• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Looking where to post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cableguyz

Hello All,

I am new to this forum looking for some information on our HYT Radios.

We have 4 HYT-TC508s 2 HYT 610s

I was having some trouble with short distance only. We do a lot of work in hospitals in NJ NY CT, can anyone recommend any good frequencies? Like i said I'm new to this forum and commercial grade radios. Hopefully ya don't beat me over the head, haha ;)

Heard good things about Hytera so we scooped a few up.

Main concerns is we are looking for some decent range in hospitals and large high rise buildings currently the HYTs are only going 1-2 floors.

KC9HI

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I am new to this forum looking for some information on our HYT Radios.

We have 4 HYT-TC508s 2 HYT 610s

I was having some trouble with short distance only. We do a lot of work in hospitals in NJ NY CT, can anyone recommend any good frequencies? Like i said I'm new to this forum and commercial grade radios. Hopefully ya don't beat me over the head, haha ;)

Heard good things about Hytera so we scooped a few up.

Main concerns is we are looking for some decent range in hospitals and large high rise buildings currently the HYTs are only going 1-2 floors.

Another concern that you should have is what is legal. The only frequencies that you should program into these radios and use them on are the ones that are assigned to you on your FCC license.

Jim KC9HI

Cableguyz

Like I said I'm new to the commercial industry so can you guide me ?
If I'm on a specific band or frq 450-470 can others still be on this channel? Will it vary from state to state we do travel for work.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If I'm on a specific band or frq 450-470 can others still be on this channel? Will it vary from state to state we do travel for work.

Short answer is yes, there are many licensed users in that frequency range who will be pissed if you interfere with their channel, and will probably report you to the FCC, which could result in your radios being confiscated and you paying thousands of dollars in fines. Some of those users may be police, fire, EMS, or other public safety agencies who take a particularly dim view of someone unlicensed yapping on their channel. You can't just punch in some number and key the mic and expect everything to be fine.

Also, without a repeater infrastructure, no portable/handheld radio is going to work particularly well in a large multistory steel building.

The whole point of licensed frequencies is that someone coordinates their use to minimize or eliminate interference between licensed users.

DisasterGuy

As mentioned, go to a reputable radio shop that will handle licensing and coordination for you as well as program your radios properly. Without infrastructure though (an in-building DAS) you are not going to have the range you want in the kind of structures you are working in. A better solution is likely cellular phones with PTT or a PTT app for smartphones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cableguyz

Understood the hard part is we are not fixed objects in these sites as we are a contractor brought in for jobs. We have the PTT app but service is spotty in hospitals :/

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
You shouldn't do anything except get a properly licensed frequency (or more) to use your radios on. For the type of work you do, the FCC issues what are called itinerant frequencies. The license for these channels is not tied to any geographical location and you are free to move them from job to job. They are also not coordinated which means someone on the same channel could pop up nearby. Nothing you can do but grit your teeth and share. As a temporary location, hopefully this won't last for long. Signalling schemes (ctcss, etc) can null casual reception of other users, but interference is still possible.

You CAN apply for these frequencies yourself but it is very confusing if you have never done this type of thing before. Best to enlist the help of a licensing coordination company or a local radio shop to help you through the process.

As far as operation, hospitals are one of the worst for radio to radio communications no matter what brand you buy. A couple of floors in a multi-story building is pretty typical. You would at least need to invest in a small portable repeater. This would pick up the hand helds signal and rebroadcast it to other locations. For hospitals, I've had good luck not placing the repeater on the roof but instead outside the building off to the side (on a job trailer?) with a directional antenna pointed at the building. The signal would leak horizontal out windows and doors and be rebroadcast back to other floors the same way. Going vertical between floors just doesn't work. And there are two itinerant repeater frequency pairs available to use.

To start cheap bottom of the barrel, here's a repeater that's easy to move around:

Ritron Liberty Repeater

Better repeaters will go up in costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.