Status
Not open for further replies.

gteye

I have had a Radio Shack Pro-106 for about a year and have not had the patience to program it. Does anyone know someone in New Jersey that will program a scanner for a fee? I don't mind paying if they know how to do it. Thanks for any advice.

Highpockets

I have had a Radio Shack Pro-106 for about a year and have not had the patience to program it. Does anyone know someone in New Jersey that will program a scanner for a fee? I don't mind paying if they know how to do it. Thanks for any advice.

Do you have the programming cable, if so, if you get one of the software packages like the one here:

Win500: PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, PRO-197, PSR-310, PSR-410 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control

Someone who lives near you can attach their file to a message or I'd try to set something up for you, if you tell me what you want to monitor.

Also if you want to give it a try yourself with that software, here is a Guide that will help with the software.

WIN500 - UtahRadio

gteye

Ok, I'll try it. I will have to get a cable though. I guess I can order that from Radio Shack?
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It would be far more cost effective to get the software, cable, and a subscription to Radioreference than to send it off or have someone local to you program it. Programming any of these scanners by hand is a pain in the butt for most people, but using software makes it easy.

Once you get used to the software and programming the scanner, you'll find it easy AND you'll be able to make changes to your programming as you use the scanner more.

Take your time learning to program the scanner, there is a bit of a learning curve with any software, but if you can get on to RR and post in the forums, there is no reason that you can't learn to use software and program it yourself.

There is plenty of help to be had in the software forum and lots of sticky threads you can read to answer some of your questions.

Good luck, have fun!

Highpockets

thanks so much, I will give it a try

PM me your email address, I have a file for Morris County, if you install Win500 you can fool with it (30 day free trial)(don't wait to long to get cable). Then when you get the cable you'll have something already to upload to your scanner, after you edit, add to the file to make it your own.

I'm using v2.04 of Win500.

And have any further questions ready to ask. :)

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Highpockets (Steve) gave me a good deal of help when I was [still] on the learning curve. He and garys are spot on. Don't send the scanner off and be held hostage to any desired or needed changes. I got the cable (and 106) at a local RS outlet. Some thoughts, FWIW.

1. Since your 106 is a year old, if you haven't done so, upgrade your scanner's firmware to take care of any rebanding issues in your area.

2. Unfortunately Win500 does not have a users manual, but between the Utah Radio site and the Q&A in forums I've found the answers to almost all questions I had. Remember to use the Wiki as well. I bypassed trunking scanner technology, jumping from the conventional -2041 to the -106. For me, I have to admit that it took double-digit hours (30?) while comparing Win500 with other software offerings and getting reasonably comfortable with Win500. I still can't wrap my head around object oriented programming <grin>.

3. I make backups using a date and (if the same day) incremental version numbers. The files are always in order. Before making adds/edits/changes I use the "File Save As" to bump the name of the current file. Examples:

2011-11-03_w2xq_v1
2011-11-03_w2xq_v2
2011-11-03_w2xq_v3 ... three edits on Nov 3
2011-11-04_w2xq_v1 ... one edit on Nov 4

As I do a "File Save As" before making adds/edits/changes I also change the text on Line 4 of the "Welcome Text" (General Settings tab). The current line 4 reads "2011-11-04 v1"; it reminds me of what file has been last uploaded to the scanner.

If making a special occasional-use file I'll adjust the file name. The file for the Denver, CO, area was last worked on:

2011-09-09_CO_v1

4. The Utah Radio pages have some suggestions for tweaking general scanning and searching values. I opted to make an empty master file with the Utah suggestions already applied (in case the scanner required a total reset). I named it "w2xq_master_rssi_zeromatic_wx_2011-10-16_v1".

5. I opted not to attempt to program everything I wanted at the first few sessions. I played around with one or two groups (i.e., NJSP, Burlington County, learned how to reorder and renumber objects, and copy/paste between files. The experimentation also helped me to decide how I wanted to set up the Scan Lists (General tab).

6. Figuring out the copy/paste between files helps me make up new files or update current ones. For example, I have one just with railroad frequencies (w2xq_rr_2011-09-10_v1), another with just remote broadcast frequencies (w2xq_remote_bc_2011-10-11_v1). Each single file being just one type of frequencies, it's easy to update from the RR databases.

Hope these may give you some ideas. What works for me won't necessarily work for you, but maybe...

w2xq

Mentor
Highpockets (Steve) gave me a good deal of help when I was [still] on the learning curve. He and garys are spot on. Don't send the scanner off and be held hostage to any desired or needed changes. I got the cable (and 106) at a local RS outlet. Some thoughts, FWIW.

1. Since your 106 is a year old, if you haven't done so, upgrade your scanner's firmware to take care of any rebanding issues in your area.

2. Unfortunately Win500 does not have a users manual, but between the Utah Radio site and the Q&A in forums I've found the answers to almost all questions I had. Remember to use the Wiki as well. I bypassed trunking scanner technology, jumping from the conventional -2041 to the -106. For me, I have to admit that it took double-digit hours (30?) while comparing Win500 with other software offerings and getting reasonably comfortable with Win500. I still can't wrap my head around object oriented programming <grin>.

3. I make backups using a date and (if the same day) incremental version numbers. The files are always in order. Before making adds/edits/changes I use the "File Save As" to bump the name of the current file. Examples:

2011-11-03_w2xq_v1
2011-11-03_w2xq_v2
2011-11-03_w2xq_v3 ... three edits on Nov 3
2011-11-04_w2xq_v1 ... one edit on Nov 4

As I do a "File Save As" before making adds/edits/changes I also change the text on Line 4 of the "Welcome Text" (General Settings tab). The current line 4 reads "2011-11-04 v1"; it reminds me of what file has been last uploaded to the scanner.

If making a special occasional-use file I'll adjust the file name. The file for the Denver, CO, area was last worked on:

2011-09-09_CO_v1

4. The Utah Radio pages have some suggestions for tweaking general scanning and searching values. I opted to make an empty master file with the Utah suggestions already applied (in case the scanner required a total reset). I named it "w2xq_master_rssi_zeromatic_wx_2011-10-16_v1".

5. I opted not to attempt to program everything I wanted at the first few sessions. I played around with one or two groups (i.e., NJSP, Burlington County, learned how to reorder and renumber objects, and copy/paste between files. The experimentation also helped me to decide how I wanted to set up the Scan Lists (General tab).

6. Figuring out the copy/paste between files helps me make up new files or update current ones. For example, I have one just with railroad frequencies (w2xq_rr_2011-09-10_v1), another with just remote broadcast frequencies (w2xq_remote_bc_2011-10-11_v1). Each single file being just one type of frequencies, it's easy to update from the RR databases.

Hope these may give you some ideas. What works for me won't necessarily work for you, but maybe...

AC2OY

Steve(Highpockets) is the best!!!! He programed my scanner 10 times over if he would come up thenparkwaynor turnpike I would buy him a steak dinner!!! I have a few files he created for me I hear everything I think in all of New Jersey!! If you live near me I'll let you borrow my Radio Shack cable!!!

JERSEYHAWG

Premium Subscriber
I have been having one heck of a hard time trying to program my bcd396xt. I bought the cable, became a premium meber for the freescan database info and still cant get my scanner up and running. Dont know what the heck i am doing, yet. If push comes to shove I would not mind sending it out to be programmed. Any suggestions where the best place to send it is appreciated. I will try it a few more times, but frankly cant get the jist of it. And btw,,,THANK YOU TO ALL VETERANS ON THIS DAY.

GLENN

Last edited:

Highpockets

I have been having one heck of a hard time trying to program my bc396xt. I bought the cable, became a premium meber for the freescan database info and still cant get my scanner up and running. Dont know what the heck i am doing, yet. If push comes to shove I would not mind sending it out to be programmed. Any suggestions where the best place to send it is appreciated. I will try it a few more times, but frankly cant get the jist of it. And btw,,,THANK YOU TO ALL VETERANS ON THIS DAY.

GLENN

What part of NJ are you in? Maybe I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.