New London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Hey All,

I'll be in New London for the weekend. I have the conventional freqs in my non-trunking Icom R-6, and I would rather travel light (going via Amtrak), but I noticed New London has PD and FD on the local P-25 TRS.
Are they simulcasting on the conventional channels still, or do I have to bring the larger Uniden trunking hand held?
Thanks in advance and have a great (and safe!) holiday weekend!

Jim

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Jim,

NFLD Fire Dispatch works on conventional, but that's it, you won't even hear anyone talking back to dispatch (I no longer keep NLFD dispatch's conventional channel on my radios). Everything else, Police or Fire is on P25 Trunked. CSP is also very active, and on P25 Trunked. USCG in NL, while conventional, has shifted some of it is radio usage to P25 as well.

New London operates on the Waterford CT system. USCG 16 and 22 are very active here, as is the L&M Medic channel.

w1haf

That is only the old NLFD Vocalarm to the stations announcing the call. It is only used by dispatch. Their old channels are not used at all.

ecps92

The CG on the East Coast has been P25 LMR for quite sometime, not something they are just shifting to. The Academy is and remains Analog

United States Coast Guard - The RadioReference Wiki

Jim,

USCG in NL, while conventional, has shifted some of it is radio usage to P25 as well.

New London operates on the Waterford CT system. USCG 16 and 22 are very active here, as is the L&M Medic channel.

sefrischling

Bill,

Some of their LMR is analog. Not sure what the difference is in their radio usage, but I hear analog at times here.

ecps92

The USCG is P25 VHF and UHF LMR as listed in the Wiki
The USCG Academy is Analog VHF (Not part of the P25 LMR Network)
The USCG Aux is Analog VHF (Not part of the P25 LMR Network)
The Current VHF Marine channels will always be Analog and Not Narrowband

What are you hearing Analog ??

Bill,

Some of their LMR is analog. Not sure what the difference is in their radio usage, but I hear analog at times here.

sefrischling

Bill,

I have twice heard USCG discussing subs coming into the mouth of the Thames on analog in May, in June they were in the Niantic Bay and on analog. I hear them on P25 all the time in these areas, not sure why these instances were analog. These were not USCGA or Aux operations.

When I say I am not sure what the difference is, I know the the difference between analog and P25, I know the difference between USCG, USCGA, Aux. I live along the shoreline and make part of my living as a professional journalist covering transportation security, so I am very familiar with the USCG, including having been an embedded journalist with them in Iraq for Bloomberg News ... what I meant was I don't know why some of their transmissions are analog in a P25 system.

ecps92

Which Frequency ?

Bill,

I have twice heard USCG discussing subs coming into the mouth of the Thames on analog in May, in June they were in the Niantic Bay and on analog. I hear them on P25 all the time in these areas, not sure why these instances were analog. These were not USCGA or Aux operations.

When I say I am not sure what the difference is, I know the the difference between analog and P25, I know the difference between USCG, USCGA, Aux. I live along the shoreline and make part of my living as a professional journalist covering transportation security, so I am very familiar with the USCG, including having been an embedded journalist with them in Iraq for Bloomberg News ... what I meant was I don't know why some of their transmissions are analog in a P25 system.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone! I had fun and was so busy with friends that I just spent the late part of the evenings there listening to NLPD & FD in the background. I won't be there for Sailfest, but perhaps next year!
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.