New Low Band PSEG License

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Just came across this license renewal for PSEG made a few weeks ago. I was surprised to see they still wish to use the low band frequencies. I thought they would just stick with their 900 MHz system and abandon all their low band channels.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp?licKey=1882864

They also just got a license granted on 47.740 for the first time. Do they want to leave the TRUNKED system and go low band again? Just seems odd to me. They also have a couple frequencies licensed in the Airplane Band (122.850 for example). I can't imagine what they possible would use that for. Also, Port Authority has a separate license on that same frequency at Newark Airport.

jaymatt1978

They use it for backup. Just look at the NJSP even though they're on 800 Mhz trunked they still have VHF licenses just in case.

GM

Premium Subscriber
I believe that PSE&G uses the airplane frequency for the helicopters/airplanes that patrol the high tension power lines a few times a year looking for any damage or to prevent any damage to the lines, such as tree limbs, etc. that they can easily see from the air.

According to my contact at PSE&G, there are no plans at this time to abandon the Trunked System.

robbinsj2

It may be a new license on 47.74 but it isn't their first on the frequency -- see KG3865 which seems to date back to 1993 at the latest, possibly a decade or two earlier.

PSEG maintains licenses on a host of VHF channels. In addition to backup, some conventional channels may also be for communications with other utility companies during mobilizations. Any utility scannists out there familiar with standing arrangements for interoperable communications? Does the host license standard channels for the given location/ region?

Jim

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
You would think they would have a VTAC/UTAC/ITAC setup for Utilities in the event of large scale disasters like Hurricanes and other types of storms. There was a lot of out of state aid during Sandy, I guess they used Cellphones to communicate.

Tech792

10 or 15 years ago, NJ Natural Gas used 47 mhz for their MDT terminals and VHF high (153/158 mhz) for their voice channel. Unknown if its still set up this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.