New Jersey Interoperability Communication System (NJICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
Hi guys that was me, chief of EMS and our squad captain, NAVES has we have a funeral detail for a Clara amass medical center and former squad member that passed late last week from covid-19. thanks for posting the tg number. Here is the plan for North Arlington, more than likely we are moving over to njics over the next year, police, fire. ems, here is the good news, **** no encryption **** for the police day to day operations so you will still hear road closures, dv's and still hear cars being dispatched to " hey my neighbor's dog just " shXt" on my lawn calls. we are keeping the old analog system up so we can still communicate with mutual aid, paramedics, crossing guards and CERT and if the njics system ever has an issue and goes down we have a backup, only makes sense, right now committee leads from Police, Fire and EMS have radios maybe around 6 in the pool. IMO nice system in our testing, trying to figure out if we are banging off the Alpine repeater because when I test in the Hillsdale area I only show 2 bars on the Harris radio I am carrying. so besides a sub-basement in Hillsdale and deep within a warehouse in North Arlington there the only two " Dead Spots " we can find from the Mahwah area down to Sayreville area west to Morristown Medical Center.
until all the departments are up and running and a total rebuild of the communications center at North Arlington I have asked if we could apply for a permanent tg now I was told would we are using is temporary. Hope this helps shed some light on the situation.
Sounding good this morning on the West Orange Simulcast System.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
so interesting that towns on NJICS need to keep their analog systems to communicate with towns around them. So much for Interoperability, one of the prime reasons this system was designed for......

Not the case in Union County with all mutual aid operations permanently patched to and from the NJICS.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
Not the case in Union County with all mutual aid operations permanently patched to and from the NJICS.
Yes Union County where you have a coordinated effort to bring everything onto the NJ ICS.. other counties like Essex that have a ridiculous patchwork of nothing in particular.... Morris County and Somerset County where most municipalities are on County p25 systems.. I could go on. New Jersey is a mess

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Time to go back old school...VHF/LO. Great coverage when NJSP was on 44.62 and my local FD was on 33.82. Everyone in the county was on the same simplex channel. Sure we heard tons of plectron tones from other towns, but that was nice thing..I could hear everyone without ever having to scan

NParkNJ

On the Road
If you think that’s difficult listening try Passaic County!!

Towns all within minutes of each other on completely different systems.

You have Ringwood and Wanaque on VHF, and UHF, West Milford on Lowband, Oakland on NJICS, Wayne on their own P25 TRS, PCSO on NJICS....

Talk about a PITA to listen to all of them at once...

mondaro

Feed Provider
so interesting that towns on NJICS need to keep their analog systems to communicate with towns around them. So much for Interoperability, one of the prime reasons this system was designed for......

The NJICS system is not the end-all and be-all of radio, an agency that is smart will keep there an older system to use as a backup system if possible, I for one need to communicate with my mutual aid agencies and I also need to communicate with my paramedics. so if NJICS fails and it will someday it's only a matter of time our department will be in good shape having the backup radio system in place, as far as E that wasn't happening in my town and will not happen period, there is no need for E in public safety no matter want the uneducated Police Chiefs to have to say about it and our Motorola Rep was cautioned not to bring it up or they would be replaced by another vendor, one thing I will say about the NJICS system I am pretty impressed with its coverage, also Bergen County is a hot mess when it comes to different radio systems it's a shame I have to have three mobile radios in my ambulances just to communicate with the towns right next to me.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
I show a Livingston radio trying to affiliate to it. This was on Hunterdon and it was denied. I will keep an eye on it today and see if I get anything.

PD will have several talkgroups. Fire will have an operations talkgroup but FD and EMS will retain the old VHF repeater for dispatch.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
5107 is probably the Livingston Talkgroup you guys are looking for.
Cool - Good to know. I know they are going to have 4 Talkgroups, I assume PD1-3 will have an E on it, not sure if the fire one will be E. The Fire Dept is not moving, maintaining VHF but perhaps it is or the Chiefs... or future.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
This is beyond frustrating. Verona and North Caldwell are right next to each other, and on the same system, yet have to use SPEN to call each other. We are still waiting for updates to our radios for West Essex First aid squad almost a year!

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I show a Livingston radio trying to affiliate to it. This was on Hunterdon and it was denied. I will keep an eye on it today and see if I get anything.
I wonder if that is where the programmers are. NO reason for us to be on that tower unless a cop received is radio and was messing around.

slingshot202

Feed Provider
I am not sure how you can see if they are denied, but I am just using a 536. I have not seen any activity down here on the WO system, it is the only one I have a monitor on since I assume it is the most we will see.

Tac-1

Livingston NJICS

RESOLUTION OF THE TOWNSHIP COUNCIL OF THE TOWNSHIP OF
LIVINGSTON, IN THE COUNTY OF ESSEX, NEW JERSEY
APPROVING NEW JERSEY INTEROPERABLE COMMUNICATIONS
SYSTEM (NJICS) USER AGREEMENT WITH THE STATE OF NEW
JERSEY
WHEREAS, the Township of Livingston (the “Township”) has a need to replace its
outdated public safety radio system; and
WHEREAS, the Township Manager and the Police and Fire Departments have
reviewed the available options and recommended that the Township participate in the
Statewide 700 MHz, P-25 Trunked Radio System (the “P-25 System”); and

WHEREAS, the Township’s participation in the P-25 system requires the Township to
enter into an Interoperable Communications System (NJCIS) User Agreement with the State
of New Jersey, which agreement uniform with all participating municipalities in the state and
has been reviewed and recommended by the Township Manager.
NOW THEREFORE, it is hereby resolved that the Township Council of the Township of
Livingston hereby approves the attached New Jersey Interoperable Communications System
(NJCIS) User Agreement (the “Agreement”) with the State of New Jersey Office of Information
Technology and authorizes the Township Manager to execute the Agreement and any related
documents.

Status
Not open for further replies.