New Jersey Interoperability Communication System (NJICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Radio Ditch, I was at the WalMart lot in the back from 2:15-2:45 pm this afternoon working the site(s) as well. I was just as confused at first, so I headed to Chatsworth site, and lo and behold, it's now part of Site 3, and Site 21 is off the air down there. Looks like we are gonna need teamwork here from everyone and check every site once weekly for updates. I will be submitting an update to the database of other changes I found shortly.

Sorry about the retort @GM I fell for the RF strength troll. I'm home from work for the next month, so I'll be having fun with the radios to decompress. Happy to team up on all of this. I guess Chatsworth's status also answers a couple of @GTR8000 questions.

But the big mystery remains. Why the hell are there two sites on the same tower, handling the same traffic?

Reactions: GM

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
37 is the STR (Strategic Technology Reserve) and is a trailer that was used as a temp site. Seems 35 is the perm site (finally). Burlington Co had to build a new tower (as part of their new P25 system) and the STR was there until the tower was built and the new site was put in place. I would assume that 37 will go off the air eventually and you wont see it until needed again somewhere else.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
37 is the STR (Strategic Technology Reserve) and is a trailer that was used as a temp site. Seems 35 is the perm site (finally). Burlington Co had to build a new tower (as part of their new P25 system) and the STR was there until the tower was built and the new site was put in place. I would assume that 37 will go off the air eventually and you wont see it until needed again somewhere else.
Many thanks for clearing that up and providing great insight!

Based on that knowledge, I now find it interesting that the Chatsworth site was using the same pool of frequencies as the STR trailer at Cinnaminson, until that site became a subsite of the Bordentown cell. Perhaps not coincidence.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Many thanks for clearing that up and providing great insight!

Based on that knowledge, I now find it interesting that the Chatsworth site was using the same pool of frequencies as the STR trailer at Cinnaminson, until that site became a subsite of the Bordentown cell. Perhaps not coincidence.

And with Echo Lake being tagged as STR II, maybe not a coincidence if it shows up there next. I'm actually hoping that happens, cause from there on out, we'd know exactly what frequencies and indicators to look out for that a site is either being put live or will soon be integrated into a simulcast.

Last edited:

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
So living in the shadow of the Berlin transmitter I tested both Cinnaminson sites. I get a control channel for Site 15 774.53125 with moderate signal. I get no control channel signal whatsoever on 774.60625. So maybe they're different sites on the same tower, transmitting in opposite directions? By the way, I don't really understand the point of the Cinnaminson site...it's only about 5 miles from Camden transmitter which is part of the Berlin simulcast. I can attest coverage on that simulcast is very strong up into much of western Burlington County.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
So living in the shadow of the Berlin transmitter I tested both Cinnaminson sites. I get a control channel for Site 15 774.53125 with moderate signal. I get no control channel signal whatsoever on 774.60625. So maybe they're different sites on the same tower, transmitting in opposite directions? By the way, I don't really understand the point of the Cinnaminson site...it's only about 5 miles from Camden transmitter which is part of the Berlin simulcast. I can attest coverage on that simulcast is very strong up into much of western Burlington County.

They were both definitely set up omnidirectional when I was down there yesterday. However like I noted, the STR Trailer (Site 37) signal was weaker than I expected. I didn't start receiving it until I was within about 7-10mi or so of it, and had nothing from it when I initially came off the Turnpike onto NJ-73. Site 15 was another story, but being we now know that's the permanent site, that makes sense.

I didn't check the Berlin Simulcast for reception in the area while I was down there. @GM can probably speak to that being local.

I am going to head up to Newfoundland (STR II Echo Lake) today with a friend who has equipment on the tower to see if there's any sign of any equipment at the site that would add up to be an indication of additional work. Even though there's no sign of it being on the air.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So living in the shadow of the Berlin transmitter I tested both Cinnaminson sites. I get a control channel for Site 15 774.53125 with moderate signal. I get no control channel signal whatsoever on 774.60625. So maybe they're different sites on the same tower, transmitting in opposite directions?
Read kd2pm's post from last night. Site 37 is a trailer, not on the tower, and so it's to be expected that the signal would be weaker.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Cinnaminson will provide better coverage for NJTPD who have to canvas the Riverline tracks. Camden is not a high tower and its coverage is somewhat limited. That tower is only about 115 feet or so. Not like Berlin which is 300ft

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Looks like Google Earth may've captured an image of the STR deployed at the site in February 2019, before the new tower was constructed.

Also calls into question the "Mobile Site" listing in the database, as the two STR's are the mobile sites (SOW or Site On Wheels).

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Took the quick jaunt around Echo Lake, Bearfort Mountain, and Hamburg Mountain. No signs of anything of interest or change of note. Definitely no sign of the STR at Echo Lake or up on Hamburg Mountain. For Bearfort Mountain, I get a sense the site is going to be away from the Fire Tower, and probably closer to the Stephens Pond complex (the Tom Scala Mansion).

Last edited:

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I too was up in Bear Country today. Locked onto site 22 Ramapo. That has some impressive coverage as did Site 27 Walpack. I was glad I updated 22. Thanks GTR.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I too was up in Bear Country today. Locked onto site 22 Ramapo. That has some impressive coverage as did Site 27 Walpack. I was glad I updated 22. Thanks GTR.

Now imagine the combined power of Walpack, Paterson, and Echo Lake on simulcast...coming soo...well, sometime in our lifetimes. lol.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
High Point and Walpack have awesome coverage all over the area. It will be nice when they're combined with Hamburg to form the Sussex cell, rather than being ASR sites that often carry different traffic.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Hamburg is not installed yet. It will have good coverage at Mountain Creek, 23 and 517 for sure. I dont believe the STR will make it up the mountain even if they wanted to. Pretty rough drive up the dirt road to the site.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Hamburg is not installed yet. It will have good coverage at Mountain Creek, 23 and 517 for sure. I dont believe the STR will make it up the mountain even if they wanted to. Pretty rough drive up the dirt road to the site.

There were definitely some nice holes in that track. It was obvious the rain through the spring and last week weren't doing it any favours.

Maybe you could answer this @kd2pm .... is the Bearfort Mountain (West Milford) site going to be on the Fire Tower as the license coordinates suggest, or elsewhere on the ridge? Maybe closer to Stephens Road? I've hiked it a few times up to the Fire Tower, and other than a helo drop I can't figure how they're gonna lug the gear in there.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Bearfort fire tower is a very complicated location and even to get power up there would be a chore and a half. Not familiar of anything going there at the moment, just the Hardyston (aka Hamburg) location.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Site 21 is back on the air, and so far is showing as a Peer to Site 7 Simulcast. I checked Sites 8, 23, 28, and 60 today and it was not showing up a Peer to any of those sites. I could not get a reliable decode on Site 1 Simulcast during my travels earlier today. Perhaps listeners in the Union County area can plug in the Control Channel 774.60625 and see if they can get a signal from their location(s). I get nothing from the southern Edison area.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
No signal for me in located in CNJ.

Hearing Site 5 at -110 DB Hammonton. This is about 90 miles away with small band opening this AM.

Could be north or very low profile. Ahhh the mystery of 21.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Site 21 is back on the air, and so far is showing as a Peer to Site 7 Simulcast. I checked Sites 8, 23, 28, and 60 today and it was not showing up a Peer to any of those sites. I could not get a reliable decode on Site 1 Simulcast during my travels earlier today. Perhaps listeners in the Union County area can plug in the Control Channel 774.60625 and see if they can get a signal from their location(s). I get nothing from the southern Edison area.

21 is still showing as a Peer to UC Simulcast (Site 7) as of this afternoon, but I'm receiving nothing on the CC in Westfield on the handheld or the base antenna. Let me do some driving around and I'll report what I find, if anything.

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I would highly suggest someone check Newfoudland also to see if the trailer finally made it there since last weekend when I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.