc.

I will agree with you on the point about excercise yards, etc. It's a little ridiculous to claim that prisoners need access to weight lifting equipment. They ought to be able to get by on pushups and jumping jacks - works for the military.

It's hilarious to see a state like NY make it difficult for law-abiding citizens to get Mace or a Taser, when they supply weight-lifting equipment to violent criminals. Boy, good thing those 250lb gladiator ex-cons can't use a can of Mace on a 95lb woman...

The real problem is that most of these people who are incarcerated are in there for non-violent offenses, and the majority of those are the result of the so-called war on drugs. The numbers would go way down if certain drugs were legalized, and if people who had drug problems had better access to treatment, etc.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
RC54730 said:
The real problem is that most of these people who are incarcerated are in there for non-violent offenses, and the majority of those are the result of the so-called war on drugs. The numbers would go way down if certain drugs were legalized, and if people who had drug problems had better access to treatment, etc.
It all boils down to money. You can house a prisoner for $50,000 a year or less. $50,000, when spent on therapy and drug rehab, might last you 3-6 months. And there's no guarantee it will do any good.

Simply put, prison's cheaper and it still is enough of a deterrent for some to quit.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"This may be anecdotal, but when Texas had the early release/parole system because of prison overcrowding...the crime rates in major cities went up."

Turn 'em loose and what else can you expect?

"When more prison space was built for the miscreants, the crime rate, especially burglaries, thefts, and homicides, went down."

Duh, not much opportunity to commit street crime in prison I suppose, uh, duh?

"Kill em all and let God sort em out...eh!"

You're beginning to learn something.

"If our prisons actually punished criminals, instead of being training schools (with internet, TV's and weight benches) for the bad guys, then criminals would think twice before committing a crime."

Oh really? It's been proven the death penalty is no deterrent (one reason it's been abolished by most states) so how can you expect punishment to do any better?

"It all boils down to money. You can house a prisoner for $50,000 a year or less. $50,000, when spent on therapy and drug rehab, might last you 3-6 months. And there's no guarantee it will do any good."

My point entirely! Death, not the death penalty is the only effective deterrent. The dead don't commit crimes.

"Simply put, prison's cheaper..."

Cheaper than a shot of potassium chloride?

"...and it still is enough of a deterrent for some to quit."

Perhaps a more realistic word would be "few"? To those who think that death is cruel and inhuman punishment I say tell it to the families of the victims. To those willing to pay the national average of $40,000 per year per inmate for warehousing scum I say send your money to me, I can live comfortably on $40,000 a year just like that scum you're supporting.

Last edited:

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
RC54730 said:
Well, I certainly don't want to see prisoners not have access to telephones or the internet, they have a right to research legal issues for their defense, to communicate with family members and their attorneys, etc.
Sorry, I should have been a little more clear, they should have access to lawyers and family, I did not mean that they should be cut off totally from the outside world. As for using the internet to research legal issues for their defense, that is what law books and lawyers are for. They still should have no internet access IMHO.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
No internet access in Texas. That is too much. They get free writing materials and stamps/envelopes if they are indigent (less than $5), and they have access to the Law Library when they need it as well. Unfortunately, telephones are on the way here. They already have 90 day phone calls, and they depend on good behavior and classification. But the new pay phones are supposed to be either collect or from buying phone cards/credits, and they will be installed in dormitories/dayrooms. It will cause a lot of problems, mark my words. Hopefully, I will be well into my new law enforcement career and long gone from TDCJ when they are installed!

Status
Not open for further replies.