New Jersey Interoperability Communication System (NJICS)

FT752

Anyone knows what the current frequencies for Rutgers buses would be operating on or is it part of the state's NJICS?
The Rutgers buses do not operate on NJICS. They are NFM on frequencies licensed to First Transit, ref: WRUS696.

I have no clue how the DOTS TG gets used because the bus radios are far from P25 capable, and I have yet to see a representative from RUDOT on the move.

Solidjake

Sorry to ask here, but if I were to "scan" (I know I know) the sites while on the turnpike from the Lincoln Tunnel to the very south (along with I295) would this work? Keeping the sites listed below and removing the sites listed after that? I would assume that would allow the scanner to only scan those sites that overlay the turnpike/295 or very close to it and not have to scan sites that don't come close. I did look at the sites that I wouldn't need and if they had frequencies that are listed on the sites I need (control or not) I would retain those frequencies.

Good in theory or should I do something else?

Leave:
west orange | hunterdon | bordentown | union city | new brunswick | alpine | cinnaminson | passaic | str II | monmouth | meadowlands | martinsville | penn station | cranbury | west trenton | str I | berlin

Remove: (retain frequencies in parenthesis)
hammonton (769.19375 774.04375c 774.56875c) | cumberland | cape may (773.30625c) | freehold | neptune (770.16875) | delaware water gap (769.44375c 769.95625c 774.04375) | portland (770.43125 770.93125c) | high point (769.69375c 769.94375c 770.70625c) | walpack (770.21875c 770.71875c) | washington (774.05625) | delaware water gap (770.18125 774.06875c) | stockton (769.94375c) | burlington/ocean (769.16875 769.41875) | atlantic city | morris county (769.93125 770.16875 773.33125c 773.78125c 774.53125) | pluckemin | hamburg mtn (770.19375 770.94375 773.80625c) | ACY

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Put that list on a diet. Less will be more. Try using only the Simulcast sites that are in the DB. DB is very clear on which they are.

I would duplicate the system and then delete sites. Scan only one of the systems at a time.

System 1 GWB to Exit 10
System 2 Exit 10 to DMB.

Don’t forget P25 System used by maintenance.

Solidjake

@GTR8000 @rr60 Am I missing a site? Either I'm tired as hell from four hours of sleep each night the past three nights or I'm blind. I had some free time at work to overlay the sites that would be needed for the Turnpike and see a gap between Bordentown and Berlin. Cinnaminson will help a bit but I assume there are no other sites to help in that area, correct?

I have it programmed to Berlin, Bordentown, Hunterdon, Monmouth, West Orange, Cranbury and Union right now. (forgot to program in New Brunswick yesterday) Should I add Cinnaminson and Meadowlands?

Attachments

• NJICS I95 Site Map.png
    NJICS I95 Site Map.png
    585.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

rr60

Premium Subscriber
There is no one that can give you an exact answer. You must determine what works best for you (especially given your setup). On paper is a good start. In in the field is the next step. It looks like you’re getting closer.

As said previously, focus on NJICS simulcast sites, at least at first. A quick look your passage indicates Site 8 is missing. You WILL need that. Keep at it. I believe you can likely delete Monmouth for TPK while on TPK.

“Berlin, Bordentown, Hunterdon, Monmouth, West Orange, Cranbury and Union right now”

Ps avoid high squelch settings. I don’t really have much more to offer. Good luck.

GM

Premium Subscriber
In my travels earlier this month, I believe that Site 15 - Cinnaminson was off the air. In the past, I would get a solid Control Channel while in the South Jersey area where coverage was supposed to be. I even drove to the tower back when the site was put on the air, but now I get nothing when I scan those control channels. Perhaps Site 15 was incorporated into the Berlin Simulcast?

Solidjake

In my travels earlier this month, I believe that Site 15 - Cinnaminson was off the air. In the past, I would get a solid Control Channel while in the South Jersey area where coverage was supposed to be. I even drove to the tower back when the site was put on the air, but now I get nothing when I scan those control channels. Perhaps Site 15 was incorporated into the Berlin Simulcast?

Good to know if that is what has happened. I will pop in 15 today and see if it picks it up tomorrow morning

philacop

Premium Subscriber
Ditto on site 15 Cinaminson
Control channel has be off a least a few weeks !
On my DSD plus was showing it on Berlin site as neighbor but was in RED

howie38

Premium Subscriber
I just updated my Sentinel for the436HP.
For NJICS section SP (Berlin) it lists freq in 769. - 773. range.
But if I go to the 'State Police' section it lists Troop C in the 856. - 860. freq range.

Last edited:

Solidjake

I just updated my Sentinel for the436HP.
For NJICS section SP (Berlin) it lists freq in 769. - 773. range.
But if I go to the 'State Police' section it lists Troop C in the 856. - 860. freq range.

From here?

NJSP is/has transitioned all of their communications to NJICS so go with that. I used to scan only the frequencies/TGIDs on the link I posted and I was told the same so I changed my programming. Zero issues after.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
There is no one that can give you an exact answer. You must determine what works best for you (especially given your setup). On paper is a good start. In in the field is the next step. It looks like you’re getting closer.

As said previously, focus on NJICS simulcast sites, at least at first. A quick look your passage indicates Site 8 is missing. You WILL need that. Keep at it. I believe you can likely delete Monmouth for TPK while on TPK.

“Berlin, Bordentown, Hunterdon, Monmouth, West Orange, Cranbury and Union right now”

Ps avoid high squelch settings. I don’t really have much more to offer. Good luck.
You are not crazy. There are no other sites between the Berlin and Bordentown simulcast. I would be curious if they make Cinnaminson part of Berlin Simulcast. Otherwise along the NJTP Bordentown carries you to about Exit 5 and then Berlin comes in strong south of there. I used travel that everyday from Exit 6 to 4 using a Unication pager locked on turnpike south patrol. I had Bordentown and Berlin CCs programmed on the knob and the handoff was pretty smooth in the transition area where i would lose Bordentown, but occasionally it would hang on to Bordentown too long and i would get a garbled transmission. Really the nearest tower of the Berlin Simulcast is Camden which really isn't that far from Mount Laurel, but I often wondered how good it does in the heavily wooded areas on the side of the turnpike/295 on a portable.

howie38

Premium Subscriber
You are not crazy. There are no other sites between the Berlin and Bordentown simulcast. I would be curious if they make Cinnaminson part of Berlin Simulcast. Otherwise along the NJTP Bordentown carries you to about Exit 5 and then Berlin comes in strong south of there. I used travel that everyday from Exit 6 to 4 using a Unication pager locked on turnpike south patrol. I had Bordentown and Berlin CCs programmed on the knob and the handoff was pretty smooth in the transition area where i would lose Bordentown, but occasionally it would hang on to Bordentown too long and i would get a garbled transmission. Really the nearest tower of the Berlin Simulcast is Camden which really isn't that far from Mount Laurel, but I often wondered how good it does in the heavily wooded areas on the side of the turnpike/295 on a portable.
I'm using Berlin all the way over here in Pemberton using a little mobile antenna in the front window.

Pyro658

Communications Dispatcher
So have been monitoring the now Monmouth simulcast site 22 since going digital and have been able to monitor all troop A B and C state police troop patrols. I did notice however, I am not getting the North Med Evac channel. I just entered the West Orange site on another radio today to see if that changes anything. The north life flights are on the digital system now aren't they? I was under the impression the old 800mhz system is completely depreciated now.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The 800 SmartZone system is still alive, albeit carrying very limited traffic. The medevac talkgroups are still active on the old system, and while they have also been carried on the P25 system for years now, the old "no traffic without an affiliation" applies here. Could just be that no one on the Monmouth cell is affiliated with the talkgroup, and so you're not going to hear any activity.

motti1219

Well....NJICS is the trunking system, so we need to know what actual talkgroup you are looking for. I take it you want to listen to GSP. If you are using the Whistler app to program the radio, you would want to make sure you have the scan group established and inside a scanset. Then add in the NJICS to whatever scangroup you created and then scan away. This will give you scanning of everything. But you do need to keep in mind that with the 1080, it will not scan all the sites (or cells) and it will lock onto the strongest frequency it hears in the trunking list. The 1080 was built more around simulcasting rather than multi-site (The SDS series does do multi-site). So if you do happen to lock onto the Monmouth Cell (also called the Holmdel or Telegraph Hill cell) you should hear more GSP conversations. But if you lock on something like the Bordentown cell, you may not get as much GSP transmissions since thats further away from the toll road and chances are GSP vehicles may not be going out in that part of the state.
lol, squelch was to high and signal was not coming through, though there is some distortion.
Right now I am getting GSP police from exits 125 to 139.
have to see what sites work for the lower exits and what sites work the higher ones.