New Lincoln / Lancaster County P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Good evening, everyone!

Recent monitoring in the Lincoln area confirms that the new Lincoln-Lancaster County P25 system is on the air and handling traffic!

Site #: 123
NAC: 143
Neighbors: 155 (Lincoln North) and 183 (Lincoln South)

Primary CC: 854.6875
Sec CC: 856.2125, 856.4625, 859.7125

Field observations indicate that quite a few of the Active TGs are in the 12xxx range, along with RIDs in the 250xxx and 220xxx ranges. The Source for some of the transmissions shows "EXTERNAL", which may be an indication of patches between this system and the long-running EDACS system.

Also, the system appears to be handling both Phase 1 and Phase 2 TGs, but haven't seen any sign of Encrypted TGs just yet.

Let the identifying begin!!

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Listening to the system audio just after finding the system reveals that TG 12115 is quite active and appears to be carrying a patch to one of the main Lincoln PD TGs from the existing EDACS system.

scannerman402

Looks like they are doing some testing and patched some channels. I know someone involved in the project and they said encryption is soon but not fully setup. The project is way behind but should be coming to life in the coming months. They are ramping up testing in the coming weeks. Im surprised there are only 4 frequencies? EDACS has around 20. Is that all you found or is that it? Not sure how P25 works. Thanks for posting this.

aandersen55

Lancaster County Sherrif will the the first agency to switch over for testing since it covers the full county. Also only 4 channels makes sense at the moment as they have to be taking the channels from the EDACS system so that both systems don't talk on it at the same time and get jammed up. The Lincoln South Site should be Jensen Park. I do not know if North is Miltary or the Arbor tower.

Last edited:

aandersen55

Also been monitoring on Unitrunker the EDACS system and can confirm there have been some patch channels active feeding into the EDACS system and vice versa.

scannerman402

Lancaster County Sherrif will the the first agency to switch over for testing since it covers the full county. Also only 4 channels makes sense at the moment as they have to be taking the channels from the EDACS system so that both systems don't talk on it at the same time and get jammed up. The Lincoln South Site should be Jensen Park. I do not know if North is Miltary or the Arbor tower.

There will be three sites: Jensen, Military, and Arbor.

nd5y

In the past few years several Harris EDACS systems here in TX and OK converted to P25.
You might get lucky on identifying talkgroups.

On the systems down here most of the talkgroups remained the same with 1 or 2 extra digits added to the beginning, so EDACS 123 might become P25 20123 or EDACS 1234 might become P25 21234. You might see something similar with radio IDs.

You might see talkgroup IDs in the 640xx range used for acceptance testing for a few months and never used again.

You might see radio IDs in the 99800xx range used for acceptance testing for a few months and never used again.

You might see dynamically geneated temporary talkgroup IDs in the 65xxx range for temporary patches that change all the time.

aandersen55

I also heard on the EDACS system someone talking about patching and testing channels one day last week. From what I understand they hope to have the system operational by summer.

aandersen55

Thanks. I was curious if they were the same as the state system and ORION.
Yes. They city and the state struck and agreement that the city will use the state system core, but all the other equipement will be owned by the city. This was done so that it makes interop easier for agencies on the systems and also clears up some coverage areas on the state system in the city.

aandersen55

Also should add, the only talk groups that will be encrypted are Law Enforcment. All other groups, including Lincoln Fire, have been said to stay unencrypted when the system cuts over by city officials.

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Looks like they are doing some testing and patched some channels. I know someone involved in the project and they said encryption is soon but not fully setup. The project is way behind but should be coming to life in the coming months. They are ramping up testing in the coming weeks. Im surprised there are only 4 frequencies? EDACS has around 20. Is that all you found or is that it? Not sure how P25 works. Thanks for posting this.

The four (4) frequencies listed in my first post are only the Primary and Secondary Control Channels - there are many more voice channels than what are listed in that post.

aandersen55

In the past few years several Harris EDACS systems here in TX and OK converted to P25.
You might get lucky on identifying talkgroups.

On the systems down here most of the talkgroups remained the same with 1 or 2 extra digits added to the beginning, so EDACS 123 might become P25 20123 or EDACS 1234 might become P25 21234. You might see something similar with radio IDs.

You might see talkgroup IDs in the 640xx range used for acceptance testing for a few months and never used again.

You might see radio IDs in the 99800xx range used for acceptance testing for a few months and never used again.

You might see dynamically geneated temporary talkgroup IDs in the 65xxx range for temporary patches that change all the time.
Can't be 100% certain right now, but it appears that LPD/LSO Channel 3 on the EDACS system has been patched into the new system. I'm watching both side by side on unitrunker right now and whenever someone keys up on that talkgroup on EDACS, someone instantly also keys up on Talkgroup 12103 on the new system. I'm suspecting that that is the ID for LPD/LSO Channel 3. Everynow and then the user ID tries to key on State group 3071 (Dispatch 1) and it flags as a denial instead, so I'm assuming it's not 100% patched and still needs some work.

Lincoln Fire TAC2 also appears patched into talkgroup 12502. Encryption is active on LE but not Fire.

Last edited:
Can't be 100% certain right now, but it appears that LPD/LSO Channel 3 on the EDACS system has been patched into the new system. I'm watching both side by side on unitrunker right now and whenever someone keys up on that talkgroup on EDACS, someone instantly also keys up on Talkgroup 12103 on the new system. I'm suspecting that that is the ID for LPD/LSO Channel 3. Everynow and then the user ID tries to key on State group 3071 (Dispatch 1) and it flags as a denial instead, so I'm assuming it's not 100% patched and still needs some work.

Lincoln Fire TAC2 also appears patched into talkgroup 12502. Encryption is active on LE but not Fire.

Are these still patch? I'm not hearing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.