New Jersey Interoperability Communication System (NJICS)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Hmm, so slightly stronger signal nearer to the water tank/tower. Perhaps the site is already up there as I have mapped out.

Edit: Confirmed...Site 60 has been at the water tank site for ~5 years

Last edited:

motti1219

As a side note I am getting that little T but only for a second, so I think I am scanning properly but its just not receiving

CastorLB

Premium Subscriber
Wall is off air and has transitioned over to Site 22 joining with Telegraph Hill and Long Branch. My guess is Neptune and Freehold will join in once they’re moved to their new spots.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Simulcast distortion issues aside, it'll be nice for you guys in these areas where ASR's are getting combined into a simulcast cell. No more having to figure out which sites to monitor, and a wide area cell carries more traffic.

lynchy135

Feed Provider
Simulcast distortion issues aside, it'll be nice for you guys in these areas where ASR's are getting combined into a simulcast cell. No more having to figure out which sites to monitor, and a wide area cell carries more traffic.
I am hoping that the changes in Morris and Monmouth may indicate what's to come with Pluckemin and Martinsville, but not holding my breath.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I am hoping that the changes in Morris and Monmouth may indicate what's to come with Pluckemin and Martinsville, but not holding my breath.
I've not heard anything regarding those two sites, however keep an eye on the Cranbury ASR and the Princeton subsite (Hunterdon cell).

rr60

Premium Subscriber
It is almost like a boat load of funding washed up on West Trenton’s doorstep for the NJICS.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
A lot of it is related to the recent core upgrade. The original core was quite old relative to what's out there now, and that hamstrung much of what the state was able to accomplish.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
I need to look at my KMZ file but I think Cranbury will become part of the Bordentown simulcast joining Millstone Bordentown and Princeton

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
How do I assign a talkgroup to a trunking system site on the ws 1080?

In this case the talkgroup would be NJICS.

Just want to make sure I did this properly as I am still not getting any p25 signal in the GSP troop D
Well....NJICS is the trunking system, so we need to know what actual talkgroup you are looking for. I take it you want to listen to GSP. If you are using the Whistler app to program the radio, you would want to make sure you have the scan group established and inside a scanset. Then add in the NJICS to whatever scangroup you created and then scan away. This will give you scanning of everything. But you do need to keep in mind that with the 1080, it will not scan all the sites (or cells) and it will lock onto the strongest frequency it hears in the trunking list. The 1080 was built more around simulcasting rather than multi-site (The SDS series does do multi-site). So if you do happen to lock onto the Monmouth Cell (also called the Holmdel or Telegraph Hill cell) you should hear more GSP conversations. But if you lock on something like the Bordentown cell, you may not get as much GSP transmissions since thats further away from the toll road and chances are GSP vehicles may not be going out in that part of the state.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
How do I assign a talkgroup to a trunking system site on the ws 1080?
In this case the talkgroup would be NJICS.
Just want to make sure I did this properly as I am still not getting any p25 signal in the GSP troop D
Sounds like a classic example of simulcast distortion to me. You can try the mitigation methods suggested in the linked wiki although I'd strongly recommend a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 if this is a system you intend on monitoring regularly

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I don't think the WS1080 is going bring you joy with this system. My TRX-2 is terrible. It only works sitting on shelf at home where I'm close enough to a transmitter site that the scanner doesn't get distorted from simulcast. Put it in the car, forget it, useless. I went back and forth with an engineer at whistler trying all kinds of stuff to make it work, no joy to had. Borrowing and SDS100 from a friend was enlightening, so much so that I bought it from him. You need the right tool for the job and the whistler scanners are not the right tool.

bunangst

I thought Princeton was part of the Hunterdon simulcast.

Princeton is currently a subsite of the Hunterdon cell, but as GTR8000 mention above, some subsites are being modified now that the new core is online.

Long story short...the new core is allowing the system engineers to optimize the system layout while taking into account the 800 MHz channels that are being decommissioned from the NJSP system.

It's a big continuously moving target :)

krtz07

Feed Provider
Anyone knows what the current frequencies for Rutgers buses would be operating on or is it part of the state's NJICS?

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
Princeton is currently a subsite of the Hunterdon cell, but as GTR8000 mention above, some subsites are being modified now that the new core is online.

Long story short...the new core is allowing the system engineers to optimize the system layout while taking into account the 800 MHz channels that are being decommissioned from the NJSP system.

It's a big continuously moving target :)
The times they are a changin!

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Back to January, this is now making more sense. The new core (M)? gets past the 10 limitation. This must be why we are seeing Simulcast site numbers beyond previous limitation.

I now count (using RR database) 13 simulcast sites presently. It appears to match the below passage.

The following is an excerpt from a FCC filing for slow growth of the NJICS from the fall of 2022. Quite a few changes are occurring or yet to occur. The below implies several more Simulcast Sites are to be built or expanded (10 Simulcast presently) and perhaps a consolidation or expansion of ASR’s.

“NJICS is necessarily complex and will comprise 13 Simulcast Cells and 12 Independent Sites, for total of 80 site locations upon completion of this expansion. Further, the State is consolidating its older 800 MHz P25 Phase I system into its newer 700 MHz P25 Phase II system, including a major system-wide core and software upgrade. The upgrade involves dozens of agencies and Dispatch Centers. Once the upgrade is completed, the State will begin implementing the many site changes and additions licensed in late 2021.”