New Legacy Scanner Upgrade Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamsWD

Got my RS-Pro-668 back today from Upgrade. Eight day turn around from shipped in to back home and using it. Somehow, I forgot to remove SD Card and had been using the hacked WS-1080 firmware. Whistler did the upgrade and shipping quickly. I am now receiving 10 fold more ham repeaters. My local DMR (Law, HAM, Power Utilities) channels are much clearer and all increased in number. This was 60$ well spent, my thanks to Whistler for keeping my Pro-668 in the game for hopefully some time to come.

jackj

Debated with myself for a few days but finally decided to get my 800 upgraded. Sent in Monday, I'll check tomorrow to see if Whistler has received it yet.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I almost missed it but thanks to jspence's comment about getting an email from Whistler, I discovered that I had one too! It was from Karen Kitterman with the subject, "DMR Update". The email had important instructions on how to finish the migration.

I never got an email from Whistler, but I did get the USPS notification. What were the instructions?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
PRO-18 after Whistler upgrade

DMR quality is very good, and everything else works at least as well as before. Getting my PSR 800 ready to go.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
I sent my scanner in with Eric's upgrade with 4.5 firmware. Got it back today and there was a note "hacked" "Whistler upgraded" with the 4.7 firmware installed
Hello,

Whistler maybe tracking the percentage of upgrades from people who did my experiment. It would be interesting to see the numbers, but I doubt they would be released.

I did not roll back my Pro-668 and I would not suggest it. It may even be a positive, showing that people would pay for an official way of getting DMR and support.

73 Eric

Radiobern

Feed Provider
Yes, I received my upgraded scanner back and "hacked" was also written on the return note. I sent mine in via USPS Priority Mail and it was also shipped back to me via USPS Priority Mail. It was a very quick turn around.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Whistler maybe tracking the percentage of upgrades from people who did my experiment. It would be interesting to see the numbers, but I doubt they would be released.

I did not roll back my Pro-668 and I would not suggest it. It may even be a positive, showing that people would pay for an official way of getting DMR and support.

73 Eric

Be interesting to see if everyone who sends in a unit with the unofficial upgrade in place will have the word "hacked" written on the invoice per corporate directions, or if it is only a certain tech(s) doing that on their own.

I will have to wait a while to submit my Pro-668 as I am away from home on business. I asked them if that would be a problem and they responded no as this is not a limited time offer, so whenever I get home I can go through the process. I also do not plan to roll-back the firmware before submitting it.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I may be missing something but I thought the firmware wasen't hacked....Eric's tool just allowed the 800 to accept the updated 1080 firmware....no ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
While to my knowledge the actual firmware itself was never manipulated, I am quite certain that in Whistler's eyes this was a hack. After all, the "tool" that Eric worked on allowed their WS-1080 firmware to be downloaded into three models it was never intended for, even if the design is basically the same. I think the word "hacked" is not really accurate in this case, but of course that is coming from their optic and they are certainly free to apply it if they so choose.

I personally am glad that they stepped up to the plate on this and are bringing the PSR-800, Pro-18 and Pro-668 under their official support umbrella, regardless of whether or not an individual applied the unofficial update.

DJ11DLN

I've been holding off but I intend to send both of my Eric-upgraded scanners in for the update. I never intended to return them to factory FW; Whistler has a presence here and knows all about the off-the-books upgrades.

The problem is that I'm not having a very good relationship with the USPS at present...I need to bite the bullet and call Whistler, and see if they will ship it back to me via UPS (which I'll use to send them in) or even FedEx if I pay the extra fees up front. I can see the perfectly functional scanners showing up at my house in unrepairable condition, thanks to the United States Postal Disservice. This is based on several incidents involving parcels I ordered, which were handled by the USPS in the last 24-30 months.:mad:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
My radio got there yesterday :) hope I can do settings in the menu where I can change stuff without software.

I got my radio back yesterday while I was at work. I updated the fw and so on and you can do settings now instead going to computer and send back to radio.

BrianG61UK

I may be missing something but I thought the firmware wasen't hacked....Eric's tool just allowed the 800 to accept the updated 1080 firmware....no ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know. But if the firmware wasn't hacked why did people say they couldn't do the settings on the scanner and needed to do them via a computer? Surely if the firmware worked and was unchanged it would work completely including settings.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I received my PRO 668 back on Friday. DMR upgrade and Whistler upgrade working great !

Thanks Whistler !

R

mrkelso

Today i got my PSR800 back from the whistlers at whistler. Followed all the instruction enclosed and my scanner is singing like a canary. I am well Pleased. Now to do some testing.

SOSull66

Premium Subscriber
Wendy?

I got my upgraded scanner back today..

One thing....when I checked out there was an offer for a scanner case and a swivel belt clip..
I also ordered those... total was 104.89

So when I got the box from Whistler it had my scanner....but none of the extra accessories.

I send them an email....

Wendy?? Can you help out?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.