• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New HT1000 Radio and user

Not open for further replies.


Mar 10, 2012
Grantville PA
Hello all, I just purchased a Motorola HT1000 to use in a variety of ways. I need some help learning what I need so I can transmit on this radio legally (for the most part). My two main uses for this radio are going to be the hobby Airsoft and a volunteer organization that I am involved in within my township that works with the police department doing special details.

For the Airsoft use of the radio I plan to use FRS/GMRS channels and be able to transmit with Motorola's MR350 Walkie Talkies. How would I go about doing this and is it a good idea even know this radio is technically not a legal FRS radio (because of the removable antenna)?

For the volunteer organization I am interested in using this radio in a similar way to airsoft but I am new to the whole types of radios and have a couple questions. In my area, Pennsylvanian-suburbs north of Philadelphia our school districts have smaller radios that look very similar to VHF or UHF radios but im not 100% sure. What do they transmit on?? Does a school district get a license or get special permissions?

If we plan to use these at our events should I bother with a license frequency for our organization or would the use of FRS/GMRS channels be okay for our use.

Now I know that GMRS technically requires a license, how does that whole system work and is it an individual license or radio based?? Now even know a license is required, I have know other people to use the GMRS frequency's on the MR350's and have no problem at all, is this a good idea, bad idea, disrespectful in the world of portable radios??

I truly appreciate any help and replies. I am just trying to be a knowledgeable individual and legal individual by learning the laws and how to's before just picking up my radio and transmitting on it. Thanks again.
Not open for further replies.