Kenwood: New Kenwood TH-D75

Kenwood TH-D75

• I'm really looking forward to buying this radio.

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • May consider buying this radio and some point.

Votes: 46 40.7%
  • Not interested in this radio.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • D-Star is dead, Jim.

Votes: 24 21.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wd9ewk

Hi!

Things lined up for me yesterday to finally try my TH-D75 with the 145.825 MHz ISS packet/APRS digipeater. That digipeater had been off-line for a while, and recently operating with different settings (145.800 MHz instead of 145.825 MHz, using RS0ISS as the packet path instead of the normal ARISS path). And it was a weekend without work!

I was out at the DM52/DM53 grid line working satellites yesterday, along US-70 near Safford AZ (southeast of Phoenix, northeast of Tucson), and had a couple of ISS passes around the middle of the day. I worked the FM repeater on the first ISS pass I had that went to my east, and then tried the digipeater on the later pass. It seems like the TH-D75 did better decoding packets, especially near the start and end of passes. Otherwise, its functionality is almost identical to the TH-D74 for packet (not a surprise).

Rather than duplicating what I already wrote, here's a link to those posts:

73!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Got mine yesterday and am glad I did. First impressions is a nice cosmetic upgrade, PTT button feels more solid. Downloaded the FREE D75 MCP and RCP. I loaded her up with local repeater and my HotSpot and went to town. The audio coming out of this is quite a bit louder and fuller than the D74. Will spend some time with the RCP software and report back.

Performance is excellent and this radio is worth every penny. It is a QUALITY subscriber unit from a heritage company that builds QUALITY subscriber radios. If cheap hams cry about $749 being pricey, they'd lose their minds over what REAL radios cost. I own a Kenwood VP8000 with is their top tier P25/DMR multi-band portable and I paid $3300 out of pocket for it- which is about half of what agency pricing is. Hams have little clue how much quality LMR stuff really costs.

I have an ID-52 and I like the Kenwood form factor better.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
Got mine yesterday and am glad I did. First impressions is a nice cosmetic upgrade, PTT button feels more solid. Downloaded the FREE D75 MCP and RCP. I loaded her up with local repeater and my HotSpot and went to town. The audio coming out of this is quite a bit louder and fuller than the D74. Will spend some time with the RCP software and report back.

Performance is excellent and this radio is worth every penny. It is a QUALITY subscriber unit from a heritage company that builds QUALITY subscriber radios. If cheap hams cry about $749 being pricey, they'd lose their minds over what REAL radios cost. I own a Kenwood VP8000 with is their top tier P25/DMR multi-band portable and I paid $3300 out of pocket for it- which is about half of what agency pricing is. Hams have little clue how much quality LMR stuff really costs.

How's the battery life? Or are there aftermarket batteries?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
How's the battery life? Or are there aftermarket batteries?
Ran it all day out of the box, so I got a solid 9 hours of use with no battery saver and A LOT of TX time on L1-M power on VHF/UHF. Uses the same batteries as the D74. I have a couple of KSC-25LS chargers that I use with my NX-3200 LMR radios so I have drop in chargers already. Will probably be buying a second battery.

palmerjrusa

Now the question is, do I sell my D74 and go for the upgrade...

01689720a

Premium Subscriber
Mine comes tomorrow. I have the Icom-ID-52 and the IC-705. This will be my first Kenwood unit. I am looking forward to APRS as I am an avid hiker.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I can't believe the D75 would be significantly better in that regard compared to the D74 or most other big 3 transceivers. After all, we're only talking about FM, D-STAR, and APRS.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Here are the published receive sensitivity specifications for the TH-D75. I would expect individual radios to meet or exceed the published specs when tested with calibrated equipment. The first column of specs is for Band A and the second column is for Band B.
1712667304325.png

Note that 0.2 µV is pretty much the standard for superheterodyne VHF/UHF radios.

Attachments

• 1712667471917.png
    1712667471917.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 2