New-ish... want the best scanner for local PD/Fire

lu121222

Hello!
I need the best scanner for police/fire in my area. I currently have a Whistler 1065 which I understand is digital but, I am lost at what point it is capable of covering. I am covering the scanner for more than hobby reasons so I don't mind investing in a better/the best scanner. I understand (from going to the scanner store that is local) that I am pretty much getting the best reception with my antenna here I am going to get. Apartment building/better antenna on the balcony.
I have looked into a Uniden sds 200 and that looks like a programming learning curve which is OK but would I get more channels here than I am getting already? (Encrypted?) Could I achieve that goal with a scanner better than the whistler 1065 but a step back from the SDS 200? (just curious). I am under the impression it has computer aided scanning but I don't think it's going to help me pick up for example, the town I can not receive because it is blocked by a huge hill...is that correct?

Any help is appreciated. Live in Rockingham County NH.
Laura

ScannerSK

Your county as shown in the RadioReference database:

There is a OneVoice DMR Network that has some EMS on it however it appears your county is still mostly conventional. I could be overlooking something. You did not mention interest in EMS, just police/fire.

Uniden scanners tend to work better near large cities as they handle higher levels of radio interference better than Whistler scanners.

Encrypted signals cannoted be received with any scanner.

A Uniden scanner may help with reception of distant conventional channels, even beyond a hill, more than anticipated as Whistler scanners are often limited or even very limited by RF overload. Uniden scanners work a lot better with external antennas than the Whistler scanners tend to due to the overload issues.

From what I can see, the SDS200 would be overkill for your location. Something along the lines of a BCD996P2 model might be worth a try at half the price of the SDS200.

Shawn

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums & thanks for giving your location. Skimming through your county's database page I'm seeing a mixture of P25 conventional (mode "P25") and analog conventional (mode "FMN"). A Whistler WS1065 should work for these assuming transmissions aren't simulcast across multiple towers (see simulcast distortion wiki for the issues this can cause) as appears to be the case for Derry for example. Note, locations #1, 2, 4 & 5 on the Derry license all broadcast 151.010 which would indicate conventional simulcast. An SDS200 would be preferred over a WS1065 to bring in Derry Police since it best mitigates the effects of simulcast distortion. A few agencies are showing partial encryption (mode P25e) so you'll be able to hear some transmissions from these frequencies but not others. Perhaps encryption is enabled on demand here?

I have looked into a Uniden sds 200 and that looks like a programming learning curve which is OK but would I get more channels here than I am getting already? (Encrypted?)
No scanner can pick up encrypted transmissions...PERIOD. Assuming 100% database accuracy I'm not seeing anything fully encrypted for your county (mode "P25E" with uppercase "E" for example) but as I mentioned before, some are partially encrypted. I know this is a lot of info to take in at once but there are plenty of folks here on the RR forums who can lend you a helping hand. Area-specific questions can best be answered in your state's discussion forum where you'd be more likely to find someone in your area who can answer

lu121222

These answers are EXACTLY what I needed woo hoo thank you so much. I think for me my issue is geography right now, as I can not get the huge city of Portsmouth NH which is only a few towns away. There is a big hill in between. However other local stations still come in horribly. (I am in Exeter NH zip 03833...can barely hear Hampton almost a town away.) Wish I could get an antenna on this apartment building.

bearcatrp

Get the SDS 200. You won’t regret it. Use your Whistler for analog transmissions. You can start off using zip code location to start right away. Just enter your zip code, then select distance. Start of at 10 miles, then adjust as needed. Easy peasy. When you ready, start creating favorites. Sentinal is the free software to update the scanner and to help create favorites. Not hard at all. Proscan is another program that works to create favorites. Free to try, but purchase after the trial. Worth every penny. You can leave the scanner hooked up to your computer and log everything it hears while you’re sleeping. Cool to get up in the morning to see what you missed overnight. I have been logging the last 2 years 24/7. Don’t need a powerful computer either. Everyone here can help you with any questions or problems to get you going. Get it and enjoy. We can help you select a better antenna for your balcony when your ready to get setup.

ScannerSK

Get the SDS 200. You won’t regret it. Use your Whistler for analog transmissions. You can start off using zip code location to start right away. Just enter your zip code, then select distance. Start of at 10 miles, then adjust as needed. Easy peasy. When you ready, start creating favorites. Sentinal is the free software to update the scanner and to help create favorites. Not hard at all. Proscan is another program that works to create favorites. Free to try, but purchase after the trial. Worth every penny. You can leave the scanner hooked up to your computer and log everything it hears while you’re sleeping. Cool to get up in the morning to see what you missed overnight. I have been logging the last 2 years 24/7. Don’t need a powerful computer either. Everyone here can help you with any questions or problems to get you going. Get it and enjoy. We can help you select a better antenna for your balcony when your ready to get setup.
Said like a salesman. I was disappointed with the handheld SDS100 and sold it on eBay as it did not receive any better on my local difficult to receive P25 simulcast system than the less expensive BCD436HP scanner. There is a lot of hype around the SDS scanners in my opinion.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Said like a salesman. I was disappointed with the handheld SDS100 and sold it on eBay as it did not receive any better on my local difficult to receive P25 simulcast system than the less expensive BCD436HP scanner. There is a lot of hype around the SDS scanners in my opinion.
Everyone's mileage varies here though the vast majority of SDS100 owners here on the forums will disagree with you that it's all "hype". I've been the proud owner of an SDS100 since its release in 2018, still performs like a champ on heavily simulcast systems in my listening area & that's what I use mine for primarily. At times I've found the SDS100 leaves some things to be desired on analog conventional. Understand that not everyone's RF environment is exactly the same so don't paint the SDS series with a broad brush. Certain things can be done to fine tune reception on systems you're having a hard time bringing in like Using Filters.

Wish I could get an antenna on this apartment building.
When I lived in an apartment I placed a magmount antenna on my windowsill. Worked well enough to bring in local traffic which at that location was 500mhz analog conventional. Worth a shot

Last edited:

Bird_Person

Premium Subscriber
Everyone's mileage varies here though the vast majority of SDS100 owners here on the forums will disagree with you that it's all "hype". I've been the proud owner of an SDS100 since its release in 2018, still performs like a champ on heavily simulcast systems in my listening area & that's what I use mine for primarily. At times I've found the SDS100 leaves some things to be desired on analog conventional. Understand that not everyone's RF environment is exactly the same so don't paint the SDS series with a broad brush. Certain things can be done to fine tune reception on systems you're having a hard time bringing in like Using Filters.

When I lived in an apartment I placed a magmount antenna on my windowsill. Worked well enough to bring in local traffic which at that location was 500mhz analog conventional. Worth a shot
True. I absolutely love my SDS100. It can be tweaked and set to be almost near perfect for anything.

I live in Massachusetts near Boston.

lu121222

I have a magmount antenna on the window sill :)

lu121222

I am soooo tempted. I will decide the next few days. :)

bearcatrp

Not selling anything. Just stating my personal experience with the SDS200. It is the best scanner for simulcast and can be used as a home base or mounted in a vehicle. I had the 436. Was a good scanner. After it got ripped off, decided to try the 325P2. Works just as good but less expensive.

lu121222

Can you recommend a better antenna for the balcony anyway? I am 99% sure I am going to go for it, it is in the Amazon cart. Just moving some money around. I might as well make a project of it and get the antenna. I am going to need one of those things that allows the wire to go under the door too... as I can't drill a hole from the outside of the balcony inside. what kind of connector does the sds200 have on the back for an antenna? Thanks in advance again.

bearcatrp

BNC female is what’s on the SDS200. I’ll let others chime in on better antenna for a balcony as I dont have experience for balconies. Probably a tri band mag mount that you put on a cookie sheet though. Unless you want a full size antenna covering part of your balcony, would suggest a Omni X. But let those who have dealt with balconies to give you good options. As for coax, how much space do you have to play with? Problem with coax like RG58, you start loosing signal the longer you get. I only use that stuff for a short jumper so I don’t stress the connection at the radio with stuff like LMR 400, thick but good stuff. Measure what you have to play with and post it so others can give you the best options. Also figure how long you need to reach where the radio will be sitting for you.

lu121222

BNC female is what’s on the SDS200. I’ll let others chime in on better antenna for a balcony as I dont have experience for balconies. Probably a tri band mag mount that you put on a cookie sheet though. Unless you want a full size antenna covering part of your balcony, would suggest a Omni X. But let those who have dealt with balconies to give you good options. As for coax, how much space do you have to play with? Problem with coax like RG58, you start loosing signal the longer you get. I only use that stuff for a short jumper so I don’t stress the connection at the radio with stuff like LMR 400, thick but good stuff. Measure what you have to play with and post it so others can give you the best options. Also figure how long you need to reach where the radio will be sitting for you.
OK, cool. I have about 25 ft to where the scanner would be from the balcony. One door to hopefully use a jumper that can go under the door.

marksmith

If you don't have simulcast issues, the SDS Uniden radios are overkill.

If you do have simulcast issues, the ONLY radio that solves that issue are the SDS radios.

In my area, you double what you can receive by using an SDS radio instead of all the other uniden models. Literally. It is a massive difference on Trunking simulcast systems.

The SDS radios are actually not that great at VHF reception..

kbrown1075

Premium Subscriber
Can you recommend a better antenna for the balcony anyway? I am 99% sure I am going to go for it, it is in the Amazon cart. Just moving some money around. I might as well make a project of it and get the antenna. I am going to need one of those things that allows the wire to go under the door too... as I can't drill a hole from the outside of the balcony inside. what kind of connector does the sds200 have on the back for an antenna? Thanks in advance again.
"Better Antenna" can be quite subjective. How I generally deal with selecting my scanner antennas is I answer a few questions to myself. 1- What band(s) are most important to me (VHF, UHF, 700/800). 2- The current signal of each band/ frequency I want to listen to and focus on improving the weaker signals. 3-If I'm really focusing on one band, I'll purchase an antenna for that band.When using an antenna for receiving, most antennas will receive other bands pretty well, hence why I focus on what I want to hear and signal improvement. Band specific antennas aren't as critical in the receiving world, it's most important that you have a proper antenna when transmitting to reduce the reflected power back into the radio. Receiving, you don't have to worry about that. In my current situation, my focus is on 700/800 MHz, simulcast EDACS. In the house, I am so close to a site that I don't even need an antenna. I use an SDS100 in the vehicle with a cellular antenna that sticks on the inside of the window concealed against the A post and windshield.The antenna also came with the correct SMA male connector on the coax. You want to limit the number of connectors and adapters you have in your coax. Each connector/ adapter adds to loss of signal, so what you may gain with an awesome antenna, you may lose going thru several connectors. Unfortunately, antennas can take a lot of trial and error. Sometimes moving an antenna a few feet can dramatically improve a desired signal. I do commercial radio work and am a ham. I enjoy building and experimenting with antennas. I started with scanners 40 years ago. I learn new things often!!! Best of luck.