New Legacy Scanner Upgrade Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ11DLN

$60 + shipping to turn an unsupported radio that functions either on very out of date and limited firmware, or conversely on "bootleg" firmware whose future is at best uncertain, into a legitimate, supported radio, where no jiggery-pokery is needed to make it work, and with at least the tacit possibility of future updates? I'm in. I have one each Pro-18 and Pro-668 that I will be cycling through this program. Kudos to Whistler for offering this.

Also, I note that Eric hasn't posted in the threads pertaining to his updates for these radios in awhile...I really hope he did not get into trouble for merely trying to help out the people who got "stuck" with unsupported RS radios.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Will this upgrade be more then just a firmware change ? I would rather have a true WS1080 and not have to worry about which scanner has the upgrade. It would just simplify the whole situation.

And I applaud Whistler for supporting their customers . A big Thank You !!!!

In ezscan you can change the opening screen to say Pro-668 or anything you want.

milcom_chaser

Ok, so all future firmware upgrades will be supported, and can be done directly thru EZscan.

Well, that sounds cool.

milcom_chaser

So, are we paying for what Eric provided for free? Or are you actually upgrading the hardware to handle the code more efficiently?

I doubt there would be any hardware changes. That happened when they released the TRX line of radios with larger processor flash space, and RF component replacements.

BrianG61UK

So, are we paying for what Eric provided for free? Or are you actually upgrading the hardware to handle the code more efficiently?

I doubt much changes in the hardware. However Whistler can't just tell you how to put the DMR firmware in to a device where the license fees for the proprietary AMBR+2 codec haven't been paid. The owners of the codec would not be pleased and would expect Whistler to pay.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
My guess is pretty much the $59.99 covers the cost of the return shipping plus the licensing fee for DMR as well as some engineering done on Whistlers side to make it compatible with EZ scan and future updates.
This seems like a legit win for the Pro-688 users who want to keep their unit going a bit longer.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

This is surprising news from Whistler and I am planning on taking advantage of it. Why? Because it is easier to do upgrades through official channels.

I suspect the upgrade is replacing the bootloader in the scanner, so WS-1080 firmware can be loaded directly. There could also be firmware changes to handle the slight differences in hardware between the scanner models.

Thanks Whistler for offering this to past GRE/Radio Shack customers. I assume there is no LED support on the Pro-18?

73 Eric

milcom_chaser

Hello,

This is surprising news from Whistler and I am planning on taking advantage of it. Why? Because it is easier to do upgrades through official channels.

I suspect the upgrade is replacing the bootloader in the scanner, so WS-1080 firmware can be loaded directly. There could also be firmware changes to handle the slight differences in hardware between the scanner models.

Thanks Whistler for offering this to past GRE/Radio Shack customers. I assume there is no LED support on the Pro-18?

73 Eric

Was thinking that as well yesterday while downgrading firmware; they will change the boot-loader. As a side note, had to roll back to v4.5 to allow for 12.5khz step size in the 450-470 band via the Canadian Band Plan. Which beckons the question: can you roll back the firmware version once the radio is upgraded via EZscan? I know in the past you were limited to what is up on their website.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

73 Eric

I'm hoping when we get a better clarification of the upgrade that it's going to be a WS1080. This would be the most logical scenario where future upgrades will be simple and hardware compatibility would not be an issue.

If Whistler wants to steal the show, releasing 3rd party software support like Win500 would do the trick.

Steveofcleve

Premium Subscriber
Legacy Upgrade

Applaud the Legacy Upgrade coming in June! Will there be any upgrades to the EZScan software for the PSR800 to address the hardware upgrade? Will future Whistler firmware updates that are compatible with the PSR800 be made available through EZScan?

CycleSycho

Applaud the Legacy Upgrade coming in June! Will there be any upgrades to the EZScan software for the PSR800 to address the hardware upgrade? Will future Whistler firmware updates that are compatible with the PSR800 be made available through EZScan?

:confused: As a guess, I would think the converted radio will need the EZScan for the WS1080? Until more information comes out and a few have done the update and posted here in the forum, the 'guesses' will be widespread. That's my guess, for the record. :confused:

bkantor

This is very welcome news! Wendy made my day - love my PSR-800 but was too chicken to try the upgrade on my own.
Thanks for rolling this out - very unusual in this industry - and thanks to Eric C all of his hard work and for getting everyone excited enough about upgrading these radios and catching Whistlers attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.