New Jersey State Police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
For all my south jersey listeners, what would be a good antenna to use on my psr 500 to monitor this system? I am mobile and change vehicles daily so I need something portable. I have asked for tips to tweak my radio in the past and was offered no help. Maybe a good antenna will help improve my reception. I have both A&C in seperate scanlist and have the unit set to multi site. I use the win 500 software to program my unit. I also have the radio shack rubber duck 800mhz antenna in use and helps a little over the stock antenna. I want to say thank you in advance for all tips.

robbinsj2

Go to a two-way radio shop and get a magnet-mount 800MHz antenna meant for two-way radios. You can then decide whether to put the antenna on the roof and run the cable out a door or to put the antenna on the rear deck, dashboard, or somewhere similar.

I currently scan mostly UHF when mobile, and used to scan VHF-Hi, and found the purchase of "professional" antennas for those bands to be easy and well worth the money.

Jim

Danny6569

state police

either use a magnet mount, or use that radio shack 800 mhz antenna that one works great, and to help with it go into scannermaster.com and get youreself a pre amp for a handheld and then snap that radio shack antenna on it and you should be good to go!

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I use the rat shack 800MHz antenna on a 396T and it receives the system very well for a portable. Inside a car its gona be spotty but for the most part you should have a decent signal. That's about what I get with the portable. Like the others have mentioned an external antenna will bring much joy.

Absolute bump for the RS-GRE 800 MHz ant,great for the 800bands,i get lots of NJSP
traffic here in west philly,not far from SEPTA 52nd st sta.All of center city between me n the NJSP..lol..

good Luck!

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
Well for some odd reason I get really crappy signal with my PSR 500 with any antenna in south jersey(travel all over). Once I move above exit 8 on the NJ Turnpike all is well. Who knows maybe it is just there system or my radio needs some tweaking in the expert settings. I dare not touch that unless I get some coaching on this.

Danny6569

state police

They dont come in to great everywheres you go, i hear them the best when im either near bordentown or in berlin, of course they have 2 towers there so thats whats helping reception, i live in delran and they are real hard to get here,and also my surrounding areas here like palmyra and the cinnaminson area, if i drive up to rt 130 and drive around in delran i can pick them up a lot better, but around my house area i only get 1 signal bar on them here, it just all depends on where you are they have a weak system and its been like that for years in certain spots!

Status
Not open for further replies.