New Jersey Railroads Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Really not trying to be a jerk here, but...

Is the New Jersey Railroads update complete? Looking at it I see typos/punctuation/grammar errors, incorrect descriptions/remarks/route names, inconsistent milepost formats. But I'm especially concerned that frequencies for territories are being listed under railroads that do not own or control said territories. I typed out notes on it and it literally came out to a page and a half single spaced in 9pt font. I want to submit corrections, but being very railroad literate, I honestly feel like it would almost have to be on the phone to get it all right.

Last edited:

slapshot0017

Just submit it. If people really want to listen to the railroads they will learn the terminology. Its like police, fire and ems, you don't just wake up one day turn on the scanner and know every 10 code or location in a town. We need a comprehensive database not some spoon fed nonsense.

mikea7531

Feed Provider
I get the impression that the people responsible for some of the edits in the databases for railroads are just not familiar enough with railroads. NJ isn't the only one with issues on their railroad databases, I've noticed other states as well that are a bit messy. The database admins usually do a good job, but railroads are a little lacking.

I also wish there was a bit of a standard when putting together a DB entry for railroads. For instance, the following info should be listed, AAR channel #, Line, control points the channel is valid (maybe put in parentheses the towns for the laymen), dispatcher, usage, etc. I have found too many entries throughout the entire database missing one of those bits of info.

When it comes to railroad radio info, I don't rely on radioreference at all, I usually try to pull my info from an employee timetable first, then one of the numerous railfan dedicated websites/guides out there.

Last edited:

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
When it comes to railroad radio info, I don't rely on radioreference at all, I usually try to pull my info from an employee timetable first, then one of the numerous railfan dedicated websites/guides out there.

You know me Mike, I don't either. But as a point of pride, we can do better. Especially against that many simple typos.

Status
Not open for further replies.