New Jersey Interoperability Communication System (NJICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
What's interesting though is I was receiving Site 8 up there clear as day, 5x5, easily S9+15 on a rubber duck portable. That, however, could be also cause there's basically no obstacles towards New Brunswick from that vantage point.
Did you happen to remove the antenna? If 774.79375 were indeed active up there, it should've been strong enough for the HP-2 to pick up even with no antenna attached. :unsure:

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Did you happen to remove the antenna? If 774.79375 were indeed active up there, it should've been strong enough for the HP-2 to pick up even with no antenna attached. :unsure:

Of course :D. It was still about S3-S5 on my portable (not the HP-2). I didn't haul the DF Yagi up or I would have a solid heading for you. IMHO...If it's not on that tower, it's high elevation, close proximity, line of sight.

But again, I'm not stating any absolute conclusions or making any definite statements.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
13.75 miles between the two sites, and although you were at pretty good elevation with clear line of sight, it seems unlikely that you would've received Clothier Hall that strongly with the antenna detached. I think it's reasonable to conclude that Mountainside is indeed an active subsite of Site 8, along with the original Clothier Hall subsite...but I could be wrong. (y)

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
13.75 miles between the two sites, and although you were at pretty good elevation with clear line of sight, it seems unlikely that you would've received Clothier Hall that strongly with the antenna detached. I think it's reasonable to conclude that Mountainside is indeed an active subsite of Site 8, along with the original Clothier Hall subsite...but I could be wrong. (y)

I tend to agree, but I've learned my lessons over the years that it's generally better to collect data/evidence and let all y'all decide.

I will say the smaller parabolic dish is odd for the reason it would have no real use, though I'm not sure of what spectrum it's working if any. I marked it in the photo. And as far as I'm aware, could be wrong, there's no licenses on that tower for a commercial point-to-point link or cellular/microwave back-haul. Take that as you will.

PS: Barely getting Site 8 in Cranford. S1-S2 at best.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I will say the smaller parabolic dish is odd for the reason it would have no real use, though I'm not sure of what spectrum it's working if any. I marked it in the photo. And as far as I'm aware, could be wrong, there's no licenses on that tower for a commercial point-to-point link or cellular/microwave back-haul. Take that as you will.
There are only three microwave licenses up there that I can find, all MW licensed to the state. I see nothing pending and no recent changes to those three licenses.
  • 11 GHz from Mountainside to Essex Co Courthouse
  • 6 GHz from Mountainside to Cranbury Site 31
  • 11 GHz from Mountainside to Union Co Courthouse
  • 11 GHz from Mountainside to Union Co Emergency Management

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
  • 6 GHz from Mountainside to Cranbury Site 31

It's focused in the right heading for that particular use. I forgot there was even a link to 31 in Mountainside.

Site 8 only S1-ish on the mobile in Cranford.

Also, TG4689 Union PD Enc, unknown use, Union County Simulcast
Additional counts on TG4711 Union Township BOE, unknown use.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I made the short 3/4mi round trip walk up the public trail this afternoon to the Mountainside site. The CommScope panel is no longer on the tower (it has been about 9mo since I was last up there), but there is one new parabolic which appears to be in service on the Union County Simulcast based on it's orientation. Also appears UCFMA has a new Stationmaster in service. Attached are photos from the SSE and S/SSW side of the tower. Conclude what you can from them.

What's interesting though is I was receiving Site 8 up there clear as day, 5x5, easily S9+15 on a rubber duck portable. That, however, could be also cause there's basically no obstacles towards New Brunswick from that vantage point.

At RT78 and Glenside Ave the tower is 1/4 - 1/2 mile away and entirely visible. There is zero signal from site 8 down low there. The MSL elevation of terrain in the tower area area is 350-450 and yes line of site to New Brunswick. I too was hill topping site 8 well w a moderate amount of signal fluctuation while on the move. No 8 signal from that site yet. Antenna off no signal. In fact I checked Site 8 today all the way to Hoboken Spotty at best and no other sites along that path.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
At RT78 and Glenside Ave the tower is 1/4 - 1/2 mile away and entirely visible. There is zero signal from site 8 down low there. The MSL elevation of terrain in the tower area area is 350-450 and yes line of site to New Brunswick. I too was hill topping site 8 well w a moderate amount of signal fluctuation while on the move. No 8 signal from that site yet. Antenna off no signal.

I-78 and Glenside would have put you on the backside/blindside assuming it's directional towards New Brunswick, which I imagine it is/will be. However that also completely contradicts what I experienced at the tower site and trailhead. That makes no sense. And I am inclined to agree with GTR8000 based on simple physics that I wouldn't have still received New Brunswick antenna off, line of sight or not.

Something is missing here. But again, that's why I present what I have and let you guys hash it out.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
To be fair, even if the antenna is highly directional, you should still get some signal just 1/2 mile away. Something doesn't quite add up.

EDIT: Oh and that applies to Cranford also. I'm very surprised you're getting such a weak signal on a mobile that close to the site.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
To be fair, even if the antenna is highly directional, you should still get some signal just 1/2 mile away. Something doesn't quite add up.

EDIT: Oh and that applies to Cranford also. I'm very surprised you're getting such a weak signal on a mobile that close to the site.

Welp, nice night for a drive and video...

Edit: There's nights you can't hear Union County in Cranford depending on where you are.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber

GTR, do me a favor and email me? Won’t let me upload video and I lost your address.

W2SJW

Database Admin
I have another friend with inside sources that is expressing some doubt about the location in Mountainside. He is acquainted quite well with my initial source, but has more contacts himself he can inquire with.

He 100% confirms the simulcast status on Site 8, but he's trying to get us a better confirmation on where the actual other towers are.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I have another friend with inside sources that is expressing some doubt about the location in Mountainside. He is acquainted quite well with my initial source, but has more contacts himself he can inquire with.

He 100% confirms the simulcast status on Site 8, but he's trying to get us a better confirmation on where the actual other towers are.
We haven't had this sort of mystery with this system in quite a while...fun times! :LOL:

rr60

Premium Subscriber
As there were questions about my observations at Mountainside I would like to first qualify and then continue. I have two long distance RF bunny hunts over the years both in excess of seventy miles and they were shut down. About a another dozen or so under 25 miles from dirty transmitters to intermod sources and even dirty TV amps and leaky cable systems.

Continuing.

Today I was down to West Long Branch.287/GSP. No Site 8 simulcasting anyplace along that route, at least today. So that eliminates Woodbridge and South Amboy for now. I like the former sites as they look back into the Watchung Mountain Ridgeline. Mountainside and Watchung create huge RF shadows. They even attenuate the NWS weather radar. The two towers in Sayerville along the Parkway sure look sweet too.

GM

Premium Subscriber
If the State is looking for a good place to put another Site 8 antenna, it would be at the State Police Barracks in Edison along Woodbridge Ave. across the street from Middlesex County College. There is already a tower in place from the low band days, and it would be a great spot to provide coverage.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber

I am waiting to get the new map showing all the locations that consist of site 8 simulcast. Its expected to have 2 or 3 sites within the cell. More to follow. But Rutgers did require expansion of their coverage area.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Little different activity on Site 8 today. NJSP, NJDOC and MONOC are all allowed on the site again. JFK EMS, NJDOT and Somerset County still getting denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.