New Jersey Interoperability Communication System (NJICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
My G5 when in vicinity of any site (not a trailer) will be -90 with no antenna. I did not see that. Seeing is believing. I too may try some RDF’ing. Still have a Yagi for that. The longest successful hunt I did was a 70 mile hop, but that was some time ago. This is getting interesting.

Meanwhile I had an RSSI of between -80 and -85 (S1-S2) with no antenna at Bell Labs. Its possible it may have been conditions or I may have been that close and that far off at the same time. Frankly I'm just straight annoyed now...lol. Heading out the door right now.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Band 13/14 would likely drown out any 700 MHz control channel, not enhance it. If you took the antenna off and were still getting a strong signal locked onto a site, then LTE is likely not de-sensing the receiver.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Anyone picking up activity on TG 6101? Sounds like some sort of correctional facility operations in the Paterson (Passaic) area. Talk of sally ports, moving ice and medical supplies around, garbage detail, and one request for Paterson FD all within the past two or three hours.

RID's seen: 1600273 and 1600305, along with numerous in the 1617xxx block

Units heard were "Central" and "650", along with a bunch of last names being used to address personnel over the air.

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Anyone picking up activity on TG 6101? Sounds like some sort of correctional facility operations in the Paterson (Passaic) area. Talk of sally ports, moving ice and medical supplies around, garbage detail, and one request for Paterson FD all within the past two or three hours.

Units heard were "Central" and "650", along with a bunch of last names being used to address personnel over the air.

Passaic County Jail is on Marshall Street in Paterson. As of last week, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe they were still on 460.33750. Sounds like they may have switched.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Passaic County Jail is on Marshall Street in Paterson. As of last week, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe they were still on 460.33750. Sounds like they may have switched.
I did hear them refer to "Marshall Street", so they would seem like a good candidate. Further, those two 1600xxx subscribers are PCSO.

Those of you closer to the area listening to the West Orange cell, keep your ears on it so we can get it added to the RRDB.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Sigh. That makes no sense with the signal received in the upper lots without an antenna or with the RSSI readings driving the area. Every indication is it's on that property. I have an issue believing its up at Circleview based on the increase/fade of the signal around Bell Labs also.

On an unrelated note, they have made huge improvements in removing the abundance of obsolete junk on the Murray Hill tower. Trying to thread a certain stationmaster up through the mess that used to be up there was a nightmare.

Be right back, gone huntin'...
There was so much stuff that was taken down. SAT dish, Air Raid Siren...you name it....

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Here's your ghost @GTR8000 ...

Outstanding @RadioDitch! Seems more permanent than temporary. My .02, LAZY Choice of a site as set up was easy. That site has minimal AAT.

Birds of a feather stick together and they all run together up there.

Mutual aid often goes into Long Hill, Chatham and UP behind that west ridge into the Great Swamp. NJICS has demonstrated poor coverage on portable in SWAMP. This site will not cover the swamp well.

My choice remains the Morris site which looks up and down the “Mountain Valley” and well west into the swamp and more. A much better choice with fabulous AAT. Helllo?

“I am a fan of “backfilling” RF. Take a look. 40.688 -74.465”

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Also based upon the picture, it appears that this STR does not have the fold out mast but instead there is some other mast planted there and they have the feedline running back to the trailer. Interesting. Seems more semi perm and perhaps they will leave that mast there, and replace the trailer with some sort of shelter later on. Or it could be just totally temp and that was the best they could do until a new tower is built...

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Also based upon the picture, it appears that this STR does not have the fold out mast but instead there is some other mast planted there and they have the feedline running back to the trailer. Interesting. Seems more semi perm and perhaps they will leave that mast there, and replace the trailer with some sort of shelter later on. Or it could be just totally temp and that was the best they could do until a new tower is built...

I'll get a better photo today, but from what I saw the mast is mounted to the trailer. This is definitely a temporary deployment for the STR-II, mast included. The question now is where will the permanent site, assuming there will be one, be placed. I agree with @r60 that it is somewhat of an easy-way out place to deploy it, but now seeing the size of the trailer I can understand why they would put it there, in addition to the going around some red tape and headaches by being on publicly owned property of an agency which it is intended to serve.

And that does seem to be a pattern for the STR's so far is that they're only being deployed on publicly owned property. Red Lion NJSP Barracks, Cinnaminson DPW, and now New Providence FD.

I also, in reference to earlier discussions, agree. There's no way they're getting an STR trailer up to Hamburg Mountain. I'm not sure how they would squeeze it back in the narrow space of Echo Lake (Newfoundland) either.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
40.688 -74.465, paste that into google maps. No approvals required. Utility right of way and everything needed is already in place. MIRS has a site already there. My pick hands down. Enabling terrain on maps shows how well 40.688 -74.465 looks into the valley all the way from Long Hill to Summit. It also has a view of the entire Great Swamp. Harding to Madison and Chatham.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
The site, the myth, the legend, the royal pain in the @$$...Strategic Technology Reserve trailer STR-II. Full site on wheels. The tower is trailer mounted and the base is foldable with a hydraulic ram. I imagine the rest gets stacked or stored once removed and the base folded over. Power is coming from the building, but it obviously is generator equipped.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Mountain Valley and New Providence still being carried on the UC Simulcast also in addition to STR-II Site 21.

New Cranford TG 6099, RIDs 2003104, 2003115. Checking it out. Should be CPD 3.

Last edited:

N2NHL

I just heard 6101 come up on Alpine at about 16:40; Very brief, no UID's. Also saw 5139 and 4769 pop up briefly on West Orange. No UI's came up.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
The site, the myth, the legend, the royal pain in the @$$...Strategic Technology Reserve trailer STR-II. Full site on wheels. The tower is trailer mounted and the base is foldable with a hydraulic ram. I imagine the rest gets stacked or stored once removed and the base folded over. Power is coming from the building, but it obviously is generator equipped.

View attachment 87125

View attachment 87126

View attachment 87127

View attachment 87128

View attachment 87129
Nice pix. Its easier to see the mast on the trailer now in daylight. The mast is in sections that fold back and then parks on the roof. Pretty neat design. Got to see if face to face when they did the demo at Burlington Co a few years ago. You can see the hydraulics where it allows it to lower down and then they can fold it up with the hinged pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.