NEW Kenwood Amateur radios announced for Dayton

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPSan

Kenwood has announced 2 new radios in time for Dayton Hamvention coming up soon.

HF/50MHz All-Mode Transceiver - TS-590S (tentative naming)

Featuring a 32-bit floating-point DSP, the TS-590S will offer advanced receiver performance and an extensive range of features that make it ideal for beginner and seasoned DX’er alike. The radio’s exceptional ease of operation, true to the Kenwood tradition, will be especially welcome for contest and mobile applications.

144/430MHz Dual Band FM Portable - TH-D72 (tentative naming)

The APRS® capability found on Kenwood’s TH-D7* and TM-D710 has been upgraded for the TH-D72. Thanks also to the internal GPS unit, APRS operations will be more enjoyable than ever. The TH-D72 also offers EchoLink® memory compatibility and a mini-USB connector for enhanced computer connectivity. This transceiver is sure to make ham radio operations easier and more fun for all.

May 7, 2010 | News Release | Corporate Information | Kenwood Corporation

SCPD

QRT
Wow! You mean a radio manufacturer is actually still making new Ham radios? If you read the posts by Va3hub you'd think that Ham radio is going the way of CB radio, and that all of the existing Ham operators are dying off. What fools, those Kenwood people, for thinking there's anyone out there who would still want to purchase their products. What audacity!

Dave
KA6TJF

JPSan

Not to get off on a rant, but as long as I been a licensed amateur since the very early 1970's era, there have always been these types of doom and gloom ranters.
I heard the complainers about SSB when it made its debut and how AM will always rule the airwaves, how the hobby was DOOMED because of SSB.
I heard the same crap when FM and REPEATERS became the in THING. I and a couple of friends showed up at club meetings with Motorola HT-220's and were USING a REPEATER and a LOT of old timers called us GLORIFIED CB'ers and would never use FM, let alone a REPEATER!! Satellites, oh my. Times have changed, technology changed. grow with or leave.
Heard the same crap about PACKET, then DIGITAL modes and now D-STAR is the evil, P-25 evil, EchoLink and all that internet stuff EVIL, etc.
And some losers will decree AGAIN the HOBBY is dying...Trust me I heard this same nonsense about the death of amateur radio more times than I can recall...IT'S STILL ALIVE and KICKING...Naysayers of the hobby are losers and can't see the forest for the trees...THEY love to create there NONSENSE..JUST I G N O R E theses types...they will fade away into the slime they are trying to create...IGNORE losers..Enjoy what you enjoy about the hobby and the BETTER people that make it fun, useful and a LIFE SAVER in many recent worldwide situations...All others, ain't worth RESPONDING to, AT ALL. Amateur Radio is HERE to stay and IT will carry on with or without.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Not to get off on a rant, but as long as I been a licensed amateur since the very early 1970's era, there have always been these types of doom and gloom ranters.
I heard the complainers about SSB when it made its debut and how AM will always rule the airwaves, how the hobby was DOOMED because of SSB.
I heard the same crap when FM and REPEATERS became the in THING. I and a couple of friends showed up at club meetings with Motorola HT-220's and were USING a REPEATER and a LOT of old timers called us GLORIFIED CB'ers and would never use FM, let alone a REPEATER!! Satellites, oh my. Times have changed, technology changed. grow with or leave.
Heard the same crap about PACKET, then DIGITAL modes and now D-STAR is the evil, P-25 evil, EchoLink and all that internet stuff EVIL, etc.
And some losers will decree AGAIN the HOBBY is dying...Trust me I heard this same nonsense about the death of amateur radio more times than I can recall...IT'S STILL ALIVE and KICKING...Naysayers of the hobby are losers and can't see the forest for the trees...THEY love to create there NONSENSE..JUST I G N O R E theses types...they will fade away into the slime they are trying to create...IGNORE losers..Enjoy what you enjoy about the hobby and the BETTER people that make it fun, useful and a LIFE SAVER in many recent worldwide situations...All others, ain't worth RESPONDING to, AT ALL. Amateur Radio is HERE to stay and IT will carry on with or without.
It seems that some don't see the sarcasm for the trees in the forest:roll:
Larry

fyrfyter33

Kenwood has announced 2 new radios in time for Dayton Hamvention coming up soon.

HF/50MHz All-Mode Transceiver - TS-590S (tentative naming)

Featuring a 32-bit floating-point DSP, the TS-590S will offer advanced receiver performance and an extensive range of features that make it ideal for beginner and seasoned DX’er alike. The radio’s exceptional ease of operation, true to the Kenwood tradition, will be especially welcome for contest and mobile applications.

144/430MHz Dual Band FM Portable - TH-D72 (tentative naming)

The APRS® capability found on Kenwood’s TH-D7* and TM-D710 has been upgraded for the TH-D72. Thanks also to the internal GPS unit, APRS operations will be more enjoyable than ever. The TH-D72 also offers EchoLink® memory compatibility and a mini-USB connector for enhanced computer connectivity. This transceiver is sure to make ham radio operations easier and more fun for all.

May 7, 2010 | News Release | Corporate Information | Kenwood Corporation

Not that I am not interested, but Boo! (Thumbs Down) Now we have a Kenwood-Yaesu war, over who can build APRS stuff better. I mean seriously, come on! How about Kenwood do something practical for a change, and actually build a D-Star radio, since they have the capability and product for it overseas. This is just totally stupid. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Icom is bringing out the 9100, and still is the only one with D-Star radios. New models of amateur radios are slow to come out. I think in a lifetime, I may only need 4-5 radios tops, at the low speed minor advancements are made. This is crazy. Why can't a company come up with a new, unique idea?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
How about Kenwood do something practical for a change, and actually build a D-Star radio, since they have the capability and product for it overseas.
The only Kenwood "product" for DStar that I've ever seen mentioned is actually a re-branded Icom radio. To the best of my knowledge, Kenwood is not producing DStar radios, even for the overseas market.

The fact that Kenwood has not introduced a DStar radio in the US is an indication of how soft they think the market is for DStar. If I were a DStar user, I'd be very interested in seeing other manufacturers produce radios for this mode. However, I am an APRS user, so I welcome Kenwood's and Yaesu's decision to go to "war" to see who can build a better APRS radio.

railroadertwo

Kenwood - D-Star

No D-Star Stuff in my area, just APRS, I run APRS from home, and in the Autos. I wish Yaesu would support APRS better. The new FTM-350 is a start, but could use less expensive radios.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Why can't a company come up with a new, unique idea?

There ARE new and unique radios out there, but apparently none that interest you. But the manufacturers are busy with products that they think they can actually sell in numbers large enough to be profitable.

prcguy

20 yrs ago Kenwood was a big player in amateur radio but in the last 5yrs they have dropped off the map.

While Yaesu was expanding and moving into a new larger facility and Icom was flourishing and introducing new products, Kenwood was all but in bankruptcy.

Just looking at handhelds how many new models per year does Yaesu introduce? Kenwoods flagship TH-F6A handheld dates back to around 2001. There has been a lot of progress in radios in the last 9yrs, why would anyone want to buy 9 or 10yr old technology today in a brand new unit?
prcguy

mancow

Database Admin
It's all boring as ****. I didn't even bother to stop at any ham booths at Dayton. It's the same old crap rehashed over and over. APRS...woo hoo...who cares? Buy an Android phone and use Lattitude it's much simpler.

They never seem to come out with anything interesting. The Yaesu menus are still archaic as if designed by a child. The Kenwood stuff still looks like it was made with model paint and glue in my garage.

I wish they would take the FT-817 and shove it in a large hand held config with a large Li-Po battery or something interesting along that line but no. We keep getting the same crap with a different name. Or, maybe they could expand on the D-Star features as some others have mentioned earlier or maybe make some actual real rugged back pack type HF units for field use. But all we get is the same old thing over and over....

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
Reasons that I haven't invest in D-STAR !
No. 1 The price of the radios w/accessoraries
No. 2 Registering Process
No. 3 Icom is the only Manufacturer for US sales, except DV Dongle & DVAP
No. 4 The False Concept of Interopability in emergency communication
In a Emergency situation ARES & RACES cann't really communicate effectively using voice. Altho sending data and images may have faster speed then with anolog, but with phone, never.
So far there's no way intergrate D-STAR with P-25 or other digital protocols

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
APRS...woo hoo...who cares? Buy an Android phone and use Lattitude it's much simpler.

There's much more to APRS than just position reports, which is the only thing Latitude can provide. Also most APRS iGates will not transmit data from the APRS internet server unless it is specifically requested on a per-call sign basis to the APRS iGate trustee. If you're using only Latitude for APRS, you're not really gaining anything and you're not contributing anything to the APRS network, either.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Kenwoods flagship TH-F6A handheld dates back to around 2001. There has been a lot of progress in radios in the last 9yrs, why would anyone want to buy 9 or 10yr old technology today in a brand new unit?
prcguy

I actually own a TH-F6A, as well as a VX6. The Kenwood may be ten year old technology, but at least the 220 band is a full five watts, unlike the latest Yaesu handheld. In truth, how many people really use 6 meters on a handheld? Not many, yet they still produce 6m tribanders. Why not replace that with 220?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Reasons that I haven't invest in D-STAR !
No. 1 The price of the radios w/accessoraries
No. 2 Registering Process
No. 3 Icom is the only Manufacturer for US sales, except DV Dongle & DVAP
No. 4 The False Concept of Interopability in emergency communication
In a Emergency situation ARES & RACES cann't really communicate effectively using voice. Altho sending data and images may have faster speed then with anolog, but with phone, never.
So far there's no way intergrate D-STAR with P-25 or other digital protocols

For the life of me, I still can't figure out why we would adopt a digital system that is standard in Japan, when we have our own digital standard of P25...radios which Icom DOES produce.

N4KVE

For the life of me, I still can't figure out why we would adopt a digital system that is standard in Japan, when we have our own digital standard of P25...radios which Icom DOES produce.
Whenever someone tries to sell me on D Star, I pull my XTS radio out of my pocket & tell them I already have a digital radio. But it would be nice if Icom had used P25. But recently Mototrbo has been muscling in, so now we have 3 digital modes. WTF. GARY N4KVE

W2NJS

Gary,

And now you're about to get the FOURTH digital mode in the US with the FCC's recent announcements about TETRA.

Status
Not open for further replies.