New Jersey Interoperability Communication System (NJICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2NHL

Mountain Valley and New Providence still being carried on the UC Simulcast also in addition to STR-II Site 21.

New Cranford TG 6099, RIDs 2003104, 2003115. Checking it out. Should be CPD 3.

Amazing what an antenna can do. I just put up a discone on a magnet mount on an A/C sleeve outside my apartment windows. Now, I am able to hear Alpine, Union County Simulcast, and Rockland County PS.

I just heard Mountain Valley and New Providence come in on UC Simulcast. I haven't heard those in a while, when those radios affiliated with West Orange - and that was sporadic.

I am located right off Route 21 (exit 7) by the Arlington Diner, for frame of reference.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Vicinity of Union County. Been slow to find which one of my radio’s is compatible w UT.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
It has been a while since I last did this. If anyone is running Unitrunker on any site other than Hunterdon, New Brunswick or Telegraph Hill, I would appreciate if you share your Unitrunker.xml with me so I can update my master ID list.

Reminder, my lists can be found here:

Running UT 2.1 Preview 28 on Union County and Site 21. There's not too much data in it since it's a fresh install on a new computer, but it should be of some use to you @nosoup4u.

Vicinity of Union County. Been slow to find which one of my radio’s is compatible w UT.

That depends on which version of UT you're running. UT 2.1 is designed to work basically exclusively with SDR's. The legacy versions will work with any Uniden scanner which is capable of CC data output (CC Out). Which is basically the BC346XT, BCD345P2, BCD396XT, BCT15X, BCD996XT, and BCD996P2.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
That depends on which version of UT you're running. UT 2.1 is designed to work basically exclusively with SDR's. The legacy versions will work with any Uniden scanner which is capable of CC data output (CC Out). Which is basically the BC346XT, BCD345P2, BCD396XT, BCT15X, BCD996XT, and BCD996P2.

Like 21’s current location I have been lazy. Thanks for intel @RadioDitch. Dug my RTL out of basement. Going to get 2.1 downloaded and see if I can get it going on NJICS.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Like 21’s current location I have been lazy. Thanks for intel @RadioDitch. Dug my RTL out of basement. Going to get 2.1 downloaded and see if I can get it going on NJICS.

If you have any issues getting UT 2.1 Preview 28, for which you need to join the Google Group to acquire it, to recognize the RTL let me know. I had the same issue and the fix is pretty simple. Just have to install the drivers with a couple different selections with Zadig than normal. It won't accept it as a normal Bulk-In Interface Device 0.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
The new UT is really nice, however for whatever reason, they changed the sorting so for example if you change to sort by TGID, you lose the spot that you have highlighted. For that reason alone I am stuck on 1.x

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
The new UT is really nice, however for whatever reason, they changed the sorting so for example if you change to sort by TGID, you lose the spot that you have highlighted. For that reason alone I am stuck on 1.x

It's a work in progress, but they've made amazing progress. They just fixed the limit on peers with the new Preview. If you throw that out in the group that it's an issue, you may have already, I'm sure they'll address it. I know he's working on the whole thing solo and has a day job, but he's doing amazing work. And rather quickly all things considered.

Also @nosoup4u I'll leave Unitrunker running on Union County Simulcast all day today and put the updated XML file in my Google Drive tonight. Should yield some more productive data for you. And I won't forget to add you this time. :ROFLMAO:

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone provide an update on Site 37 by the way? Is STR-I still active in Cinniminson? If not, it might be time to start watching for it in the Sussex/Passaic area, even if not at the licensed sites.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Note that Site 37 is no longer in wide area mode; whether or not it is still physically at the Cinniminson DPW remains to be seen.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
@RadioDitch provided great photos of lazy Site 21. Anyone know how the STR connects to the core. I did not see a MW dish on the mast.

Memory was tickled. I have seen the STR at the Atlantic City Airshow and it was also providing the CP and surrounding area their own WiFi hotspot.

Site 6 Cape May CC 773.30625 hot again here this AM, -90db.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
There are a few ways backhaul could be provided to the STR. Not sure which one they are currently using but besides microwave they may be using a VPN tunnel over open internet or a Verizon or Comcast EPL circuit. Lastly, and not the most effective, they could also use LTE (cell modem) to get the data back.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
There are a few ways backhaul could be provided to the STR. Not sure which one they are currently using but besides microwave they may be using a VPN tunnel over open internet or a Verizon or Comcast EPL circuit. Lastly, and not the most effective, they could also use LTE (cell modem) to get the data back.

There's reasonable suspicion to suspect they are using a VPN tunnel through the spare circuit of NPFD's Xfinity gigabit internet service. No evidence though since I couldn't see if there was an ethernet cable in the power bundle.

Here is what I am seeing off the Berlin site.

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately with it no longer in wide mode as GTR noted, the peer list isn't a real indicator. I didn't remember until the other day, but didn't Site 21 remain in the peer list for a couple sites after it was off the air and removed from Chatsworth? I seem to remember the same for Pluckemin.

@GM if you're in the area at all, can you maybe roll through Walmart again with UT or the handheld? I gotta believe that if it's still there, it won't be for long with the permanent site on the air.

I was thinking about it this morning driving also. What do you think the chances are that Site 99 is actually STR-III? Just a random thought.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
What do you think the chances are that Site 99 is actually STR-III? Just a random thought.
"Site 99" is not the actual site #, just a placeholder for what might be a more readily deployable SOW (Site on Wheels) using the remaining frequencies on the WQQS714 license. I'm not even sure that there's any evidence that a third trailer exists, so by all rights the site entry should probably be in the wiki, not the RRDB.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
A word of caution to those of you using Unitrunker 2.1: Rick put a "Too Many Peers" check in place due to a bug that occasionally pops up where the program freaks out and incorrectly reports a ton of nonsense peers. Unfortunately the way the check works is to artificially cap the amount of peers per site at 9, which means that you may not be seeing all peers for a particular site if there are 9 or more peers.

Last night I was sitting on the Hunterdon (11 peers) and Bordentown (14 peers) cells, and various sites were not showing up due to this restriction. I had to switch over to DSD+ to get the full peer list for each cell (listed below).
This was fixed in the latest release 2.1.0.28, and Unitrunker will now report up to 15 peers, which is the ASTRO 25 maximum. Note that this bug was specific to a few more recent versions of 2.1, and does not affect v1 or even v2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.