New LASD MDCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulNDaOC

Did the BOS ever approve funding to build a new CAD to replace the 80's vintage PRC.

Radio_Lady

Did the BOS ever approve funding to build a new CAD to replace the 80's vintage PRC.
In December I searched the BOS Agendas for 2010 and 2011 and didn't find anything. I dd find a contract that was awarded in 2008 I think, and has been extended again to some company specifically to keep the current CAD system patched together until such time as a new system can be selected and installed, and I never noticed any projected end dates.

There now seems to be a more loose connection between LA-RICS and a new county CAD system, even though a new CAD was one of the centerpoints of that original BOS contract with RCC Consultants in September, 2000 and expanded in November 2005. The magnitude of, and problems with LA-RICS may be causing them to separate out the CAD to get it going before the PRC system falls completely apart.

From my twice-around experiences at LAPD, getting the original Northrup-Grumman-supported system in the early 1980s, and then replacing it 25 years later with (Printrak) Premier, they are probably still a few years out. Between when they place the order and get it installed, there are lots of changes in technology that delay things, and what you end up with can be quite different from what you bought. When LA City signed the order for the new system it was with a company named Printrak, but by the time it went online "Printrak" no longer existed and Motorola had bought out the CAD system, made major tweaks, and renamed it "Premier." Dozens of contract extensions and amendments along the way, some at the City's and some at Motorola's requests.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
In December I searched the BOS Agendas for 2010 and 2011 and didn't find anything. I dd find a contract that was awarded in 2008 I think, and has been extended again to some company specifically to keep the current CAD system patched together until such time as a new system can be selected and installed, and I never noticed any projected end dates.

There now seems to be a more loose connection between LA-RICS and a new county CAD system, even though a new CAD was one of the centerpoints of that original BOS contract with RCC Consultants in September, 2000 and expanded in November 2005. The magnitude of, and problems with LA-RICS may be causing them to separate out the CAD to get it going before the PRC system falls completely apart.

From my twice-around experiences at LAPD, getting the original Northrup-Grumman-supported system in the early 1980s, and then replacing it 25 years later with (Printrak) Premier, they are probably still a few years out. Between when they place the order and get it installed, there are lots of changes in technology that delay things, and what you end up with can be quite different from what you bought. When LA City signed the order for the new system it was with a company named Printrak, but by the time it went online "Printrak" no longer existed and Motorola had bought out the CAD system, made major tweaks, and renamed it "Premier." Dozens of contract extensions and amendments along the way, some at the City's and some at Motorola's requests.

Sometime in the late 1970's or early 80's I remember the LAPD switching from VHF to UHF and giving the handhelds the moniker of ROVERs. Remote Out of Vehicle Emergency Radios if I remember correctly. Handhelds were not in wide use when the VHF system was in operation, but they were called "CC" units. I don't remember what CC stood for. The MDC issue was somewhat controversial as a bond measure had to be passed for the city to equip mobile units with them. A lot of cop haters came out with letters to the editor opposing the measure. Why do those cops need a computer in their cars and etc. tended to be the theme as if they were some type of luxury. They didn't care or didn't want the officers to have a tool that made law enforcement more efficient and effective as well as providing a measure to increase officer safety.

My memory of this is sketchy and disjointed. I had lived out of L.A. more than 10 years at the time this all started. That and I was working very hard to graduate from college and start a career. Being 61 has nothing to do with it!

I'm surprised that the MDC's can be replaced in lean tax years such as we are currently experiencing. Is some federal homeland security funding involved here?

Last edited:

Radio_Lady

It is Northrup-Grumman. Once you get logged on the system, it is lightning fast. A few bugs here and there but an improvement over the old system.
Thanks for bringing me into the 21st Century, Starman918. I've heard about the other enhancements but somehow never caught wind of your new CAD system. N-G are good people to work with, and few of LAPD's delays were their fault.

The MDC issue was somewhat controversial as a bond measure had to be passed for the city to equip mobile units with them.
Just as I was becoming a faux-competent RTO, LAPD got two LEAA (remember them?) grants in 1973 and 1976 as seed money for research and testing of the whole MDT and CAD concept. In 1977 the voters passed Charter Amendment 1, a $40-million temporary tax override to fund the whole package. I don't remember any hue and cry about the computers, but there may have been some. The $40 million paid for the 506-band radio system infrastructure, all the ROVERs, the MDTs, the CAD system and the now-former dispatch center in the dungeon far beneath City Hall East. It was our cramped, windowless, claustrophobic home from 1983-2003. And the "temporary" tax override was just that: it expired on schedule in 1982, and covered the entire project. Except within a year or two the CAD system was trying to handle a workload that hadn't been expected until the 1990s. It was awful at times for the next 18 years, lagging as much as a minute behind our keystrokes. But dispatchers being pretty resourceful and flexible, when the computer couldn't keep up we did it the old fashioned way, in our heads and with scratch-paper.

I'm surprised that the MDC's can be replaced in lean tax years such as we are currently experiencing. Is some federal homeland security funding involved here?
It's all 1992 dollars and the interest on them that have been buying LAPD's new MDCs, Exsmokey. That was when $236-million Proposition M was handily passed by 73% of the voters, in what coincidentally was the wake of the so-called Rodney King riots.

The new communications system bond issue was accurately described at the time as a "20-year plan," including building two new dispatch centers, a new generation of radios and MDTs (ended up being MDCs), and the new CAD system. And it's taken them just about all 20 of those years to get it done. The biggest final stumbling block was getting the repeatedly-changed CAD system to interface with the entirely new MDCs that they ended up with. I had tossed my headset by then though, so I missed those two parts. But not much, from the stories I got from my old co-workers.

Did we get off-topic somehow?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Radio Lady, we really didn't get off track as the history of the MDC program in southern California is very pertinent to where the programs are headed now. I didn't know that an older bond measure was being used to fund current purchases. I was just reviewing the escrow papers on my late mother's house in Westchester and a very detailed breakdown of the property tax bill is given. There is a 1915 bond that provides funding for county parks included in the bill, so some of these programs have very long term funding sources.

My memory on the ROVER's and initial MDC's for the LAPD was pretty far off. I must have been acquainted with more "less that enthusiastic supporters of law enforcement" at the time.

I've lived in rural areas long enough that the concept of MDC's is beyond me. Although I have done 2 ride alongs with Wilshire Division sergeants in the last ten years. It was interesting to see how they used them.

For the LASD I think back a little more than 20 years just before the department moved from low band to UHF. The dispatchers talked faster than Chick Hern (no small achievement) and listening to the radio while doing everything else must have been a challenge for deputies. With the improvements of more frequencies and routine calls and other information exchange being handled on the MDC's it is just the higher priority traffic being transmitted. It is easier to listen to them and do other things as well, not being glued to the front of the scanner.

Do they use a wireless company as their provider? or do they have their own network? I know Monterey county use verizon wireless as their provider they just upgraded all their USB modems to LTE.

EDIT: n/m Just read that 48 LASD facilities will be configured with a wireless access point.

SCPD

QRT
Verizon works well in rural areas and AT&T works poorly, if at all, in rural areas. This is true in mountainous areas. I would imagine the same thing is not true in the central valley and similar. It would be interesting to know if the LASD's MDC's will work in a place such as Monte Cristo, located in a canyon on the Angeles Forest Highway or up the west fork of the San Gabriel River.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROID2 GLOBAL Build/4.5.1_57_D2G-38) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Starman918 said:
They use AT&T Wireless....We were told Verizon Wireless was too expensive.

:lol:

Radio_Lady

Priority usage of the network?

Verizon works well in rural areas and AT&T works poorly, if at all, in rural areas. This is true in mountainous areas. I would imagine the same thing is not true in the central valley and similar. It would be interesting to know if the LASD's MDC's will work in a place such as Monte Cristo, located in a canyon on the Angeles Forest Highway or up the west fork of the San Gabriel River.
Considering the huge territory they have to cover, it makes sense to use a wide-area commercial service, as contrasted with LAPD & LAFD's using PLMR 800 & UHF in-house channels through a limited number of repeater sites.

Will LASD have some sort of priority on the AT&T network during a major disaster, which inevitably overload such systems?

Starman918

Not sure if they have some sort of priority, but the dept was told in the event that there was a major power outage the system would automatically switch operations to another system, located in another state. This may also happen when the system becomes overloaded, but I am not sure.

Last edited:

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I don't know what the backend infrastructure is like at LASD, however they might keep their 470Mhz data network still alive similar to how LA City has kept the LAPD 800Mhz system up for fall back even after many year since moving to the Dell laptops using Sprint.

PaulNDaOC

The current MDT's don't work very well in the mountains on the 470 system. No big deal. The system just waits til both sides hear each other than completes the transaction.

This really only would affect a couple of cars some of the time. If it's important SCC can voice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.