New License - Any Pointers or Study Groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurucharan

Hello All :)
I am new to this forum and would like to know about how I can get a new HAM license in CA state?

Please send me any links or contacts or references.

Also, if you are reading up for the exam, we can form a study group if interested.

Thanks,
Guru

FullAuto

Premium Subscriber
If you have an iPhone, get the free app Ham Tech. It covers all the Technician level questions. It has a nice feature of helping you focus on your areas of weakness. Get the ARRL Tech Level Study guide. The app and guide work very nicely together. You can have the test down cold with 10-20 hours of reading the book and self-testing with the app. Small tip: throughout the book use a yellow highlighter and highlight all of the bracketed test question reference numbers (e.g. [T8C05]). That will help you quickly find the explanation and background for any particular test question. There are General and Extra flavors of the app, too. Use them with the matching ARRL books.

Try to first go it alone with the app and book. You probably won't need a study group (unless you have little or no technical background). About half the test is very basic radio and electronic "tech/geek" stuff. The rest is regulations, procedures and common ham practices. Techie types will have an advantage going in, but non-techies can do fine as well, but will just have a work a little harder. For example, I learned ohms law and what a capacitor was in high school. That gave me several "free" questions with no study.

N0IU

You don't say where you live in California, but you might want to check out the ARRL club listings at Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs. You can search for a club by city, state, zip code. I suggest this because some clubs offer classes and some people find it easier to learn the material when someone teaches it instead of just reading the questions and answers out of a book.

As a bonus, most clubs that have classes often offer a testing session at the conclusion of the class so you won't have to go looking for a test session.

gurucharan

Sorry, my bad. I live in Sunnyvale in CA.
Thanks for the info - I will check out the club nearest to sunnyvale and go there next weekend (if they are open on saturday/sunday).

Thanks,
Guru

khooke

Get a copy of the ARRL study guide/license manual. Work through the materials, and work through the question pool in the back of the book.

There's a number of sites that do sample exams online based on the question pool (not sure of the policies on this site if it's ok to link to them or not). At least one is a paid service, others are free. Plus the smartphone apps as someone already mentioned. My approach was to study and take the sample tests until I was repeatedly getting > 90% on the tests. Depending on how you study, this may or may not work for you too.

Good luck!
Kevin KK6DCT

KD2EQF

I downloaded a few apps to my iphone to study for the technician exam and it worked out well for me. Questions I didn't understand I looked up online. I also watched a handful of youtube videos which made a few of the concepts easier to visualize.

Status
Not open for further replies.