New MARCS tower in Stark County

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerk

I posted this in news and it was deleted. Sometimes I wonder why bother....

New communications tower to enhance wireless service
CantonRep.com staff report
Posted Apr 09, 2010 @ 09:11 PM

The state Office of Information Technology is on the verge of constructing a communications tower in the Alliance area that will serve public safety agencies plus help bring Internet services to Columbiana County’s Knox Township.

The tower will be built on the Knox Township Hall property at 2895 Knox School Rd. The tower will be operated by Multi-Agency Radio Communication System, a state radio and data network providing wireless communication services to subscribers throughout Ohio.

New communications tower to enhance wireless service - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I posted this in news and it was deleted. Sometimes I wonder why bother....

New communications tower to enhance wireless service
CantonRep.com staff report
Posted Apr 09, 2010 @ 09:11 PM

The state Office of Information Technology is on the verge of constructing a communications tower in the Alliance area that will serve public safety agencies plus help bring Internet services to Columbiana County’s Knox Township.

The tower will be built on the Knox Township Hall property at 2895 Knox School Rd. The tower will be operated by Multi-Agency Radio Communication System, a state radio and data network providing wireless communication services to subscribers throughout Ohio.

New communications tower to enhance wireless service - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com

Thank you for posting that. Technically, I think that site is going to be in NW Columbiana Co rather than Stark. Given its close proximity to the current Salem tower, and given how strong the signal off of the current site is into Jefferson Co from the Salem tower, I have to wonder if MARCS will simply move the Salem site over to this new tower once it is erected.

If I'm not mistaken, the current Salem site is on the ~800 foot WNEO tower. The proposed new site is something like 7 miles away from the current Salem site. I really couldn't picture them having two separate MARCS sites given the coverage of the current site. I coudl be wrong though.

I'm obviously not doubting the construction of a new tower. I'm merely speculating that the existing Salem radio site may be moved over to the new tower site vs having two separate MARCS voice comm radio sites. Then again, there is a ~15 mile gap between Salem and Canton where I suppose that tower might provide some additional coverage, and the current Salem site is quite busy. So perhaps it will be a separate voice comm site.

Mike

Last edited:

jerk

Thank you for posting that. Technically, I think that site is going to be in NW Columbiana Co rather than Stark. Given its close proximity to the current Salem tower, and given how strong the signal off of the current site is into Jefferson Co from the Salem tower, I have to wonder if MARCS will simply move the Salem site over to this new tower once it is erected.

If I'm not mistaken, the current Salem site is on the ~800 foot WNEO tower. The proposed new site is something like 7 miles away from the current Salem site. I really couldn't picture them having two separate MARCS sites given the coverage of the current site. I coudl be wrong though.

I'm obviously not doubting the construction of a new tower. I'm merely speculating that the existing Salem radio site may be moved over to the new tower site vs having two separate MARCS voice comm radio sites. Then again, there is a ~15 mile gap between Salem and Canton where I suppose that tower might provide some additional coverage, and the current Salem site is quite busy. So perhaps it will be a separate voice comm site.

Mike
Usually newspapers never get the "technical" details right anyway, so it does bear watching to see what will happen.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
SIte is online:

6F10 - 17

Primary CC at this time is 868.725

I can't monitor it direct right now, but i will tomorrow and get all relevant data.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I don't have a good enough signal from Louisville, may have to make a trip to Alliance. Thanks for the post.

Not sure a trip would be worth it -- Not sure what you will hear on there at this point. But I did get all the info for it [its in the DB] such as primary/alt cc, site neighbors, site alias. It definitely is up and running in trunking mode. Not sure when all the activity will start on it.

It's a tad farther away from me than the Salem tower is. The Salem site is significantly stronger down my way. I'm at 1200' elevation and I had to use a 3-element 800 mhz beam up 40 feet and pointed in that direction to copy the Alliance tower well enough to get the site data.... I can't copy it well enough to get good decode on audio.

mike

xusmarine1979

Not sure a trip would be worth it -- Not sure what you will hear on there at this point. But I did get all the info for it [its in the DB] such as primary/alt cc, site neighbors, site alias. It definitely is up and running in trunking mode. Not sure when all the activity will start on it.

It's a tad farther away from me than the Salem tower is. The Salem site is significantly stronger down my way. I'm at 1200' elevation and I had to use a 3-element 800 mhz beam up 40 feet and pointed in that direction to copy the Alliance tower well enough to get the site data.... I can't copy it well enough to get good decode on audio.

mike

Ahh, ok. I can hear it from here, just not that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.