New Jersey Interoperability Communication System (NJICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
State DOT operates exclusively on the NJICS, so you'll want to listen to the DOT South Maintenance talkgroups. The plows generally operate on the various "Crew" talkgroups, or the Seasonal Contractors talkgroup.

And if you're interested in those on the Turnpike, they'd be exclusively on the Turnpike Authority trunked system.

evilgriff

I cannot pick up anything on the NJICS or State Police on my SDS-100. Any ideas what would cause this issue? I tested receive on 800 mhz with success on analog. Any ideas?

markjrenna

What NJICS sites are you using/have loaded? West Orange is very active if you are not out of range.

Tac-1

go into the sites list and check to see if all the control channels are loaded for the area you are in, you can check the the channels in the RR database

what part of the state are you in

ansky

All are loaded. Same with State Police. No reception at all. Local digital works fine.

When scanning the NJICS it is best not to load every site. The problem is that the scanner will waste time scanning sites that are out of range and you will miss transmissions. If you tell us where you are located we can recommend which site(s) to program.

markjrenna

Not sure how much NJSP traffic is on Randolph or Netcong if any. NJSP is patched into NJ ICS. it's not their primary means of communication.

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
Clifton Police Reconsiders to go to NJICS: Update

Reliable sources have confirmed, The City of Clifton is indeed going forward to move their police communications to the NJICS P25 Type II trunk system by the end of the 4Q of 2019.
Transition window is planned to start in the summer months of 2019 and to be completed by the end of the year.
Preliminary plans have PD yielding their 2 VHF Repeater Channels over to the Clifton Fire Dept. That would have Clifton Fire having 4 VHF repeater channels. Perhaps FD will dedicate one or two Channels to EMS Dispatch and operations, however at this point all of this only conjecture and speculation. Time will only tell. "
Keep an ear on this one."

Clifton NJICS UPdate:
:unsure: The pro NJICS forces (Sales Reps etc.) are working overtime with City Government Officials to push this system for ALL public safety communications in the City. The Fire department originally "panned" the system in "their opinion" due to coverage issues. Since the Chief of the Department retired in December of 2018, the interim "younger" Chief and his staff are under pressure and are now reconsidering joining the NJICS. Nothing definite yet......Primary reasons are the cost savings to maintain the current radio system. The city operates 5 VHF repeater systems for Police, Fire and DPW with various voters , microwave links, actual portable, mobile radios and their accessories. The City figures it would be cheaper in the long run purchase new NJICS P25 Type II radio consoles, mobiles and portables and the fees to the state, rather than pay to maintain and keep up to date the current VHF system.
The next few months are going to be interesting to see if the City of Clifton goes hook line and sinker to NJICS! The pressure is ON!
:cautious::rolleyes: Keep listening and watching for those new TGs on the NJICS.

bailly2

i see the frequencies for the trenton site changed. so i entered those into my scanner with ez scan. getting a signal , but no indicator that there is any control channel?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
i see the frequencies for the trenton site changed. so i entered those into my scanner with ez scan. getting a signal , but no indicator that there is any control channel?
There is no indication that the frequencies for the West Trenton Site 36 have changed in years. Where are you getting that idea from?

bailly2

gtr8000, the database. the trenton and bordentown sites used to have the same frequency for the control channel. the database lists different numbers now. I realized this when there was no longer any simulcast distortion with a regular antenna on the bordentown site

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
gtr8000, the database. the trenton and bordentown sites used to have the same frequency for the control channel. the database lists different numbers now. I realized this when there was no longer any simulcast distortion with a regular antenna on the bordentown site
There have been no changes to the West Trenton site going back over two years, and I believe that change was to the site neighbors, not the frequencies.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?tab=reports&ctid=1781&rpt=1

bailly2

gtr8000, the fcc genmen database lists the frequencies for the trenton 700mhz trunked site as 771.04375000 V 771.30625000 V 771.58125000 V 772.03125000 V 772.41875000 V 773.68125000 V 774.70625000 no signal on any of them though from over 10 miles away though, which is strange because the fcc has those frequencies as using an output power of 100, and the input frequencies as having an output power of 30

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
gtr8000, the fcc genmen database lists the frequencies for the trenton 700mhz trunked site as 771.04375000 V 771.30625000 V 771.58125000 V 772.03125000 V 772.41875000 V 773.68125000 V 774.70625000 no signal on any of them though from over 10 miles away though
Oh, I see what you're talking about. You're looking at the FCC database, and seeing WQYN253. It would've been helpful if you had mentioned that from the start. ;)

That license is for a future two-site simulcast for Mercer County; it's not active currently. The only site currently active in Mercer County is the West Trenton site 36, and the frequencies are correct as listed on the NJICS page in the database. There are no conflicting frequencies between the West Trenton site and the Bordentown Simulcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.