New Hoboken PD frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

periginald

I currently run a streaming Hoboken PD/FD Scanner.. and it sounds like they're in the process of making the move to a new frequency (is it Digital? Encrypted?)

Either way, how can I find out what the new frequencies are?

Does anyone have that info?

Much thanks!

AlexC

Database Admin
Yes!

They are changing over frequencies due to rebanding, hense why they have gotten a number of new radios recently. Sprint/Nextel should have floated the entire bill for it, but knowing how things work in Hoboken, you never know.

Both channel 1 and 2 are changing, as well as their radios are being programed with the new "rebanded" I-TAC channels (which aren't even in use in NJ, go figure, so much for "interoperability"...)

Currently, they changed the frequency for Channel 1, and are simulcasting the dispatcher on both old channel 2, and new channel 1. Channel 2 is scheduled to roll over to the new channel sometime on Thursday.

I'll find out the frequencies when I get home and post them up here.

They are remaining analog, non-digital, with no encryption.

-Alex

DJ88

According to Jim Robbins' post on the Bellville PD Thread, for frequencies in the 866 - 868 MHz range, subtract 15 MHz and you'll get the new rebanded frequencies. So, in the case of Hoboken PD:
Police F1 - 868.6500 - the rebanded frequency would be 853.6500
Police F2 - 868.2750 - the rebanded frequency would be 853.2750

The thread is here:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106076
Jim's post is #8.

nydxa

Can we double check this?

DJ88 said:
According to Jim Robbins' post on the Bellville PD Thread, for frequencies in the 866 - 868 MHz range, subtract 15 MHz and you'll get the new rebanded frequencies. So, in the case of Hoboken PD:
Police F1 - 868.6500 - the rebanded frequency would be 853.6500
Police F2 - 868.2750 - the rebanded frequency would be 853.2750

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't F1 866.650?

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp?licKey=1172784&pageNumToReturn=1
According to the FCC site:
851.650: PD F1 ?
853.275: PD F2 ?

Do we know the assignments on the remaining?
Same PL's/

AlexC

Database Admin
Those should be the new channels.

Hoboken has been using Channel 2 - 868.275 for main dispatch since around November. There was some problem with Channel 1. That "problem" may have caused this whole change, but who knows.

The DPL's are remaining the same.

-Alex

ctrabs74

AlexC said:
Both channel 1 and 2 are changing, as well as their radios are being programed with the new "rebanded" I-TAC channels (which aren't even in use in NJ, go figure, so much for "interoperability"...)

Dosen't Hoboken use the I-Tac freqs for their special ops (ie. Detectives, etc.)?

AlexC

Database Admin
ctrabs74 said:
Dosen't Hoboken use the I-Tac freqs for their special ops (ie. Detectives, etc.)?

I thought that they did as well because they are listed as such on RR, but never once have I heard anything on them, so I stopped monitoring.

800 simplex only goes so far in a 1 square mile town....

DJ88

nydxa said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't F1 866.650?

You are correct. My bad. I guess I need to have my glasses checked. Hopefully periginald will see this and make the correction, which should be 851.650

As for the second part of your question, hopefully someone will be able to give us that information.

Last edited:

gcr33

I tacs are not for ordinary use. If they are trying to hide out there are far more people listening there now then before.

periginald

yes, I got the revised number. I have them both programmed in just in case.

Again, I totally appreciate all your help! I'm glad Hoboken didn't decide to go through the encrypted/digital route.

ansky

I heard some PD activity on 851.65 last night, although I didn't listen long enough to determine if this was being used as the main dispatch channel.

AlexC

Database Admin
ansky said:
I heard some PD activity on 851.65 last night, although I didn't listen long enough to determine if this was being used as the main dispatch channel.

This is the new primary channel for Hoboken PD. They haven't yet switched over the channel 2 repeater (still currently on 868.275 mhz). What the PD is doing is simulcasting the dispatch console over both channels so that the radios which are not reprogrammed yet can still communicate with dispatch.

If you listen to 851.65 - you should hear most of the operations, but may need to also monitor the 868.275 for a while to hear some of the other units the dispatcher is answering. Because of repeater tails and priority scanning, it may make it problematic to hear the complete messages concurrently.

Once all radios are reporgramed, they will take 868.275 off the air and swap it to it's new channel of 853.2750, and that will remain channel 2, and i'm sure dispatch will stop simulcasting on both channels.

Enjoy.

-alex

Last edited:

periginald

Quick Question for you guys: I've been broadcasting a live stream of the Hoboken PD and FD for the past couple years. (just go to shoutcast and search for Hoboken)...

It seems since my site has gotten so popular - and many people are "listening" to the action over the air - something has changed considerably.

For one - many calls are now made via cell or landline phones. Rendering much of what you hear as an "incomplete" story.

My question is: Is that LEGAL? Can they dispatch calls any way they want? Or are they by law, supposed to communicate all information over the air?

I know they think because the "people are listening," they feel "violated" or under pressure, etc.. but I'd think with a community of scanner junkies - it would actually HELP them in the long run...

Does anyone know?

AlexC

Database Admin
There is nothing illegal about it. They could go to complete silent dispatching where jobs are just sent to their computers and they chase those. There's a lot of places that probably do 75% over MDT, and maybe only 25% of jobs go out over the air. The jobs going over the MDT are probably noise complaints, animal issues, the kind of stuff you would call a "311" number for. It could be worse, they could dispatch over Nextel. Jersey City will probably start encrypting a lot of their police traffic when their system comes online probably in Feb/March of '09. I'm sure Bayonne is waiting to flip the switch to encryption as well (if not already using it - I don't really listen). Kearney also has a system which they could run encryption on.

There usually are a couple of arguments or schools of thought:

1) I pay their salaries, I have a right to know what's going on
2) I'm a member of the press/media and therefore want to be able to cover stories of public interest.

I've heard of some cities just now put jobs that meet a certain criteria over in "the clear" so other people listening can hear them. For example fires, major motor vehicle accidents, etc.

I know in FL most people who do news gathering get their own pre-programmed radio and a stack of letters of authorization to carry the radio and be able to listen.

In NY/NJ Metro area there's a lot of incident notification groups - Breaking News Network (pager/email based - the best in the area), Metro Fire, Citywide Radio, Citywide 1 NY, etc, which you can tune into to hear some of the "hot jobs". A lot of media personnel and public safety groups subscribe to these services to be able to participate and earn their living.

In Hoboken I can tell you for sure there's memo's up in most the dispatch areas reminding people that Hoboken411 (which I think you run) has a online scanner setup and people can listen. However, as things change and information becomes more easily accessible by private means anticipate hearing less and less.

Note: From what I can gather the People who do run a lot of the PD communications don't really have anyone "in the know" helping them out with issues or consulting. I think if they knew "how" to do encryption they probably would. Maybe then you wouldn't hear that they go pick packages up 20 times a day.

-Alex

Last edited:

periginald

Well - so much for government transparency.. now when their friends or relatives screw up - they can keep it quiet... Oh well!

AlexC

Database Admin
What does radio transmission have to do with open government?
It has to do with your hobby of listening to a scanner.

I disagree with this statement. I understand the use that the O.P. has with the scanner, and in this case it happens to be with open gov't. The argument in this case would be that my tax dollars are what allows a city to operate. The Police department can be held accountable for it's actions publicly, therefore, I should have a right to "listen" and know what is going on.

This is an argument that I'm sure most people on this forum have heard or read at one point or another so I know it's nothing new. To some people they want to know how many times they send people out from the department on "errands" to pick up donuts or coffee for the "desk."

It allows for some oversight is what I think the point I'm trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.