New ICOM IC-R20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, fellow scanner enthusiasts. I just got myself a brand new ICOM IC-R20. Or is it just R20? Anyway I cannot understand the instructions at all. I am trying to scan 1300 to 3304 MHz in what the Uniden scanner instruction manual called a "CHAIN SEARCH". I am NOT having any luck with this scanner!!! The ICOM R20 manual appears to have some errors. And why does ICOM insist on pressing the "BAND" button to find a band they don't even list? 1300 and 3300 MHz are in the Ultra High and Super High categories.

Any advice???

Thank you very, very much for anything you may offer.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
The R-20 is a great radio. It takes time and some patience to learn to use it. Be aware that pressing buttons is not as simple as pressing buttons- there are long presses that do one thing and short presses that do something else. My advice would be to start with some basic frequency inputing- use the software if you have it. Get used to the basic controls and then go forward.

There used to be a resource on line with a simplified instruction manual. I tried the link I had but it says not found. I used to have an R-20 and found it to be pretty easy to use after a while. Every once in a while on e-bay someone lists a pocket card instruction sheet. It might be worth looking for it.

I found the Icom manual a bit awkward to use but again after some trial and error it began to come to me.

Response

Trap5858:
Thank you for your response. I have the "ICOM IC-R20" manual and it contains the "pocket guides" yet I am no closer to success than I was two days ago. I owned a Uniden and everything I know about scanners is from the Uniden. Uniden and ICOM do not use the same terminology. In the ICOM manual on page 34 under "Scan Operation" (Chapter 7), "Scan Types", "Programmed Scan", I find the equivalent to Uniden's "Chain Search". I am then referred to "(p.37)". When I turn to said "(p.37)", I cannot understand what is printed. I was wondering if it was poorly translated from the Japanese. ICOM's help line is on PST and closed weekends. But I shall endeavor to persevere, as they say, and I'll try the 1-2-3 second button depressing that ICOM has installed on my R20. And it seems Uniden's "VFO" is a roller or a wheel type button but the ICOM's "VFO" is a "mode". I hope I arrive at my "Eureka" moment soon.

Falconeye

Hi all,

I think I will purchase this scanner but it will be my first scanner and I am not familar with scanners, do you think I will manage to use it ? Where can we find help about this scanner.

do you know if there are software and drivers for connecting this scanner to my computer running unde windows 7 ?

Thanks for your help.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
To newspocketplayer- did you get the link to that other site I sent? It explains things very well and I used it many times to get my head around some of the Icom terminology. Scanning and searching are the basically the same thing according to Icom. On one hand, you assign frequencies specifically and on the other, you assign a range for the radio to run through. It is very hard to explain without the radio in my hand. I suggest as you play with it, you write down the exact steps to take to get various things to take place.

On mine I had assigned specific frequencies to specific banks and then used the bank link feature to "scan" them.

Do check out that website with the simplified info on it. It was a life saver.

Icom

I looked at the link you sent me, thank you very much, and it was vague. I think the guy edited a lot of material out of it. But I am no closer to resolving my issue than I was when I got the ICOM. I was introduced to my first scanner via the Uniden BC3300XLT. The manual was very clear and within a few minutes I could operate my Uniden and do whatever I wanted. But the 1.3 GHz limit prompted me to buy an ICOM. After failure I called the ICOM help line and the first thing they said was, "We do not give tutorials.", and tried to disconnect the line as quickly as possible. I convinced the fourth ICOM "help" line clerk to explain how to perform what Uniden calls a "CHAIN SEARCH", or "SEARCH RANGE". This clerk said that the ICOM manual he was looking through was "confusing" and "inaccurate" as he said he had the same ICOM IC-R20 and manual I have.He followed the steps and got nowhere. He then terminated the phone call with "I'll write an instruction sheet and send it to you via email." (?????) I know I'll never hear from him again. Could you PLEASE tell me in step by step instruction how to program a "CHAIN SEARCH" with 1300mhz to 3304 mhz and the two limits? Could you also tell me how to retrieve said "CHAIN SEARCH" after I turn the ICOM off? I am able to progam single frequencies but the ICOM will not accept frequencies with four digits on the RIGHT side of the decimal point. When I try to enter the fourth digit ICOM deletes the numerals I had just entered!! In my travels through TECHNOLOGY TOWN I have found that the big manufacturers have no problem putting "broke" products on the market. You buy it and you find that it will not do something that it is supposed to do. Inferior merchandise.

OK. OK. I was successful. On page VII I followed "Programmed scan operation". And with the indication from the site you linked I was able to program the frequencies and initiate a scan. ICOM REALLY needs a new manual. It's really great to scan new frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.