New Live Feed coming from unstaffed location

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFDret103

Premium Subscriber
I' wanting to get a feel for how much interaction is required for keeping a live feed up and online 24/7. My feed would originate from a building that has no one there at times. Will this be problematic?

Thanks,
IFDret103

brandon

Database Admin
One of my feeds originates from the electrical room in a warehouse. The building is staffed but I have not had to make any unexpected visits in over a year.

Some tips

• Install remote control software such as LogMeIn. It also has a feature to "hard reset" the computer in case of lock up.
  • Enable automatic power on in BIOS in case of power failure.
  • Enable Wake-on-LAN to power up in case somebody shuts computer off.
  • Use Hamachi VPN (free) to setup a backup method of remote access.
  • Consider using a Thin Client instead of regular PC. They are small and have no moving parts to fail (e.g.: fans, hard drives, etc.)
  • Power switches that can be controlled over the Internet.

I'm sure there are other suggestions folks may have, but these can help get you started.

NYRHKY94

Brandon's suggestions are right on the money, with the key being remote access software (more than 1 method is preferred). One of my feeds is located in a house in another state, and I use the following 3 remote access tools to control & maintain the scanner/feed:

1. LogMeIn (free)
2. UltraVNC (free)
3. Windows RDP (free)

As long as I have power and/or internet at the remote location, there is no human involvement needed on the other end.

Tweekerbob

In addition to remote control software, it's also a good idea to have all of the necessary software required to run your feed to automatically start-up upon a reboot.

SCPD

QRT
Be careful with Windows RDP as it will try to move the audio to the client PC and will disrupt the entire feed (and at times make it hard to connect) - for managing the feed (or the computer for that matter), I'll stick to LogMeIn (as I use that) or UltraVNC. Windows RDP is best client for other scenarios!

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
My feed is in the corner of my garage with a good UPS. It might as well be on the side of a mountain. It rarely needs any human interaction.

VFN05

I have a similar setup to Ralph, and use gbridge (also free) for remote access. While it does not have the hard reset feature of LogMeIn, it has worked well for me.

cgriggs

I also use AutoHotKey to automate tasks such as killing programs and re-opening them. I use this in conjunction with scheduled tasks as well.

I second VNC, specifically UltraVNC.

Status
Not open for further replies.