New Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

I am getting ready to install a Gamber Johnson stackmaster 3 in my 2005 f150. I will be placing it over the hump mount of the vehicle. The bottom plate doesn't wrap around the hump mount like they should because my hump mount is wider than what the brackets will extend out. I am thinking about drilling 4 new holes in the base of the bracket and going thru the floor board around the transmission. I know I need to be careful around the transmission underside.

I was wondering what bolts I should use to make this totally secure. there is going to be a gap between the floor and the bottom bracket of about an Inch and a half. I know I can do without the transmission brackets and go directly to the floor but I loosed that height that I do need to safely get to my radios. Or the other option is to get a longer piece of pipe. Here is the link to the stackmaster.

GAMBER JOHNSON STACKMASTER RADIO RACK [GAMSM-20X] - $88.65 : Roper Supply, Police Equipment & Supply
Thanks
Michael
kb0vwg
wqoi992

W2PMX

I'd really have to see the installation to be more exact (put the vehicle on a lift and measure the floor-to-transmission-housing clearance), but 4X1-3/4" #10 PK screws should be secure enough. Put a star washer under each screw head.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Keep the hump bracket and the tree will be more stable. Fords have a nice wide flat hump for mounting stuff, but that bracket is more generic. Can you bend the wings out so they are more flat? Or at least the bottom 1 1/2" so the mount holes lay flat (without crazing the paint, not probable). You may have to clean it up and rattle can it again.

I don't know what you'll put on there, but I would shy away from screws to secure a tree, they just won't hold fast over time. I would bolt it down.

Here's how I do a one man install on a hump. First check top and bottom for clams. Usually the hump is safe except for drilling into the drive-line. Then get some 1/4-20" X 4" carriage bolts, 1/4" fender washers and 1/4-20" nylon stop nuts. Set your mount up as you like it and drill through the hump and the foil backed insulation (hint; drill reversed through the carpet, then go forward when you hit metal and you won't pull up any fuzz) and stick a bolt down as you go. Now dive underneath and stick on a fender washer and start the nut. Hold the bolt with vise grips (not too tight, you'll squish the threads) and work the nut up with an open end wrench. Turn and turn (and turn and turn) until all four bolts are tight. Now clamp the vise grips on the bolt about 1/2" from the nut. Rock it back and forth until it breaks off at the nut (the old bailing wire cut). Piece of cake and those stop nuts hold better than anything I've ever used.

Last edited:

BillyFred

For sure bolts rather than screws. I always use stainless on something like this and the nylon fiber nuts are a must. Years ago I used stackmasters and I can tell you it will likely shake unless you brace it near the radios. It's an okay mount but have you look at some of the consoles made for the truck?

Also, I can't remember on my trucks of that vintage but I can tell you for a fact the rollover airbag brain is mounted under the factory console in at 2009 and 2010 F150. This means lots of wires that makes things go bang! Be very careful to look under that carpet before you drill.

KB0VWG

Thanks for the replies

I haven't looked under the matting of the truck I don't have carpet so that is one less thing to worry about. I was concerned about the mount being stable and Thats why I do want to leave the bottom base brackets attached to the stand. The bolts that I do get will have to be longer since I am using the brackets. I will have a total of 3 radios mounted, The install I have now I just have 2 radios sitting on a low hump mount and the radios are not easily accessible. i guess my only fear is drilling the holes and hope everything gets lined up correctly. I will post pictures when I am done.
Thanks
73's
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Status
Not open for further replies.