New Kenwood radios for Corrections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger32b

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have info. on new radios being used at Toronto South Detention Centre? Said to be Kenwood(?) -replacing the Tait Orca radios. Supposedly have 20+ channels that are in, or can be used for interal comms.

- Any info on radios or freqs?

- Thanks.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I believe there might have been a thread earlier on it. Looks like the jails are going NXDN.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
If so that's a pretty good contract for Kenwood. I wonder why they went with NXDN over MotoTRBO since TRBO doubles your available channels. Plus, from what I've heard 3rd hand... NXDN doesn't sound all that great.

ranger32b

Premium Subscriber
Nothing found on Industry Canada site - system was just started up last week

ranger32b

Premium Subscriber
Unknown why they went NXDN - probably someone bought dinner for the right person. The system is said to be encrypted - unknown if it is. If so, waste of money as no one wants to hear "Open door 637" all day long...... I'll bet money they aren't capable of inter agency operation with Toronto Fire/Police/EMS which in case of emergency/riot will be a great problem......

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Encryption is a standard feature on the NXDN radios, so no additional costs.

NXDN sounds just fine if the person setting up the radio knows what they are doing, it uses the same vocoder as Trbo and P25.

Trbo does provide two time slots per repeater, but then you have both "channels" in one box. One failure means you've lost two channels.

Of course there is the brand loyalty to Motorola, thats one thing that's hard to overcome.

As for interoperability, the NXDN radios do analog just fine.

SCPD

QRT
Encryption is a standard feature on the NXDN radios, so no additional costs.

NXDN sounds just fine if the person setting up the radio knows what they are doing, it uses the same vocoder as Trbo and P25.

Trbo does provide two time slots per repeater, but then you have both "channels" in one box. One failure means you've lost two channels.

Of course there is the brand loyalty to Motorola, thats one thing that's hard to overcome.

As for interoperability, the NXDN radios do analog just fine.

I would be going P25, what happens 7-10 years from now if Motorola or Kenwood come out with something more updated and discontinue support for TRBO/NXDN? P25 let's you choose multiple vendors for hardware down the road. These other formats might be great but is there a guarantee of support for at least 20 years? Then again I am sure they will one day stop making P25 Phase 1 hardware.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I would be going P25, what happens 7-10 years from now if Motorola or Kenwood come out with something more updated and discontinue support for TRBO/NXDN? P25 let's you choose multiple vendors for hardware down the road. These other formats might be great but is there a guarantee of support for at least 20 years? Then again I am sure they will one day stop making P25 Phase 1 hardware.

This will always be a risk. There are a lot of NexEdge/NXDN users in this area. Most of the shops that run LTR networks are migrating to NXDN, some of them are large (30+ site) networks. With that sort of demand for NXDN, not to mention Trbo, the support will be around for a while. Most non-public safety users can't afford P25 gear, and analog only equipment is not as popular as it was 5 years ago. I don't think NXDN/Trbo is going to disappear anytime soon.

P25 is great, but the cost is too high for most smaller agencies. Interoperability is good, but it doesn't necessarily need to be digital. Trbo, NXDN and P25 radios all do Analog, so there is a common ground. Of course coverage, band, proper programming, etc all come into play, too.

bosco836

The Southwest Detention Centre staff appear to be carrying Kenwood's too now. Have there been any further updates with this system?

Status
Not open for further replies.